A speaker for all music types?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All

Is there any such thing as a speaker for all types of music? The reason I ask is that I have Esoteric MG-20 speakers which sound fantastic with most (well recorded?) types of music but with some rock C.D.’s the sound can be quite thin with what appears to be lack of dynamics.

Playing Faith No More – The Real Thing (re-mastered, but not the MoFi version) the sound is horrible sort of like a cheap portable radio. The same goes for Led Zeppelin Remasters.

I tend to think this is due to the actual C.D.”s themselves but when looking at something like the Amazon reviews the sound quality is rarely mentioned.

A

Anonymous

Hi Zekezebra,

I like to think my Elacs do an admirable job with most types of music, but to be honest The Real Thing sounds thin on any cdp - amp - speaker combo I've ever owned. Some cds just aren't that well recorded.

Sincerely,

Jack

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I'm going to go out on a limb here,and I think many might disagree with me.

Thinking about it, I don't think so. I think it depends on the criteria under consideration.

On one hand you could look at whether a speaker is technically correct as far as specs go and use that as a basis for it suiting all types of music.

On the other hand, how are certain types of music supposed to sound? Let's take classical as an example. Some poeple might want an attacking, detailed sound that demands their attention. Others might want to relax to it and prefer a smoother presentation.

Which one is correct? I'll tell you which one - the one you prefer.

Personally, I think that a speaker might sound great for some types of music, but not exceptional for others. I have a few speakers which I'll recommend as all rounders should people ask, but that doesn't necessarily make them the best choice for all types of music, or for all customers.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
zekezebra:

Hi All

Is there any such thing as a speaker for all types of music? The reason I ask is that I have Esoteric MG-20 speakers which sound fantastic with most (well recorded?) types of music but with some rock C.D.'s the sound can be quite thin with what appears to be lack of dynamics.

Playing Faith No More - The Real Thing (re-mastered, but not the MoFi version) the sound is horrible sort of like a cheap portable radio. The same goes for Led Zeppelin Remasters.

I tend to think this is due to the actual C.D."s themselves but when looking at something like the Amazon reviews the sound quality is rarely mentioned.

I know you are looking for just a pair of speakers but really, if you like faith no more (and that classic rock type) get yourself a turntable plus a pair of A.R.T and be happy ever after.

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I don't think such a creature exists but if pressed, I'd say floorstanders have a better chance of reproducing a wider range of music than a compact bookshelf speaker. I own a pair of Tannoy D700s, large floorstanders which were part of the company's Definition range from the early 1990s and I'm happy with the way they replay heavy metal, blues, classical, fusion jazz and techno.

A

Anonymous

Back in my early years of hi-fi we had a horrible thing called an equalizer that could sort things out. I had a rather high end one from onkyo that i used to make some recordings sound more pleasant but mostly it was not used.

jalaba

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
i have a B&W 685 and a Monitor Audio BR5 speakers powered by a Roksan Kandy K2 Amp and a Cambridge Audio 740c as my cd player. plays 85% metal music..i never had a problem playing them at loud volumes, excellent synergy. i use the BR5 for more bass. both speakers are excellent all-rounders.

T

the record spot

If you're using digital sources, then the amplifier is arguably the greatest factor in the replay chain. However, I have found the Mission speakers that I use currently are excellent in handling all we throw at them. That said, it's as much down to the blending of the electronics in the system than one particular element therein.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts