A spare Marantz M-CR603 ?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I am beginning to think I ought to buy another Marantz M-CR603 and stash it away in a cupboard. Just in case no-one else ever makes an affordable, high quality 'all-in-one' with everything the way I like it. (CD player, FM, AirPlay, digital optical input etc.)

Right now there is a vast gulf in price between the NaimUniti 2 and my Marantz M-CR603 with nothing in between that really does the same job. (Please correct me if i'm wrong.)

The Arcam Solo 'all-in-ones' won't do the same job and I can't think of any others.

Marantz might replace the M-CR603 but the replacement might not be as good and/or might drop CD replay or FM or whatever.

If mine 'conks out' eventually (hopefully it won't), I might not be able to get anything as good without going back to multiple boxes or spending over £2500 for a Naim!

Hmmmm.

C'mon Ken, give us a KI Sig version!

matthewpiano

I'm sure there will always be something similar available - even now Sony and Denon make very similar machines to a similarly high standard of construction and sound quality - but I know where you are coming from. I've thought that about one or two things over time. You find something you like so much that you are afriad of ever being without it and not being able to replace it.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Sometimes all the bits 'just work' together and your frightened of the manufacturers changing something and spoiling it. I'm a bit like that with my 2010 Mac Mini that I use as a media centre, which surely is partly what it was designed to be. From 2011 Apple have gone and removed the DVD drive which from my perspective makes the current model less useful: to rip CDs I would either have to connect a separate USB drive (which defeats the object of it being an all-in-one) or share the DVD drive in my iMac, which is upstairs at the opposite end of the house. I can't be alone in thinking it was a mistake: used 2010 Minis seem to be bringing more money on eBay than new 2011 models.

John Duncan

matthewpiano said:
I'm sure there will always be something similar available - even now Sony and Denon make very similar machines to a similarly high standard of construction and sound quality

+1 - there'll always be something available that meets your needs (I think)

matthewpiano said:
You find something you like so much that you are afriad of ever being without it and not being able to replace it.

Not so sure - I can't think of anything irreplacable

John Duncan said:
matthewpiano said:
I'm sure there will always be something similar available - even now Sony and Denon make very similar machines to a similarly high standard of construction and sound quality

+1 - there'll always be something available that meets your needs (I think)

matthewpiano said:
You find something you like so much that you are afriad of ever being without it and not being able to replace it.

Not so sure - I can't think of anything irreplacable

Too true. Every brand gives you something different.

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
I know the feeling. I, and many others, do it with golf stuff. But something always comes out which is better than what you have, and so rather than being able to buy the new version, you're stuck with two of the old one.

Hence why I have an unused golf club, specially made for me, that I waited weeks for and which cost rather a lot of money, sitting in a cupboard unused and unloved, and financially worthless.

byakuya83

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
In what way do the Arcam 'solos' not do the same? Are they lacking wifi or airplay?

I know Arcam has the wireless dongle and ipod adapter so there's a work around.

Also, as pointed out, the Denon has a system called CEOL that has many great features. Although I don't think airplay comes as standard and that it requires an update of sorts.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
byakuya83 said:
In what way do the Arcam 'solos' not do the same? Are they lacking wifi or airplay?

Yes. No AirPlay. Also no digital optical connection at the back to connect my TV/Humax/Blu-ray.

byakuya83 said:
I know Arcam has the wireless dongle and ipod adapter so there's a work around.

More bits/boxes/faff/cables than I need. No thanks. I don't like 'workarounds' and avoid them if at all possible.

byakuya83 said:
Also, as pointed out, the Denon has a system called CEOL that has many great features. Although I don't think airplay comes as standard and that it requires an update of sorts.

Yes it's basically very similar to my M-CR603 inside (both Denon and Marantz are effectively part of the same company D&M Holdings) only it's made out of plastic and I don't like the look of it. So I would be better off getting another M-CR603 with it's better build and - slightly - better performance and better looks.

I think I will get a black one and 'retire' my silver model to it's box under the stairs as a spare.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Irrelevant to your position, but the marantz doesn't quite do everything I would want. My ideal all in one would have an iPod / iPhone dock (on the denon, not the marantz) and dab (on the marantz, not the Denon). Maybe one of them will release my perfect unit next year?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
BenLaw said:
Irrelevant to your position, but the marantz doesn't quite do everything I would want. My ideal all in one would have an iPod / iPhone dock ...

AirPlay (as opposed to an integrated dock) allows me to use the iPhone as source/tuner/controller/remote from where I sit, rather than having it physically plugged in across the room somewhere.

Of course, alternatively, one can just plug the iPhone's/iPod's usb connector straight into the front of the M-CR603 (using it's DAC rather than the one in the iDevice).

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
chebby said:
I am beginning to think I ought to buy another Marantz M-CR603 and stash it away in a cupboard. Just in case no-one else ever makes an affordable, high quality 'all-in-one' with everything the way I like it. (CD player, FM, AirPlay, digital optical input etc.)

Right now there is a vast gulf in price between the NaimUniti 2 and my Marantz M-CR603 with nothing in between that really does the same job. (Please correct me if i'm wrong.)

The Arcam Solo 'all-in-ones' won't do the same job and I can't think of any others.

Marantz might replace the M-CR603 but the replacement might not be as good and/or might drop CD replay or FM or whatever.

If mine 'conks out' eventually (hopefully it won't), I might not be able to get anything as good without going back to multiple boxes or spending over £2500 for a Naim!

Hmmmm.

C'mon Ken, give us a KI Sig version!
I wouldn't bother if I was you.

Technology moves on so quickly there will always be something new and improved. Just because the Marantz serves your purpose at present it may not in the future. A manufacturer will bring something new out, with additional features which you don't even know you need at the moment but will become indispensable in the future. This is just progress and lets face it you don't want to be left to get rid of two old dinosaur units, especially when their prices plummet due to the new model which replaces it.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
chebby said:
BenLaw said:
Irrelevant to your position, but the marantz doesn't quite do everything I would want. My ideal all in one would have an iPod / iPhone dock ...

AirPlay (as opposed to an integrated dock) allows me to use the iPhone as source/tuner/controller/remote from where I sit, rather than having it physically plugged in across the room somewhere.

Of course, alternatively, one can just plug the iPhone's/iPod's usb connector straight into the front of the M-CR603 (using it's DAC rather than the one in the iDevice).

Oh, I know - personally I like the added option and charging ability tho. Said it would be irrelevant for you ;)

byakuya83

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Airplay is excellent for lounging on the sofa and choosing what you want your hifi to play. Does the Marantz have wireless or does it use an ethernet connection? Sounds like a great little system.

I rarely use the radio but it seems the Denon's lack of DAB is offset but its use of internet radio and a dedicated app.

As someone has said above, it's not inconceivable that one of these companies will release an all-in-one system that covers everything, soon enough.

EDIT

Just looked up the Marantz online, seems it also does internet radio and has its own app. Unfortunately it says that it connects to the internet only via ethernet. Seems an awesome all-rounder though.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Chebby, does news of the extra functionality of the Denon New Ceol (particularly the gapless support) make you want to wait for Marantz to release their version?

Already gapless with AirPlay (from our computers or the iPhone) and wired (iPhone plugged in directly to front USB of M-CR603). This was one of the absolute essentials given the amount of speech/drama/documentary stuff I have ripped to iTunes. Listening to a drama series would be a complete nonsense otherwise.

The most encouraging thing about the new Denon CEOLs is that there is still a version with built-in CD player.

If Marantz have any plans to replace the M-CR603 in a similar way (not seen it mentioned in Andrew's blogs yet*) then I might get along and hear the new one as soon as it appears and then decide whether to buy another 'original' - whilst old stocks last - or upgrade (if it's better).

*Although Andrew's D+M blogs are appearing at an alarming rate so I might be suprised when I check again in a mo.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts