A question for Andrew regarding Meridian DSP Speakers

gooner26

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
Andrew you may or maynot be able to help me on this, no problems if you can't.

I'm pondering either 2nd hand DSP5200 + Squeezebox Touch set-up or going down the seperates route ie DAC + Amp + Speakers, my budget is £3500 which would also be enough for 2nd hand Meridian 5200's.

Can i get better performance for the money going the seperates way or would i be paying for the conveiniance of an all in one set up going the DSP way? ie: not good value for money in terms of actual sound quality?

regards danny

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I don't think there are any compromises involved in using the Meridian digital speakers, but I'd suggest a better source may be in order in place of the Squeezebox to make the most of the speakers.

A

Anonymous

There are many new streamers coming on to the market that you may like to hear before committing to Meridian.

Meridian are accused here of being a bit polite in their sound so you need to hear some yourself to see if you agree or like the sound.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
You should listen to them first but the 5200's are superb and at that price you are getting a lot of speaker for your money. As Andrew mentions you would be wise to look at a better front end, the new Sooloos components will give you the sound to match the DSP's and although not squeezebox money they are now available at more moderate price points.

gooner26

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
Thank you for the reply's.

Meridian owners i have chatted to swear by using the Squeezebox Touch as it is affordable plus it has very low Jitter.

regards danny

gooner26

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
The thing that put's me off of Sooloos is the price, as you say though they apparently are coming down in price and the new version only need's an ipad for control therefore bringing the price down even more.

regards danny

gooner26

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
Nick how would the 5200's perform if i plugged in say one of Sony's cheaper blu-ray player model's via coaxial?

Obviously i would not be getting the surround sound part but for 2 ch movie watching it would be great i bet wouldnt it?

regards danny

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts