A new system

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have relocating and seeking suggestions as to how to create a new home system which at its core strength is music though while also able to play movies.

What I have is a few DVD's though many CD's that have been ripped to the computer and the iPod (classic 6th Gen).Have recently started to download movies to the iPod, to play on a T.V-swayed by the convience of iTunes and will probably continue in this digital direction. Having to cut back to travel I have no amp, receiver, speakers, docking station or T.V, nada.

When I set myself up again my preference is for a streamline system, with an emphasis on ease of use and reduced size. Hence wireless and a good remote control.

I have read about Apple Airport Express though unsure as to whether it can play movies - even though it may mean an upgrade of the iPod. Looked into the Zeppelin, under the docking station angle though not sure it will play movies, and in any case it's convenience comes at a price which if anything seems it be better spent on a micro system.

Value for money is important, with a budget of around $1500 (excluding T.V).

I would appreciate any suggestions.

idc

Steve42, for streaming films you need Apple TV and the B&W Zeppelin will is a speaker dock only. When you say you have downloaded films to play on TV there are small TVs which have built in docks for ipod. Bose do a portable battery speaker dock and I can recommend the standard Sounddock, which is still very convenient. A laptop with itunes, an ipod, a Bose and a small TV with dock, I do not see any how you get more convenient than that. Streaming the films to a TV via Apple TV would improve quality and only add one more piece of equipment. All is well within your budget.

A

Anonymous

Actually the Zeppelin will output video from a docked ipod via s-video. As such, a Zeppelin and a portable TV could be all you need to add to your computer and ipod.

A

Anonymous

Had a look at the Zeppelin site thanks Castroman and idc, though couldn't find out much about the remote. Like it's ease of use, whether it can can be used to control both music and movies (like rewind, fast forward), and it's range?

Have given some thought to a micro system that has a dock for the iPod. As a starting point the Tannoy Mercury F1's look interesting.What's your take?

A

Anonymous

With regard to the Zeppelin's remote, it is very basic. I've never used it for controlling videos but I'm sure it will pause, FF & RW without problems, just as it does with music. However, where it is limited is that it will not allow any control of the menus, ie. you cannot switch between albums or go from music to video. You can switch between inputs, though. That is to say you can switch between ipod and another external source plugged into the back.

idc

Can't help with specific micro systems, but you do not need to limit yourself to one with a dock. If there are phono inputs you can get cables that connect the ipod to the phonos, the best being the GQ-24 from Russ Andrews . The only disadvantage is that the ipod does not charge whilst connected this way.

TRENDING THREADS