A new hifi system for my house.

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
I need a new hifi and have a couple of thoughts so would like any comments.

The new hifi will be 2 channel and for a medium sized lounge and i will mainly play the TV through it but also cd's and dvd. DAB is also necessary. I cannot have separates in the lounge, a 1 box solution to fit on a shelf of my LCD rack is needed. I currently have an Onkyo CR-515 with iq5 speakers in the 4th bedroom which is a home office. The options i think i have are these.

1/ Bring the Onkyo downstairs and replace it with either;

a/ straight replacement

b/ Cheap separates system like the £500 cambridge audio package richer sounds are currently selling. Remember that this is a small room and the speakers are in the corners 2.5 metres apart up against the wall.

2/ Leave the Onkyo where it is and get an Arcam Solo and speakers. The speakers must be floorstanders as the wife doesnt like speakers stands as she thinks they wil topple over. The speakers must be small physically and 'look nice' to keep the wife happy. More iq5's, possibly the se's are fine size wise. If stand mounts come with specially designed stands and can be fixed to the speakers my wife may relent. Whichever iget, the speakers will be close to walls and positioned either side of a 32" LCD TV. I would like the total budget not to exceed £1500 if possible but if i can get away with less so much the better. What would you recommend?

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
Would this be better than say epos M5 speakers on good stands? Happy to go along with the wife so far but if i am missing out on quality sound can always get another wife:)) Clarity on speech from the TV is vital. Is the additionlal cost of the arcam worth it over say a linn classik?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
They'd be as good, I'd suggest, and more domestically acceptable, clearly.

I might have suggested the Linn, as I still like it very much, had you not said DAB was a requirement.

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
If there is a significant price differential then i could do without the DAB as most of what i listen to could come through sky. Would the Linn be a cheaper and / or better option? Sound quality and clarity, especially from the TV and dvd input, remains a priority.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Corporate view here at WHFSV is that the Arcam is the one to go for. But I still really rate the Linn, especially if you don't need DAB. And you can find the Classik for around £680, or in packages such as this with the Komponent speakers which would suit your needs very well for about £1030.

rich51080

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
I own the Linn Classik and it is better than my old Rotel kit. Buy some good speakers and also good wiring is important. I use £900 standmounts and they are heavenly to listen to with the Classik. Linns own Komponent speakers are worth a purchase as the synergy is good.

The Linn is better than the Solo imho. And the option of adding a power is a plus. Great product at a bargain price at www.superfi.co.uk

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
Another option i have just thought about is Cyrus. I can fit a cyrus integrated amp and cd player in the same space that the Arcam would go. Prices would be within budget as well. Would this be a significant step up from the Arcam and be worth losing the one box solution? Again it would have to be used with kef iq5se's and i would have to go for the 6 series for both boxes not the 8.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts