A new choral reference recording?

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I've just acquired a new CD "Steffani - Stabat Mater" with Cecilia Bartoli and others. I know maybe this type of music is a minority interest on this CB but this is simply stunning, the music, the singing and the recording. If you want to show off your hifi then you won't get any better than this. If you like beautiful music, wonderfully sung in a demonstration quality recording then this is simple spine-tingling.

I just had to share my delight with you!

Chris

PS It's available as a download too.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the tip.

I have the Pergolesi Stabat Mater Miserere 11, which I enjoy: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pergolesi-Stabat-Mater-Giovanni-Battista/dp/B0000041M9/ref=sr_1_14?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1385054465&sr=1-14&keywords=pergolesi+stabat+mater

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Thanks for the tip.

I have the Pergolesi Stabat Mater Miserere 11, which I enjoy: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pergolesi-Stabat-Mater-Giovanni-Battista/dp/B0000041M9/ref=sr_1_14?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1385054465&sr=1-14&keywords=pergolesi+stabat+mater

If you like the Pergolesi Cno try the Alessandrini version which has a more modern recording than yours and very beautiful singing. (It won a Rosette in the old Penguin Guide.)

Chris

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Covenanter said:
I've just acquired a new CD "Steffani - Stabat Mater" with Cecilia Bartoli and others. I know maybe this type of music is a minority interest on this CB but this is simply stunning, the music, the singing and the recording. If you want to show off your hifi then you won't get any better than this. If you like beautiful music, wonderfully sung in a demonstration quality recording then this is simple spine-tingling.

Chris

Sounds good on Spotify as well.

. . . Try on Spotify:

The Sixteen & Harry Christophers - 'the Sound of the Sixteen'

. . . have you tried:

Tallis Scholars, 'Allegri Miserere' on the Grimell Label, recorded in Merton College Chapel, Oxford.

CJSF

malthus80

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the recommendation. I love good choral music. Cds i would recommend The sixteen- allegri-miserere and anything by rihards dubra.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
CJSF said:
Covenanter said:

Chris

Sounds good on Spotify as well.

. . . Try on Spotify:

The Sixteen & Harry Christophers - 'the Sound of the Sixteen'

. . . have you tried:

Tallis Scholars, 'Allegri Miserere' on the Grimell Label, recorded in Merton College Chapel, Oxford.

CJSF

The Allegri is indeed a classic recording with the choir split so that the solo group is some way away from the rest. This results in the most wonderful acoustic effect. A purist would say that the treble should be a boy but Alison Stamp is simply outstanding and would be hard to better.

I don't have that particular Sixteen recording but I agree that they are a wonderful choir. See them live if you get the chance.

Chris

Thanks for the tip on the new recording.

I think I've mentioned the Allegri Miserere here before too. On the Gimell label these days, though it was originally released on CfP (Classics for Pleasure) as an LP. In effect it was Gimell's first ever recording.

My old chum Steve C Smith made the recording and he is still at Gimell. http://www.gimell.com/musicstore-about-us.aspx

(He's the one with his legs open!)

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
nopiano said:
Thanks for the tip on the new recording.

I think I've mentioned the Allegri Miserere here before too. On the Gimell label these days, though it was originally released on CfP (Classics for Pleasure) as an LP. In effect it was Gimell's first ever recording.

My old chum Steve C Smith made the recording and he is still at Gimell. http://www.gimell.com/musicstore-about-us.aspx

(He's the one with his legs open!)

That CfP recording is one of my standard test LP's when doing any set up on the TT, I have worn one copy out, on my second now, have a third waiting.

Understand the childs voice thing, however I prefer the control that is achived by the mature female voice . . . I also like the way the recording stretches into my 'back garden' and turnes my listening room acoustics into a Chapel . . . I have been listening to it since it was first released and still do not tire of it.

CJSF

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
You may be interested in this article by Andrew E, which I read yesterday.

http://www.gramophone.co.uk/blog/high-fidelity/the-tallis-scholars-embrace-the-sonic-beauty-of-pure-audio-blu-ray

Whether I'd enjoy this recording more than the CD version is a moot point, but I'm tempted!

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Sorreltiger said:
You may be interested in this article by Andrew E, which I read yesterday.

http://www.gramophone.co.uk/blog/high-fidelity/the-tallis-scholars-embrace-the-sonic-beauty-of-pure-audio-blu-ray

Whether I'd enjoy this recording more than the CD version is a moot point, but I'm tempted!

Having read the artical . . . the technology frightens the life out of this 'old guy', we know that CD rarly if ever matches good old fashoned analogue, are we saying that this new fangled presentation(s?) does do the business . . . ?

CJSF (an audio dinasor?)

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I was interested in the comment below the article; "One thing you should mention is this; without a secure, encrypted connection via HDMI v1.3 or higher, authenticated by the HDCP hand-shake against piracy, the uncompressed 24/96K LPCM Stereo version will not play, let alone the multi-channel version. The Coaxial and Optical outputs are automatically down converted to standard definition now and all but the least affordable Blu-ray players lost their built-in DACs and analog outputs when Analog Sunset took effect this year.All AVR's and Preamp/Processors built before 2008 lack the version of HDMI that allows playback of the uncompressed content. All 2 channel preamps regardless of when they were built are left behind as well because they dont support digital inputs."

So what exactly do you need to play these in stereo, will a Sony S790BDP be OK?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts