A mix of old and new for a reasonable price?

Hi all, I'm kind of new to all this HiFi stuff but I'm fairly techy and have an idea of what I want so please bear with me!

So, the Mrs wanted to buy an all in one record player as she is a hipster, I have a fair few bits of vinyl that I haven't listened to for years and was quite happy with Spotify either through my Acoustic Energy Aego M in the living room or the ProSonus 4.5 actives which I have hooked up to my pc (£120, bargain), however the chromecast has made me think I would actually quite like a decent seperates system with a turntable for the dining room and to keep the hipster in my life happy (best of both worlds).

So, here is my plan:

Get a decent amp with phono stage either from Ebay or buy the Onkyo A-9010 so highly recommended on this site. I'm not sure about this one, is an older amp likely to degrade sound quality?

Buy a second hand turntable, preferably something with a wooden trim etc that looks kinda vintage (I'm not overly concerned about the sound quality of this but as good as possible for a reasonable sum, say £50 - 100)

Speakers, here I'm not sure. I'm on a budget here so I'm thinking second hand may be a good option, it seems like you can get decent speakers second hand for good money if you are willing to pick them up. Now the Mrs would also be made happy by these looking a bit vintage and wood finish but this is not my main concern, so any suggestions are very gratefully received in this regard.

There isn't really a bookshelf to put them on so I'd be looking for either speaker stands or floor standers. I listen to a lot of heavy rock (Led Zepp, Black Sabbath fan) and other guitar music, sometimes hip hop but more rock.

Then I buy a chromecast audio and everyone is happy.

So essentially for the second hand components is there anything I should be especially keeping an eye out for which is very good for a reasonable price second hand? (I'm sure the answers to this are endless but some recommendations would be good as I'm lost in a world of manufacturers and model numbers at the moment).

jmjones

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Hi Simon,

Looks a good plan so far. Try these for a few thoughts:

On the amp, it's well worth looking second hand. Prices on "last year's model" drop a lot. Not too much goes wrong with solid state electronics, and I would suggest good amplifiers depreciate faster than sound technology advances. Better value.

On the turntable, it's the opposite story. Quite a few "wear parts", such as the stylus. Budget for a replacement stylus or try and find one with a careful owner.

Speakers are very much a matter of taste and application in your listening room. I'd try and listen to few likely candidates first, possibly getting an idea for some marques house sound. I've always enjoyed Kef and Monitor Audio as I prefer what I would refer to as clarity. Other people prefer enhanced bass, etc.

if you describe what type of sound you prefer, and the room in which you will be listening, I'm sure you will get some better suggestions for speakers.

Good luck with the search!

Thanks JM some handy hints there.

In terms of sound I like a fairly wide stage, detailed mids but also a well rounded bass sound for some of the more doomy metal/rock I listen to (I may be asking a bit much for a low budget I think). The room is 3.8m by 3.3m with a fairly high ceiling (victorian).

I hear you about the amp, will have a think about this and keep an eye on auction sites (any suggestions on models to look for gratefully received).

The turntable I dont mind buying an older one and sprucing it up tbh, dont think I will get away with a modern design on this anyway (as much as I like the look of the Pro-Ject stuff) and anything else that would please the Mrs seems to be higher end than I am prepared to go.

Speaker wise a couple of things on my radar are the Diamond 9.1's (although from what I read could be lacking bass) and the Tannoy Mercury v1 which I am more leaning towards at the moment. The speakers will need to have wood/wood look cabinets.

I think I may buy speakers new as they are not too expensive and who knows what the previous owner has been doing with a second hand set.

jmjones

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Hi Simon,

I don't have personal experience of them but the Tannoys/9.1s should do the job.

Try something like a Marantz amp, for a fairly warm and rounded sound. About 60 listed on fleabay at the moment including some PM 66se's waiting for bids - older, well respected and has 50w/channel and a phono stage (don't forget you'll be needing that!). A lot of more modern amps have foregone the phono stage in preference to digital inputs. Otherwise its an extra phono pre-amp box - and more expense. A cheaper amp helps divert funds to the other items too.

You can also buy older Pro-Ject turntables with a phono stage built in, like the one in my signature. You can make just about any amp work with that, although the older Pro-Jects tend not to be wood finish.

Probably best move on the speakers is new or maybe ex-dem, as you suggest. I always advise people to listen to the speakers. In my opinion they are the make or break for most systems. People find it difficult to live with a tonal balance they don't like.

Happy hunting!

OK I've picked up some bits:

A Phllips Type 22 GA 247/152 Turntable which is obviously very old but looks good so the Mrs is happy, I'll spruce it up and we shall see what it sounds like, if its terrible I'll sell it on. £15!!!!

A Creek 4040, this is the original 1982 model with the Din sockets (so looks like I'll need an adapter for my chromecast). This is a real looker IMO and is apparently a great sounding amp so I'm happy. Paid £70 which I know is the upper end for these but its in good condition.

The search for speakers is on, I've just been to a couple of hifi shops in Manchester and tried a few things:

Diamond 9.1

I can really see what people mean by the detail in these things, they really are amazing in the upper ranges. Unfortunately there is just not enough low end for me, the umph is really missing.

Q Acoustics 3020

Honestly these sounded muddy to me, I was really struggling to find the definition with them, not even on the radar for me really.

Monitor Audio Bronze 2

I loved these, absolutely loved them. I asked if i could try some MA MR2's which they didnt have so they hooked these up for me, they are out of my price range but I really think they would suit what I listen to well. So I had a word and they can do them for £220, its a great price and I might just have to break my budget for these.

Dali Zensor 1

Great sounding speakers, much of the definition of the Diamond 9.1 with a more rounded sound. Just a shame they are £200, if these were ~£130 I'd snap them up.

So its looking like im gonna break the budget and get the Bronze 2, £220 is a good price though. Right?

Thanks JM, I enjoy a bit of research and some well informed shopping!

Looking at it the Monitor Audio BX2 there doesnt seem to be much difference between this and the Bronze 2. I'll go for these I think, according to internet land they are very similar and the price is really good at £150.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts