A Lunchtime of Mixed Emotions

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Now there's a good title for a autobiography or novel. [:)]

I popped along to Music Matters at lunch today to drop off the various mains cables that were so callously shrugged aside by my Primares. It was almost as if the two separates had simply said: "Bothered?" Barry was phlegmatic, reflecting that, yes, some kit just doesn't benefit from such things, or will only do so under certain circumstances (possibly down to your electricity supply). So, my card was swiped clean of £400+ of cables and I was ready to load it with some speakers.

Ah, sorry, not got anything in your stated price range. "??????!" Nope, we've got up to £900 speakers and items well outside the range you speak of (he nodded at the rather smart B&W 805 Diamonds at close on £4k and I watched a guy delivering two simply huge boxes containing the 800 monsters). Hmmm, maybe not. Sadly the speakers that he would like me to try are all still out on loan. He will email me when they return. I was, to say the least, somewhat deflated. I was looking forward to spending some time listening to a couple of alternatives over the weekend. Now I will be confined to doing what I'm supposed to do - tidy the front room! [:(]

He also said that there are some Spendor SA1s lurking at another distant branch and these could be summoned at need. However, he said something interesting: he'd heard them over at the Solihull branch and liked the sound BUT added that (in his own opinion) they are very much 'near field' speakers which quickly lose their impact if your listening position is outside the ideal triangle. Yes, close to, they sound good but not further away. Which leads me to ask you SA1 owners where do you sit in relation to yours?

On the plus side, he also said that (also in his opinion) my system is a very nice one and he doubts I am likely to obtain any significant gains without spending a lot more than the range of up to £1500 (ish) I have mentioned. So, I suppose I should be reassured...shouldn't I?

And yet, I am tempted to take a trip over to Coventry - maybe some time spent at Frank Harvey will be helpful? I wonder if I can tempt the OH into a day over there one weekend? [;)]

[Edit] Oh, I forgot to mention: I was also hoping to take delivery of some Castle Richmond 2 speakers off Fleabay for the front room, but they're taking their time in arriving, too.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Your S3E speakers were £900 at launch (£1200 in today's money probably) and highly respected.

People only got to thinking about them as £450 speakers after a rash of clearance deals (especially by Sevenoaks) around the time the SA1s came out.

I would hang on to them if I were you until you have £2k for something like the Spendor A6s.

Of course you might be unhappy not upgrading/tweaking something in which case why not look at upgrading your DAC instead? (Going along with the principle of sorting out sources first.)

A

Anonymous

The SA1s are indeed an improvement over the S3e and also have a different presentation. Whether this would justify selling the S3e and then handing out a lot of cash for them only you can decide; possibly not.

I wouldn't say that the SA1 is any more a near-field monitor than the S3e. I use mine about 2.8m apart and much the same distance away. They sound excellent. I wouldn't use them in a triangle more than 3m apart and 3m away though. Problem is, I'm not sure what I'd replace them with!

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
chebby:

Your S3E speakers were £900 at launch (£1200 in today's money probably) and highly respected.

People only got to thinking about them as £450 speakers after a rash of clearance deals (especially by Sevenoaks) around the time the SA1s came out.

I would hang on to them if I were you until you have £2k for something like the Spendor A6s.

Of course you might be unhappy not upgrading/tweaking something in which case why not look at upgrading your DAC instead? (Going along with the principle of sorting out sources first.)

Well, let's face it, I got the S3e pair for £600 (thanks to the Iggle devil pointing me in the Sevenoaks direction) which was most pleasing at the time. I think I just need to convince myself that there are no viable alternatives worth spending good money on. If so, I reckon I will attempt to rest on my laurels for a while and stop taking up my time fiddling and tweaking.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
ESP2009:chebby:

Well, let's face it, I got the S3e pair for £600 (thanks to the Iggle devil pointing me in the Sevenoaks direction) which was most pleasing at the time. I think I just need to convince myself that there are no viable alternatives worth spending good money on. If so, I reckon I will attempt to rest on my laurels for a while and stop taking up my time fiddling and tweaking.

Totally agree with Chebby, you'd have to spend a serious amount to better them (wait til someone starts selling the SA1's at a knock down price - yeah I know, it'll be a long wait) so leave well alone just because we got 'em cheap!
emotion-5.gif
. Seriously though, I am still looking at changing stands and adding a DAC to the streamer.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
igglebert:The SA1s are indeed an improvement over the S3e and also have a different presentation. Whether this would justify selling the S3e and then handing out a lot of cash for them only you can decide; possibly not. I wouldn't say that the SA1 is any more a near-field monitor than the S3e. I use mine about 2.8m apart and much the same distance away. They sound excellent. I wouldn't use them in a triangle more than 3m apart and 3m away though. Problem is, I'm not sure what I'd replace them with!

Perhaps I should be satisfied with what I have now and maybe wait until the next round of bargainous deals as the Top Guns of 2010 get replaced in due course by newer models.

In the meantime, I may just spend a while tomorrow morning checking on listening position and such. I reckon I must listen at the apex of a 4m by 5m isosceles triangle. Not much I can do about it, I'm afraid.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
mitch65: Totally agree with Chebby, you'd have to spend a serious amount to better them (wait til someone starts selling the SA1's at a knock down price - yeah I know, it'll be a long wait) so leave well alone just because we got 'em cheap!
emotion-5.gif
. Seriously though, I am still looking at changing stands and adding a DAC to the streamer.

There you go - you posted as I was composing and echoed some of my developing thoughts.
emotion-21.gif

However, you reminded me that I was intending to experiment with Primare CDP to DAC to amp via coax and XLR. I have a sneaking suspicion it will be no improvement. If I were to upgrade the DAC for even better sound, would I get the functionality of the Dacmagic without spending over £1k anyway. Back to Plan A - wait for the price drops to occur.

A

Anonymous

ESP2009:
igglebert:The SA1s are indeed an improvement over the S3e and also have a different presentation. Whether this would justify selling the S3e and then handing out a lot of cash for them only you can decide; possibly not. I wouldn't say that the SA1 is any more a near-field monitor than the S3e. I use mine about 2.8m apart and much the same distance away. They sound excellent. I wouldn't use them in a triangle more than 3m apart and 3m away though. Problem is, I'm not sure what I'd replace them with!

Perhaps I should be satisfied with what I have now and maybe wait until the next round of bargainous deals as the Top Guns of 2010 get replaced in due course by newer models.

In the meantime, I may just spend a while tomorrow morning checking on listening position and such. I reckon I must listen at the apex of a 4m by 5m isosceles triangle. Not much I can do about it, I'm afraid.

That size of listening triangle does suggest that some floorstanders might be preferable. You said that you want something to give a nicely balanced sound at low volumes; I think floorstanders could give you exactly that. Food for thought.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
igglebert: That size of listening triangle does suggest that some floorstanders might be preferable. You said that you want something to give a nicely balanced sound at low volumes; I think floorstanders could give you exactly that. Food for thought.

Those B&W 800 Diamonds would be nice!
emotion-4.gif

But then reality hits and the five ladies in my life need to be factored in. The four ferrets might enjoy applying claws to my prized possessions (unprotected by solid metal stands) and I am not sure whether the Sound Police or Style Counsellor is keen on seeing floorstanders make a return. Yes, I can enquire of the latter, but as for the former? It could be a little late to find out (particularly if trying a home demo) when they, as I have previously documented, decide to investigate newcomers with extreme prejudice. Even the B&W Daleks might have to yield to inquisitive little search engines such as ours!

Oh, and having just conducted a quick measurement, the speakers are actually 3.5m apart, and I usually sit 4.5m away from them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts