A little DAC clarity please

AV-Fan

May 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm thinking an Audiofly DAC or similar to upgrade Spotify Premium sound quality into my A/V system.

However, I need to understand clearly whether or not this is a worthwhile or voided route to take because of an AVR being used.So far, I gather that using a Netbook > USB cable > DAC > RCA Output (directly) into Stereo Integrated Amp would bring sound quality improvements attributed to using the external DAC in a 2.0 stereo setup. Digital to Analogue processes One !I am using the pre-outs on an AVR into a Stereo Integrated Amp so I can use the AVR's bass management Subwoofer control for a 2.1 system.Here's where I become unsure, sending on the improved signal from the DAC to an AVR. Does the AVR cause a detriment or even void the connected external DAC's signal by using its own internal DAC ? (and does this negate/void improvements made from adding the external Audiofly DAC earlier in the connection chain ?) Digital to Analogue processes Two ?!Using a 2.1 setup in this way should I buy a DAC , or are DAC's only good for upgrading 2.0 ?Many Thanks for all advice.

Ragworm

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
It would be helpful if you stated which AV receiver and which Stereo amp you have as that could influence the answer. Also, can you confirm which DAC you're talking about because I can't find an Audiofly one - do you mean the Audioquest Dragonfly?

The simple answer is that the output of the DAC is analogue (hence it's name: digital to analogue converter). You can feed this into the analogue input of either your AV receiver or Stereo amp - both will work. You should try both and judge the results for yourself as, personally, I doubt the pre-amp section of your AVR will outperform that of the stereo amp but if you're set on using your sub then I can see why you'd want to use the AVR.

If all you want to do is listen to Spotify Premium then before taking the plunge, you should consider other options. Depending on the price of the DAC (the Dragonfly is over £200) then there are some other ways of arriving at the same point:

- Trade in your AVR for one that supports Spotify (such as a Marantz). > £200 plus whatever you get for your old amp will go a long way towards a new one.

- Trade in your AVR for one with a USB input

- Buy a PVR (such as a Panasonic DMR) that supports Spotify and feed the digital output into your AV receiver.

- Buy a TV(such as a Samsung) that supports Spotify and feed the digital output into your AV receiver.

The advantages of these options is that you take the PC out of the equation making for a tidier solution with less boxes, less cables and a quicker set-up time (no laptop booting).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts