A good amplifier for Q Acoustics 2050i?

frogroar

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
Hello all,

I don't know if my question makes sense or if it's easy to answer, but here it goes: I have two Q Acoustics 2050i speakers, connected to an old Technics SA-EX140 amp I found in the attic one day. A friend of mine came over and said my hifi system sounded "lazy" and that the bass was way too deep. I think he's overreacting, but I kind of know what he means. The bass on those speakers is either "not present", or "too present", meaning it suffocates the other sounds a bit. As you might have noticed in the way I'm explaining this - I'm a complete newb.

So I was wondering if there is somebody here who knows if there's a better amp out there for my setup? I mean, of course there are better amps, but maybe someone has the same setup or tried different possibilities with these speakers... I'm in need for advice. :)

Thanks! ;)

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
It is a little tricky to answer with out hearing for ones self and knowing your set up as changing amp could go one of two ways in my opinion. A more powerful amp may make bass more pronounced but here is also a chance it could tame it but controlling it better. Personally I think decent power is good for bass.

I think you may be better served looking at speaker placement and you room acoustics. Try a more powerful amp to control the bass with authority but also look at how close to rear and side walls you speakers are. You could also consider some form of room treatment or just make the most of what you have with soft furnishings etc.

blairz1

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
I have had the 2050i's for 4 months, had an older Creek 4140s2 and it sounded OK with an older CD6000 Marantz Sig KI. Also tried an olader 40 watt Rotel, muddy slow bass, tried them into a nice old HT Amp Yamaha DSPA1, OK but nothing special. My best results were bi-amping (primitively) with the Rotel and Creek. Then I purchased a $400 AUD valve amp the Tec-On SE34i, 8 watts, and they sound amazing, the combo suprised the hell out of me. Valve rolled the chinese valves and even better added a turntable as a source better again. A decent size room, Q 2050i's, 8 watt valve amp and brilliant.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts