A few initial thoughts on Sky HD

mikey2008

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
Got it installed today. Mostly it looks great - got a Sony kdl-40w4500. I would say that SD is only reasonable (for the most part - some channels are better than others). On HD, BBC is fine, Sky Sports is absolutely excellent, which is what I was praying for. I find that the difference between SD and 1080i is vast, Also, the difference between 1080p and 1080i through Sky HD is smaller than I thought. The former through blu-ray is obviously superior although it's not as vast as the difference between SD and 1080i. Also, the settings on the w4500 requires quite a bit of toying with before you get a perfect picture and the settings are quite different between different channels, which means it's it's pointless to post a set of generic perfect settings. Have had the TV for 6 weeks and was greatly relieved that Sky HD provides a pretty decent picture.

mikey2008

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
Sorry, meant the difference between 1080p (through blu-ray) and 1080i (through Sky HD) is a smaller difference than SD and 1080i (both through Sky HD). This might seem obvious, but I haven't read about it before.

mikey2008

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
Not sure about Full HD relative to HD ready with Sky HD. I've got Sky+ with CRT in another room, which looks a lot better through SD, but the difference between certain HD channels through full 1080 HD TV and SD Sky+ through CRT TV is marked. Is this getting confusing?

mikey2008

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
Just another thing to note (which again may be obvious to most) is that there's a whopping amount of SD programmes broadcast on the HD channels through Sky. They should be renamed Sky Sports Partially HD etc...

A

Anonymous

yes i noticed that also i just upgraded to sky sports and all they have 80% of the time is SD programmes on sky sports HD, i mean whats the point of having HD channels if there gonna show rubbish SD all the time on it..Well i will be getting rid of the sports as its not worth it

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts