A day looking at 3d

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Thought i would go out and see what all the 3D fuss is about yesterday, so thought i would pop down to currys.

Took a look at the samsung 46c8000 first, very nice looking set. They had monsters vs aliens in 3d on the set so i watched for a while but it didnt really blow me away, the image didnt seem too stable, was getting like a double image sometimes around objects, i think this is crosstalk i could be wrong. Monsters vs aliens didnt exactly impress me on the cinema in 3d either tho so it could be the content.

Had a little watch of the lg demo, to me the picture was not as good as the samsungs altho the 3d image did seem more stable but didnt hav as much depth. Guy in currys just kept going on about the samsung tho so i left the store. told him i was going to take a look at the sony and he said he has not seen them yet but the samsung will no doubt be better anyway. So i decided to leave the store because i cant be done with idiots.

So after seeing the samsung c8000 and lg lx9900 3d demos in currys i was left feeling that my 3d experience was pretty poor and not worth looking into.

That was until i went to look at the sony center. they only had the 40hx803 in stock but i got to see a good veriety of 3d demos on the set and i was blown away by how good the 3d experience was on the sony. Even on a 40" the experience was good. The image seemed rock solid and through the entire demo i only saw 1 bit in the open range clip there was a little ghosting around a moving character for a short time but it did not effect the experience like the samsung 1 did.

The glasses felt a little tight to begin with but soon loosened and i forgot i was even wearing them. And at least the sony glasses feel as if they are worth close to the £100 asking price as they felt very well built. They also blocked out alot of light unlike the other 2 models which made for a better experience.

ill be waiting for the 46" version of the same set to come out then may take the plunge into 3d.

It may have been the setup or the content was alot better on the sony demo but to me the sony set blew the others away.

Didnt really go into looking at the 2d image on the sets but all looked fairly good. I think any set in this price range your going to be pretty happy with the 2d image.

A

Anonymous

No, i dont work for sony.

I went with an open mind but the sony just impressed me alot more. In the 3d department anyway. 2d could be a different matter.

As i said this could have been down to the content that was shown to me or how the tvs were setup.

If anybody knows where i can go and get a good demo on another set other than big stores like currys etc in the midlands area i will gladly go and be proven wrong by the other sets.

A

Anonymous

I did not get to look at the panasonic set.

I am planning on going to panasonic store next weekend to take a look at them.

How are the glasses with the panasonic as ive not heard many good reports about them, but i suppose everybody is different, ill have to go and give them a try.

D

Deleted member 2457

seagill81:

I did not get to look at the panasonic set.

I am planning on going to panasonic store next weekend to take a look at them.

How are the glasses with the panasonic as ive not heard many good reports about them, but i suppose everybody is different, ill have to go and give them a try.

The panasonic glasses gave me bad eye strain.

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Like i've mentioned before the flickering from the glasses on these 3D TV sets drives me mad and thats just after a few minutes ,

There are also times in the monster v aliens film were you'r looking direct onto a character and the character looks wafer thin when its surroundings in 3D

Though i did not notice this on film footage on the panasonic demo but these were not animated

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
I'm not really buying the whole 3D tv thing. I'm usually on board with new technological developments, when it comes to the A/V arena, but I can't help but think this is a fad that will come and go in a couple of years. I feel it's a gimmick, that will 'wow' at first, but then become tiresome because of having to wear glasses to view it. In my humble opinion, of course.

Drew McL

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
Am I the only one who i a bit disappointed by the lack of WHFS&V reviews on 3d TVs? Now that all the big guns are advertising their wares on 2d telly, I would have expected to have seen the lowdowns in the mag or webpage - but so far it is all looking a bit light. I presume it is the manufacturers not delivering TVs up for review - which strikes me as a bit suspicious.

A

Anonymous

I suppossed 3D is still a novelty at this stage and review samples are hard to come by?

D

Deleted member 2457

The samsung 40 inch has been in the mag, next month the sony will be, month after that you might see the panasonic.

A

Anonymous

I just saw the Sony 803 instore today and the 3D was I have to say very impressive. Comparing versus the VT20 which is the only other demo I've had, I preferred the Sony. The glasses on the Sony are much more comfortable and block out the light significantly more than the Panasonics. Also I noticed a much more profound flicker on the VT20 compared to the Sony.

I still think the Panasonic is a cracking set, but from what I saw today in 3D the Sony edges it.

A

Anonymous

ukpcum,

when you saw the Sony did you notice if you need to fit a little bar like the Wii (Motion Sensor) to view 3D. When i have looked on the Sony website it is only the 65" (i think) TV's that have it built in.

A

Anonymous

Yes your right, the Cinematic range or HX range are 3D ready so need the little sensor bar plus glasses to view 3D content , and the set I viewed today had one. The Signature or the LX range have everything built in, so no need for sensor bar.

Hope that helps.

A

Anonymous

ukpcum1:

I just saw the Sony 803 instore today and the 3D was I have to say very impressive. Comparing versus the VT20 which is the only other demo I've had, I preferred the Sony. The glasses on the Sony are much more comfortable and block out the light significantly more than the Panasonics. Also I noticed a much more profound flicker on the VT20 compared to the Sony.

I still think the Panasonic is a cracking set, but from what I saw today in 3D the Sony edges it.

The glasses on the Panasonic VT20 are a little different compared to other brands on the market but were designed in mind of any people who wear prescription glasses as they go over them easily aswell as people who do not wear glasses. If im honest, the glasses do not fit my head for some reason and don't rest on my ears?

As for the flicker, this will happen if the tv screen is situated near any other plasma screen in the showroom as we were told to situate it near LCD tv's instead to get rid of the flicker thats caused because the 3D signal to the glasses get disturbed when other plasma screen's are switched on near the VT20.

cinemafan

Feb 26, 2010
Visit site
bretty:I'm not really buying the whole 3D tv thing. I'm usually on board with new technological developments, when it comes to the A/V arena, but I can't help but think this is a fad that will come and go in a couple of years. I feel it's a gimmick, that will 'wow' at first, but then become tiresome because of having to wear glasses to view it. In my humble opinion, of course.
I totally agree, I don't think it's here to stay either. Looking at a good large 2D hi-def TV myself.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
cinemafan:bretty:I'm not really buying the whole 3D tv thing. I'm usually on board with new technological developments, when it comes to the A/V arena, but I can't help but think this is a fad that will come and go in a couple of years. I feel it's a gimmick, that will 'wow' at first, but then become tiresome because of having to wear glasses to view it. In my humble opinion, of course.I totally agree, I don't think it's here to stay either. Looking at a good large 2D hi-def TV myself.

I suppose the knock-on effect of the emergence of 3D sets, will be that the prices of 2D sets will plummet, at least at first. Good news for us 3D sceptics!

D

Deleted member 2457

Yep, i just saw the sony 40inch 3D one and i have to say sony is the king of 3d at the moment at least until the philips ones come out for me. The glasses were alot better, the depth in the picture was good, only when the images popped out of the screen did it hurt my eyes. But overall not bad.

A

Anonymous

I've been doing the 3D demo rounds for a couple of weeks now too. I've tried Samsung, Sony, Panasonic and LG. It's worth trying all TVs in as many places as possible to get different source material and try different set-ups.

The Samsung does look crisp but as others have mentioned - and reviews have highlighted too - there are crosstalk issues.

LG I only tried once and was comparable to the Samsung.

Panasonic was a lot better on crosstalk and depth I thought. Really impressive 3D.

Sony was comparable to the Panasonic I thought. Very little crosstalk, impressive depth and very sharp (40" HX803).

A couple of extra consideration for people. The Panasonic using plasma should give it the crosstalk edge. The LED backlit LCDs do have the advantage of being able to chuck out more light though. Given you are effectively wearing shades whilst watching this is an important point.

The extra cost of glasses and transmitters needs to be taken into account too.

For Transmitters the Panasonic, Samsung and (I think) LG TVs have the transmitter built in. The Sony HX range does not but the LX does.

For glasses the Panasonic comes with two pairs of glasses. Samsung doesn't come with any but you can claim a free pair via your serial number on the Samsung website whilst stocks last. The Samsung glasses are also the cheapest at £60 a pair and a 40 hour battery life. The HX Sony sets don't come with glasses but the LX does. However Sony stores have a deal 2xGlasses + Transmitter + PS3 with 4 3D games/demos when bought with a TV is just £200. If you don't want the PS3 you can trade it in at Game for £190 so that makes the rest effectively free. (Alternatively you can have a dedicated 3D Bluray player instead of the PS3 in that deal). The Sony glasses are normally £100 each but boast a 100 hour battery life.

The cost of the sets varies a fair bit. Starting at £1800 for the 40" Samsung (7000 series) and Sony (HX803), the 46" versions are £2000 for the Samsung but £2200 fro the Sony. The 50" Panasonic is £2300. There are also higher spec Samsung 8000 and Sony HX903 variants.

I'm personally leaning toward the Sony 46" HX803 - but I'm waiting on some reviews. The Panasonic would be a serious consideration if I had a bit more space.

A

Anonymous

I am in the same situation here.

My local store informed me that the hx903 has not even gone into production yet?

Noticed it says on sonys website that it is due for the end of June. Does anybody know when

this TV will be available in the uk?

Cheers

A

Anonymous

Hi Jase - I had started a seperate thread on this but no-one had contributed so its way down the list. From what I've heard, it's been delayed to the end of July, due to panel availability. I've tried to contact Sony to find out more but not heard anything yet.

Guy's from WHIFI have you heard anything about these potential delays??

PC

Pindi

Nov 21, 2008
Visit site
DrDamn:

However Sony stores have a deal 2xGlasses + Transmitter + PS3 with 4 3D games/demos when bought with a TV is just £200. If you don't want the PS3 you can trade it in at Game for £190 so that makes the rest effectively free. (Alternatively you can have a dedicated 3D Bluray player instead of the PS3 in that deal). The Sony glasses are normally £100 each but boast a 100 hour battery life.

What a cracking deal that is, the PS3 alone is over £200.
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

Either with the PS3 or regular 3D Bluray player the deal "saves" you £300. It's pretty fantastic. The guys in the Sony store seemed to think this was exclusive to the Sony stores - but I got the feeling it was a guess rather than knowledge.

There are similar deals around for other sets - John Lewis have a deal with the Samsung and the two glasses + Monsters vs. Aliens pack and a Blu-ray player too. None of the places I went to were particularly forthcoming or knowledgeable about the fact Samsung are giving away one free pair with each set either.

Drew McL

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
That's my point exactly, only Samsung have had the guts to submit their wares for review. Panasonic and Sony are advertising their 3d TVs heavily - and have not been shy to hand over their latest 2d sets for review - but as yet still no 3d reviews of these two companies, the two who are pushing 3d more than anybody else. Toshiba are also churning out ads but no review.

It looks to me like they know these TVs will not hold up to close scrutiny and so are trying to create a bit of demand - on the back of The World Cup - first. I really, really hope I'm wrong because a good 3d performance at home should be a worth while addition to our Home Cinema experience.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts