A cable question

matthewpiano

I wonder if anyone can answer a question that I've been thinking about.

How long has there been a cable upgrade industry? Was it much of an issue in the 1970s? Would some of the classic Japanese gear ever have been used with special cables, or was it normal just to use the in-box freebie interconnects and multi-strand copper speaker cables?

A

Anonymous

I bought my first hi-fi system in 1975. Then cables were never an issue with normal equipment. Whether it was in high end I don't know.

Monster Cables was the first manufacturer of specialized audio cable I ever heard of. The company was established in 1978.

I remember buying a new amp in the mid 80's, being presented for the necessity of special speaker cables (as the manufacturer of the speakers I owned back them specifically recommended normal lamp wires, I didn't care). I can't remember anyone mentioning interconnects back then.

But then again, who knows what went on in the upper classes...

lonely boy

Apr 19, 2008
Visit site
Whilst Monster are the most well-known earliest manufacturer, I believe that Fulton and Supra were promoting them in the mid seventies.

e

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
My first hifi system was in 1979.

You either used QED 42 strand (to fit in those spring clip terminals so prevalent back then) or QED 79 strand with banana plugs.

I used QED 79 strand with bananas at one end (Celestion speakers) and some speaker 'pins' fitted at the other end (NAD 3020) to fit in the spring terminals.

QED 79 strand is still around 31 years later and costs £1.50 or £3.50 a metre depending on whether you buy 'Classic' or 'Original' (99.999% OFC).

To be honest if I ever change my system again then I will just buy QED 79 strand or similar. (Recommended by both Harbeth and ATC to their customers).

A

Anonymous

Forgot this: Back in '75 most European amps still had DIN sockets, both for line and speakers. Speakers often had thin wires (telephone type) coming out of holes in the back, so using other cables than those provided by the manufactorer was no option.

I had to find adapters to fit those outdated RCA sockets on my Japanese amp. Spring terminals for speakers of course. I guess lamp cords were all they could take.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts