A bit more warmth please

stiffy

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Hi,
I'm still a newbie and in need of some advice about my current cdp and amp. The amp's an Arcam Alpha 5 and the CDP a Marantz CD52MKII played through Mission 70MKII speakers. It sounds great with easy listening stuff and pop/dance but too bright (to my ears) with rock music which is my preferred listen.
I've been contemplating swopping either the CDP, amp or both in an effort to improve the sound of my rock music but am on a tight budget so would only be looking at used items on the bay. I've looked at various NAD & Cambridge Audio CDP'S and amps and also a Pioneer A-502R amp. I would like a bit more warmth to the music without it being dull. Perhaps I'm asking too much on my budget or do they all sound poor with rock music....surely not???

Anybody prepared to offer me the benefit of their wordly knowledge on this matter? Should I change or will I not see any difference? Maybe it will be worse....... give me strength.

Regards
John

T

the record spot

As someone who owned that very setup, with the exception of different speakers (Mission 751s instead of your 70MkIIs), I wouldn't call either the amp or source bright or harsh sounding. Keep those two as they are absolutely fine for the job, assuming both are still in good shape.

No idea what to suggest, but have you tried toeing your speakers slightly outwards? A nice low cost option and doesn't screw up the stereo image as you may think. In fact, it can tame a lively treble and throw out good wide stereo. No great shift outwards required, just a few degrees.

Alternatively, cheap speakers off Ebay or see also Gumtree; they've updated their site and it's much easier to search for stereo kit on there now. Some fine deals available too, plus you can see before you buy. No idea what to suggest as I'm a big Mission and Q Acoustics fan - I'd be inclined to suggest the Q Acoustics 1010 or 1020s, which you might find on a very wallet-friendly deal now the 2000 series speakers have replaced them.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
stiffy:I've looked at ...Cambridge Audio CDP'S ...
Erk ahlors! Avoid Cambridge CDPs if you want warmer sound - IME they're 'orrible metallic-/shrill-/synthetic-sounding horrors.

Which interconnect and speaker cables are you currently using?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
aliEnRIK:Thats my thoughts too

'Cos I think we all know what the answer's going to be, don't we boys and girls?

Ford_Transit_van_mk4_2006.jpg
HooverDam.jpg

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Should be used with care as this product tends towards over-muscled power and accented delivery, combined with a wooden character, although capable of delivering solid punchiness with surprising speed and accuracy on occasion.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
ESP2009:Should be used with care as this product tends towards over-muscled power and accented delivery, combined with a wooden character, although capable of delivering solid punchiness with surprising speed and accuracy on occasion.

Are you a copywriter for Ford? Though I'm not sure what an accented delivery is: does it mean the driver gets out of the Transit and hands you the package, saying "'Ere ju are, greengo"...

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
ESP2009:Should be used with care as this product tends towards over-muscled power and accented delivery, combined with a wooden character, although capable of delivering solid punchiness with surprising speed and accuracy on occasion.

ESP you really need stop reading those 'other' publications....

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Andrew Everard:

Are you a copywriter for Ford? Though I'm not sure what an accented delivery is: does it mean the driver gets out of the Transit and hands you the package, saying "'Ere ju are, greengo"...

Ah, can't manage a muscular Belgian accent, eh?

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
shooter69:ESP2009:Should be used with care as this product tends towards over-muscled power and accented delivery, combined with a wooden character, although capable of delivering solid punchiness with surprising speed and accuracy on occasion. ESP you really need stop reading those 'other' publications....

What? You mean there are other publications? I learned everythink I know about reeding and righting from these fourum pagis alon.

scene

ESP2009:
shooter69:ESP2009:Should be used with care as this product tends towards over-muscled power and accented delivery, combined with a wooden character, although capable of delivering solid punchiness with surprising speed and accuracy on occasion. ESP you really need stop reading those 'other' publications....

What? You mean there are other publications? I learned everythink I know about reeding and righting from these fourum pagis alon.

emotion-2.gif
Tho' you're post's seem to be missing some apostrophe's...

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
scene:ESP2009:

emotion-2.gif
Tho' you're post's seem to be missing some apostrophe's...

My educashun is still deevelopin. Youve got to admit Im very gud for less than too yeers'.
emotion-5.gif

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:Anyone else touts Jean-Claude Cables, and you're out...

As usual, your statements are as vague as they are short

Are you stating that we're not allowed to give our advice anymore?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
aliEnRIK:As usual, your statements are as vague as they are short

And now, for the benefit of the hard of thinking, we present:

joke (jok) n.

1. Something said or done to evoke laughter or amusement

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:aliEnRIK:As usual, your statements are as vague as they are short

And now, for the benefit of the hard of thinking, we present:

joke (jok) n.

1. Something said or done to evoke laughter or amusement

Andrew, im as sarcastic as the next person. Probably more so due to my job

But you must be well aware that we (the people on the forum) have to watch what we say sometimes. So I just needed clarification that all is well with the world.

Job done

emotion-4.gif

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
aliEnRIK: Andrew, im as sarcastic as the next person. Probably more so due to my job

Meaning the constant antagonism comes from something you do in your spare time? Poor you...

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
aliEnRIK: Andrew, im as sarcastic as the next person. Probably more so due to my job

Meaning the constant antagonism comes from something you do in your spare time? Poor you...

In what way am I hostile?

Im a great believer in thinking for myself. Ive not 'attacked' anyone. I ask questions. Most of which never get answered but I felt they needed asking anyway.

You have your beliefs and I have mine. Whats wrong with that?

TRENDING THREADS