A big thumbs up for Nene Valley Audio interconnects

Dazmb

Aug 26, 2007
Visit site
I have been searching for the elusive torch to shine a light on the sound I was getting.. as we all do at times. My friend igglebert will testify to my restlessness with my setup. Having tweaked and tweaked over the years and not quite got it sounding right, I was just starting to contemplate getting new speakers and starting the whole upgrade process again. I saw NWA had a 30 day moneyback pledge - so with nothing to lose I went for it. And boy I'm glad I did! The light is on! And it's shining very brightly thanks to a couple of the standard NVA 'SOUND CORD' interconnects (not the bizarre sound pipe thingies). The cables are very well made & classy and they look like Kimber Timbre cables, the silver strand wire looks very unshielded and thin*. They cost a fraction of the price of Kimber though. I bought 1 x 40 CM to replace a QED Qunex 2 that I was using with my NAD's pre-out/pwr-in loop, and another 1m one to replace the Ecosse Composer I had from my Arcam deck to the amp. As soon as the amp warmed up the sound was detailed and crystal clear like I had never heard before - but still warm and full. All the good sonic things that I knew my ELS3's and C320BEE were capable of, but had only heard some elements of it depending on the latest tweak - never all together at the same time. A certain fuzzy/muddy cloud character that was there was completely gone. Hurrah! I'd long thought that having the two different interconnects in the same path to the power amp was not a smart idea, but my recent attempts to resolve that by replacing the QED with another Ecosse Composer failed to work. The sound didn't improve (if anything worse) and when pushing the amp back under my rack a huge amount of electrical 'noise' came through the speakers. I don't know what Ecosse have done to The Composer interconnect, their MD Elliot Davis told me in an email that it is sonically the same as the original. Sorry Elliot, but I have to disagree. Whatever way it has been tweaked it has sonically lost something that my original version had (never mind the poor noise levels). So, all is good in my world finally after 5 years or so of searching. And the price of finding the light? - £30. That's all it cost. All NVA's gear is sold on their Ebay page (linked through from the NVA website), and with a moneyback offer it's worth a go if you are in same boat as I was. * The noise level of the NVA interconnect in the pre-out/pwr-in is higher than the QED Qunex 2 it replaced, but only audible when volume is cranked up to three quarters +

A

Anonymous

Nice one Dazmb. Who'd have thought that cables could make such a difference, but I know from my own experience that they do. My starting point was in ignorance of the controversy over cables and their effect, but my experimentation quickly showed the differences to be found.

So does this quash the desire to try Leema Xeros?

Dazmb

Aug 26, 2007
Visit site
It's still tempting of course ;) But there must be restraint and there can be no more tweaking! My desk is a tweak-free zone. I need you to play your part in my new world order* So no tempting!

* This new order ends if bonus pays out of course ;)

A

Anonymous

The NVA amps are very good as well with the same 'try before you buy', although little known on this site.

A

Anonymous

Ok, seeing as I'm in the same boat as you, let's go with the bonus idea. Clearly that doesn't include music. Lots of it. Might I recommend Steve Winwood's Revolutions.

vinod_david

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
Hi Dazmb:

Thanks for review. I too use Quenex 2 in my setup, so if I opt for 40 cm NVA IC, are they a step up interms of SQ for my setup?

You said the sound is crystal clear and lifting muddy sound, etc., so does it mean that these NVA IC's could lean towards brightness in a bright system ?

Thanks.

A

Anonymous

yes nva goods are very good i bought two soundpipe interconnects at very reasnable price
and yes they are better than my old qed ones,
i also bought a nva passive pre amp to feed my musical fidelity power amps
and this was a revelation to my ears, so much better than my audiolab pre amp so yes a very
unknown brand but a good one, and money back promise but have not had to use money back offer
as goods are ace.

Dazmb

Aug 26, 2007
Visit site
vinod_david:Hi Dazmb:

Thanks for review. I too use Quenex 2 in my setup, so if I opt for 40 cm NVA IC, are they a step up interms of SQ for my setup?

You said the sound is crystal clear and lifting muddy sound, etc., so does it mean that these NVA IC's could lean towards brightness in a bright system ?

Thanks.

I don't think they are bright. Just give clarity to the sound of the components. They are silver strand cables, I'm not clued up enough to say if that makes for brighter sounds. I have heard both sides of that debate. Perhaps with CA gear it may be toppy. But with a 30 day trial period give it a whirl, as you have nothing to lose do you?

A

Anonymous

Please can someone help. I am not knowlegeable. I have old NVA amplifier, still working well, have lost manual, and need to buy new cartridge for my record deck. Which is compatible, ceramic or magnetic? Amplifier has no model number outside or in. Description. Bought c. 1982. Dimensions 38 cm wide, 7.5 cm high and 21 cm deep. Toggle on/off switch rear left hand side. Front volume control centre. Right hand side selector Aux, Tape, Tuner, Disk. I think price was about £200 but definitely not one of the more costly models. Sadly cannot afford to buy new units so any help wil be very welcome

Graham Bell (Philippines)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts