763 or 1909

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Hello all,

Can get the Yamaha 763SE or the Denon AVR 1909 for pretty much the same price.

Has anyone any opinions as to which would suits my needs better.

I will be running PS3 and Panasonic BD35 blu ray into the reciever so no upscaling required. V+ fed straight to TV and optical to reciever.

Will purely be for home cinema as have seperate hifi set up

Will be pairing with KEF 2005.3 or 3005SE (depending what bundle deals I can get)

Any comments would be appreciated

Thanks

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
The only thing I can offer (since I've heard neither) is to be aware of the 2 HDMI inputs on the Yamaha. You'll be using them both up with the PS3 and Panny BD35 so if you ever got another component with HDMI that you wanted to hook up to the amp (e.g. Xbox, Freesat / Freeview box), you're going to need a splitter with the Yamaha.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Prof,

Thanks for that one, that and the fact the Yammy doesnt have a tuner are making me think Denon, but have heard the Yam is better sounding, so would be willing to go for that one if the sound was measurable different.

Would love to audition, but it seems if a dealer is stocking the Yamaha they dont have the Denon.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Yup, that's quite common, you may need to visit a couple of dealers, though really you need them going through the same speaker set which might be possible. Or you can enquire on the possibility of a home trial.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Thanks again Prof, it seems to be too much of a hassle for them to set up without you actually commiting to buy from them though. You would not think it would be difficult to spend money, especially now unfortunately.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
I am trying, but only have an Audio T in town, there is a Sevenoaks quite close and a Richer Sounds but that means a drive as neither will supply me a quote by e-mail.

Thought the difficult thing wasmaking your mind up on the kit, not buying it!!!!

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Think we are drifting away from the question and I am starting to rant sorry.

Any Denon and Yamaha owners out there got any opinions thanks.

A

Anonymous

I had a Yammy 763 for about 4 weeks, when I purchased from practical HiFi I auditioned the 1909, 763 & 863, amongst others. (they really good selection).

The 863 came out top, with the 763 a very close second, but with the price difference I went for the 763, sounded much more accurate & detailed than the 1909, and I am a fan of Denon as I have had their kit before.

I did however change recently as I have a larger room, and a projector, so I changed to an Onkyo 876, for the twin HDMI outputs, I would have gone for a Yam 1900 if that had 2 HDMIs (going off subject slightly)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts