720p or 1080i Which should be best

peter8171

Sep 25, 2008
Visit site
It depends on the TV you have. My TV is HD ready, not full HD and I've found that setting the output to 720p has been best for me. However, as ever, it's usually personal preference, so try both and see if which you prefer.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Im unsure why youve posted this 3 times but whatever ~

1080i as the 'deinterlacer' is awful and it means the box is only upscaling SD content and the tv is deinterlacing

A

Anonymous

my connection had a bit of a wobbler when i was posting i thinks thats why it posted 4 times.

Anyway alienrik i am a bit of a novice could you break that down into simpler english for me.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
aliEnRIK:

Im unsure why youve posted this 3 times but whatever ~

1080i as the 'deinterlacer' is awful and it means the box is only upscaling SD content and the tv is deinterlacing

aliEnRIK - what do you mean by that? the deinterlacer in the hd box is awful?

cause i tend to run mine in 720p but have noticed when watching football for example its better in 1080i as far less speckling effect

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
all (or certainly most) sky hd content is 1080i by default. So by selecting 720P the sky hd box would have to DOWNSCALE and DEINTERLACE (make it into progressive)

The scaling software is not very good and the deinterlacer is even worse so the best setting is 1080i so that it neither scales nor deinterlaces

As for SD content ~

The skybox wont output in 576i (which is the standard). It FORCES it to deinterlace to 576P. So for that fact you need to also select 1080i so that it upscales but doesnt deinterlace.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
You want the projector to downscale if you can (else it will be scaled twice, once through the amp and upscaled slightly to fit the projector (unless its a true 720 screen?))

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
My advice would be to set your Sky+HD box output to "AUTOMATIC" this way it will output the channel you ae watching at its native resolution as IMHO your TV will do a better job at either upscaling SD or deinterlacing(and if need be downscaling if your TV is not 1080p) HD over the rather rubbish scaling chipset that is in the Sky+HD box.
emotion-21.gif

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
D.J.KRIME:My advice would be to set your Sky+HD box output to "AUTOMATIC" this way it will output the channel you ae watching at its native resolution as IMHO your TV will do a better job at either upscaling SD or deinterlacing(and if need be downscaling if your TV is not 1080p) HD over the rather rubbish scaling chipset that is in the Sky+HD box.
emotion-21.gif

As ive tried to explain ~ the skybox deinterlaces SD content. As its deinterlacer is so bad its actually better to scale to 1080i as its scalers better than its deinterlacer

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
D.J.KRIME:My advice would be to set your Sky+HD box output to "AUTOMATIC" this way it will output the channel you ae watching at its native resolution as IMHO your TV will do a better job at either upscaling SD or deinterlacing(and if need be downscaling if your TV is not 1080p) HD over the rather rubbish scaling chipset that is in the Sky+HD box.
emotion-21.gif

prob with that is everytime you change channel either my onkyo or projector or both resets the picture so you get like 5 secs of blue screen before everything adjusts which is a real pain

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
matengawhat:

emotion-21.gif

prob with that is everytime you change channel either my onkyo or projector or both resets the picture so you get like 5 secs of blue screen before everything adjusts which is a real pain

My Plaz also does this but personally I would rather put up with that as my TV definatly does a superiour job when upscaling SD over the Sky box internal scaler

A

Anonymous

Apologies for being a bit slow on the up take with this, but -

With my Pioneer 428 should I set my Sky box to 1080i then ?

I have tried both and don't seem to see much difference.

Cheers for any help.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
soulton:
Apologies for being a bit slow on the up take with this, but -

With my Pioneer 428 should I set my Sky box to 1080i then ?

I have tried both and don't seem to see much difference.

Cheers for any help.

Yes. But try them BOTH out over a period of time (Couple of months each say).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts