7 mistakes to avoid with your stereo amplifier

talaerts

Sep 15, 2022
Visit site
2 remarks.

1. Regarding "not needing digital inputs if your old amp didn't have them" - it depends. If your sources are rather old then a good recent DAC in your amp may sound subtly better. Only subtly, ad you need revealing speakers, but it's there.

2. regarding analog interconnects: I solder my own; using good professional microphone cable. The 2 core conductors are connected to the RCA centre and outside (being the 0); and the shielding is connected ONLY to ONE side's RCA outside. This provides a decent rejection of interference, not like balanced but it helps. I remember this trick from my studies decades ago, but can't calculate it anymore :)

Reactions: Sliced Bread

manicm

All very well saying 'rather get a more sensitive speaker than a more powerful amp' when the truth is there are very few truly sensitive speakers, especially European designed ones. Or go for Klipsch which may not be to everyone's taste.

Sometimes WHF borders on the maverick side of expert advice.

Reactions: Sliced Bread

Sliced Bread

All very well saying 'rather get a more sensitive speaker than a more powerful amp' when the truth is there are very few truly sensitive speakers, especially European designed ones. Or go for Klipsch which may not be to everyone's taste.

Sometimes WHF borders on the maverick side of expert advice.
Having just replaced my speakers I agree regarding sensitivity. A higher sensitivity speaker was on my wish list, but there are so few around the choice narrows significantly. I actually ended up buying less sensitive speakers in the end as they were the ones I preferred once all factors were considered.

That said; if you can find a pair that suits you, I would take WHF’s advice as it opens up the amplifier options.

Reactions: manicm

acgingersnaps

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
What an article. 5, 6 and 7 are bonkers and have no basis in fact.

"The surface your stereo amp sits on can make the world of difference to its performance. Generally speaking, glass shelving tends to encourage a more forward sound, while wooden supports typically result in a warmer and more rounded balance"!!!!

Literally impossible.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts