7.1 or 5.1+2

simonali

Aug 8, 2006
Visit site
My home cinema setup currently consists of a Yamaha 673 receiver and Q7000 speakers (5.1). It is perfect for watching films, but really disappoints when I listen to music. It sounds OK using the DSP modes to give surround effects to it, but 2.1 stereo just doesn't do it for me. So, what I was thinking of doing was to add another set of proper speakers for music listening, but there are two options here. The receiver has a second room feature, so I could use that and effectively have a pure stereo setup separate from the home cinema one, or I integrate the new speakers into the home cinema and go from 5.1 to 7.1. I'm thinking the former is the best option?

F

FunkyMonkey

I feel the same. I listen using "all channel stereo" mode

simonali

Aug 8, 2006
Visit site
That could be a future option, too, I guess. I've just splashed out a lot more money than I thought I would on some floorstanders, though!

As an aside, I'd like to point out how it's nearly impossible to use this forum on an iPad, given What Hifi's undying love for all things Apple flavoured...

simonali said:
That could be a future option, too, I guess. I've just splashed out a lot more money than I thought I would on some floorstanders, though!

As an aside, I'd like to point out how it's nearly impossible to use this forum on an iPad, given What Hifi's undying love for all things Apple flavoured...

Two new speakers for Hi Fi is going to cost as well. A lot of budget amplifiers should do the job. Worth a demo.

You can disable rich text on your ipad by clicking the little triangle in the top right corner of the box where you're typing. Sometimes I have to toggle between enabling and disabling rich text.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
simonali said:

So what floorstanders did you get? and do they improve your music listening?

After much reading and research, I kept my systems separate (albiet sharing the same room), it's less of a compromise.

simonali

Aug 8, 2006
Visit site
Focal 726's. They're on order, as the store didn't keep them in stock. The waiting is starting to give me cold feet, though, as they have a four figure price tag and I'm starting to think the money should be spent elsewhere. For example, a lot of my records, CDs and DVDs are in boxes on the floor!

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
simonali said:
Focal 726's. They're on order, as the store didn't keep them in stock. The waiting is starting to give me cold feet, though, as they have a four figure price tag and I'm starting to think the money should be spent elsewhere. For example, a lot of my records, CDs and DVDs are in boxes on the floor!

I've not heard the focals myself, so hopefully other Focal owners may give you some advice. I was a liitle surprised that you jumped to a £1k+ floorstander to match with your current kit. I'll be looking soon at floorstanders around that price point, and although I already have a hifi amp and similar specced (to you) av amp, I'll be looking to get a circa £1K amp - to get the most out of the floorstanders. Were you able to hear the 726's in store with a similar av amp?

I'm sure the 726's will be a giant step up from what you have, but I suspect you will be wanting a separate hifi amp in the future to get the most out of them, and those boxes may be there for a while yet *smile*

We need some Focal owner replies please.

simonali

Aug 8, 2006
Visit site
You are all correct, of course and have made my cold feet like blocks of ice!

I purchased them from Richer Sounds and now want to cancel the order. Anyone know if this will be a problem? Obviously their 14 day refund policy doesn't apply here, as I did not order them via the website, but in store...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts