65VT50, imminent arrival. Top tips for delivery checks?

camdxr

Mar 7, 2008
Visit site
I'm 42 years old and after a 3 week wait I should finally take delivery of the 65VT50. Cannot believe how ridiculously excited I am......after all, it's only a TV.....right?

Anyway, back on topic, any immediate checks I should perform before signing for this? There are only 8 panels being delivered to Saudi and through a mate of a mate of a mate I have managed to secure one. Due to various work commitments I will not be able to hang this set straightaway so I wanted to make sure all was well. Don't want to come back to the box in a week or so to find it's no good, the other 7 units would probably have been sold by then.

So, come on, any advice gratefully recieved.

Cheers

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Well if it was my tv i would at least open the box and check the tv for any damage and to make sure everything was present and correct, the box my GT30 came in was very good so the tv should be well protected from any knocks and i would hope that it's correctly transited in the upright position.

Of course you can't be 100% sure until it's unpacked and switched on but it's worth opening the box to check for any damage before you sign for delivery purely because of the cost of the tv and how unlikely you would be to get a replacement.

Hopefully all goes well for you, fabulous size screen and a great tv too.

camdxr

Mar 7, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Oldboy and Bigboss, all is well. Just done a quick check now watching frozen planet on bluray, sumptious picture, very happy man.

I notice on THX Cinema mode (best picture) that the pixel orbitor is not an option? Day to day viewing will be OSN (Saudi Sky) which has the typical channel logos. I am thinking that I should maybe view in standard mode for the first 200 hours to avoid screen burn.

Any thoughts? Seems a shame to not be able to watch on the best picture setting. Am I being overly cautious or justified in this approach?

Cheers.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
camdxr said:
I'm 42 years old and after a 3 week wait I should finally take delivery of the 65VT50. Cannot believe how ridiculously excited I am......after all, it's only a TV.....right?

It's not "only" a TV. It is what for the last two months has been the best domestic TV (for watching films) available. Mind you, Samsung have just brought out the 65 version of their popular ES8000 LED series, for £3,500. But I'm a plasma man, so I am insanely jealous of your gleaming new Panasonic TX-P65VT50! Congratulations!

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
camdxr said:
Thanks Oldboy and Bigboss, all is well. Just done a quick check now watching frozen planet on bluray, sumptious picture, very happy man.

I notice on THX Cinema mode (best picture) that the pixel orbitor is not an option? Day to day viewing will be OSN (Saudi Sky) which has the typical channel logos. I am thinking that I should maybe view in standard mode for the first 200 hours to avoid screen burn.

Any thoughts? Seems a shame to not be able to watch on the best picture setting. Am I being overly cautious or justified in this approach?

Cheers.

You are not being overly cautious atall! THX mode is best used for film content be it bluray or dvd and even on demand, as a rule i used a calibrated Normal picture setting for watching digital tv as you then had the option of keeping pixel protector on. Tv channel logos are notorious for causing image retention and you will get some as the screen beds in even with pixel protector running but it's highly unlikely that it will burn an image onto the screen if you take the right precautions.

For starters calibrate the screen. Even if it's just with a THX optimiser dvd calibration will make a real difference to instances of image retention and burn as overblown contrast and brightness are common causes on a new plasma, once calibrated knock back the contrast and brightness settings by 3 or 4 notches for the run in period (200 hours minimum). After the run in period perform another calibration as black levels can fluctuate slightly and you should be good to go.

For digital tv always use a picture mode that enables you to use pixel orbiter, if you like the THX picture preset then try turning on the issf picture modes from the tvs menus and use one of these as they produce a very similar image but let you use pixel orbiter oh and these modes also open up further picture options for calibration that aren't available on any other picture mode.

Of course a little common sense is required so try to keep static images to a bear minimum during the initial run in period and for some time afterwards and never use the dynamic picture mode as that will definately cause problems.

Most importantly though enjoy your lovely new tv and i hope it gives you many years of trouble free viewing.

robjcooper

Sep 29, 2008
Visit site
camdxr said:

Cheers.

THX Cinema mode will probably be a pixel for pixel mode or 1:1 pixel mapping which means the orbitor mode won't work as the image is exactly the size of the screen resolution so has no extra pixels to move. The standard mode should have an overscan mode which will zoom slightly into the picture giving an image larger than the screen resolution thus enabling the orbitor to shift the image the number of pixels horizontally and vertically you have selected (I'm assuming the Panasonic allows you to select the amount of orbit and frequency). If you go into standard mode and then change the scan to pixel for pixel, you'll also find the orbitor won't work.

If it's the quality of TV broadcasts you're worried about, just remember that many of them are still up-converted standard def or highly compressed hd mpeg streams, so the difference a little bit of zoom on your TV to allow you to use the orbitor to stop any chance of Logo or bug burn-ins will be negligble. Blu-rays go Pixel for Pixel (but don't leave a still image on pause for 6 hours!!!)

Enjoy your new toy

Rob

camdxr

Mar 7, 2008
Visit site
Son of Sj, you're right, it's not just a TV, it's blooming fantastic!

Oldboy and Rob, i've done what you suggested, normal mode selected and orbitor on for standard TV viewing.

THX Cinema used for bluray (when I'm watching ;-) ).

Cheers for the help guys, can't wait to get it fitted into my black shiny obelisk (freestanding fake chimney) promise i'll post piccys showing the build when i'm done.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Wey-hey! So pleased that you are very happy with your new TV! However, don't forget to change your signature - when Oldboy got his current Sony, to replace his previous Panasonic GT30 (can't remember the size, sorry Oldboy) it took him two days to change his signature! (And I've craftily taken a screen save of this thread with your old signature, so you can't claim, afterwards, that you had changed it immediately when the 65VT50 arrived!)

camdxr

Mar 7, 2008
Visit site
Well just for you I promise I will change my sig ONLY when it is properly in place and not just perched on a coffee table in front on the Kuro! Will definately take a photo of that to go in the chimney thread thingy.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
Wey-hey! So pleased that you are very happy with your new TV! However, don't forget to change your signature - when Oldboy got his current Sony, to replace his previous Panasonic GT30 (can't remember the size, sorry Oldboy) it took him two days to change his signature! (And I've craftily taken a screen save of this thread with your old signature, so you can't claim, afterwards, that you had changed it immediately when the 65VT50 arrived!)

Forgive me, but i don't see why i need to update my signature immediately. Blimey it's not that big a deal is it, i can't see any stipulation on the site saying i have to do this the moment i get any new kit? Yes it took me a few days but in all honesty i completely forgot about it and changed it as soon as i remembered, can't see a problem with that personally and i was a little wrapped up in testing out the my tv to think about it.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Oldboy said:
Forgive me, but i don't see why i need to update my signature immediately. Blimey it's not that big a deal is it, i can't see any stipulation on the site saying i have to do this the moment i get any new kit?

And I myself am at least a month late
smiley-embarassed.gif
with one change in my kitchen system and three changes in my bedroom, but I have difficulty changing my signature directly, because of the internet link! When I work out how to edit the signature I shall do so, but I'm hoping to have another change in about a week, so maybe I'll wait until then and do all the changes together.

But getting back to the main topic, I'm sure we're all looking forward to seeing camdxr's photo of his new 65VT50, and also a photo of the dethroned Pioneer LX508D in its new, relegated, position!

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
:grin:

In that case i suggest you update your signature, i've taken a screen shot so you can't get out of it now lol. No excuse is good enough even if it does mean a link is the issue.

Only kidding...but yes i must admit i'm looking forward to a photo of that monster of a tv, i have tech envy at the thought of it. Hopefully he will get it in situ soon.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Oldboy said:
Only kidding...but yes i must admit i'm looking forward to a photo of that monster of a tv

Hey. wait until I get a photo of mine up (probably also when I change my signature ha-ha), my Samsung is only an inch smaller ..... But with a black level that is only good, not world-beating like that of camdxr's 65VT50!

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Pity about the shortage of digital cameras in Saudi Arabia, camdxr, because otherwise you would have posted pictures of your new Panasonic 65VT50 and also of the old Pioneer LX508D by now!

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Main thing would be has the packaging obviously been opened before. You'd be surprised how many times I've had stuff turn up that's clearly been re-packed for one reason or another, whether it's a customer return or it's a demo item that they're trying to pass off as new. However careful they are it's impossible to package anything as neatly as it gets packed in the factory.

If it don't look factory packed, send it back.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts