64 bit Microsoft Vista - Free working firewall??

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
HI,

I had loads of help from people last time about setting up my computer, and one of the suggestions was to load PCtools firewall onto my computer.

Unfortunately, it says that it does not work, as my comp has 64bit vista running on it.

Does anybody know of another free firewall that supports the 64bit vista?

Many thanks once again in advance....

Phil

kjelly

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
Hi ...
Unlike XP, and its predecessors, the inbuilt Vista and Windows7 FWalls are fine for general home use.
Just check the settings first to ensure you are happy with the default open/block list, and ask it to check-in with you if it seems something unusual in the future.

Otherwise, couch-up the cash for AVG Suite.
Its very good and uses up very litte system resource

K

A

Anonymous

I am unsure how to look at the settings, so will have to have a play. I am a real novice, as this is my first computer... EVER lol

I was looking at comodo, as that is free, but if you think the vista one is ok, then that is cool.

kjelly

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
OK, there will be a section in the 'control panel' devoted to Windows Firewall.
Click on the ALLOW A PROGRAM THROUGH WINDOWS FIREWALL link, and in the EXCEPTIONS tab you can decide what your starting set of allow/deny options are.

hope this helps.

K

A

Anonymous

I run Vista 64 and previously had PCTools Firewall. Like yourself I can no longer use it. I have now switched to COMODO Firewall. It is freeware and very professional, in fact there is more to it than PCTools and it can be a little off putting. However saying that I think it is actually better and does the basics without any requirement to do much fiddling.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
kjelly:
Hi ...
Unlike XP, and its predecessors, the inbuilt Vista and Windows7 FWalls are fine for general home use.
Just check the settings first to ensure you are happy with the default open/block list, and ask it to check-in with you if it seems something unusual in the future.

Otherwise, couch-up the cash for AVG Suite.
Its very good and uses up very litte system resource

K

Yes, I use Windows Firewall (you can find it in Security Center in your control panel) and leave my Kaspersky anti virus to do everything else.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts