6-way extension lead recommendation

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
iburnell said:
Definitely looking for some conditioning of the mains supply if possible
You don't need it, when the engineers designed your Hi-Fi components they took this into account and added the appropriate filtering in the power supply.

Save yourself some shekels and buy one from B&Q

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
iburnell said:
Definitely looking for some conditioning of the mains supply if possible

I'd take a look at the Clearer Audio Copper-line Alpha Power Hub (6-way available up to 5m for £162). Or you could look at Russ Andrews' Mains Block, but that's quite a bit more expensive (£250 plus) as it also requires purchase of a mains cable (of your desired length) to connect it to the mains.

The advantage of both of the above is they both operate a 60 day money back guarantee - this means you can try it out and if you don't get a performance upgrade that you would expect from the money spent (as others above clearly haven't), then you can send it back for a full refund and just get a standard extension cable. I have personal experience of this with Clearer Audio as I sent back a Silverline power cable which didn't fit into my system (because of the abilities of my system more than anything else). I settled with a Copper-line Alpha which gave a noticeable improvement for music through my AV receiver.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
professorhat said:
this means you can try it out and if you don't get a performance upgrade that you would expect from the money spent (as others above clearly haven't), then you can send it back for a full refund and just get a standard extension cable.
I'm sure if you have made the decision to spend £162 on an extension lead you will probably hear a difference ;)

But I am sure the Gatekeeper will use a Hyperion Filtering System to ensure the Earth-View is nice and clear eh :D

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
eggontoast said:
I'm sure if you have made the decision to spend £162 on an extension lead you will probably hear a difference ;)

As noted, I purchased £200+ on a mains cable from them and didn't believe it provided a significant enough improvement to justify the price so sent it back.

In my opinion, it is of course completely up to any and every individual whether they wish to try these things out or not.

Timbot

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
We had a thunder storm at work the other day. One of the surge protectors / uninteruptable power supplies got absolutely fried but in the process saved £3k of telephone switching equipment not to mention 2 rack mount switches and the main server for our 3 practices. I've got my audio equipment plugged into a Belkin 6 socket surge protector at home. Some people would argue that it will reduce the quality compared to plugging the bits 'n' bobs directly into the mains. You decide which of the above you think is more important...

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Timbot said:
We had a thunder storm at work the other day. One of the surge protectors / uninteruptable power supplies got absolutely fried but in the process saved £3k of telephone switching equipment not to mention 2 rack mount switches and the main server for our 3 practices. I've got my audio equipment plugged into a Belkin 6 socket surge protector at home. Some people would argue that it will reduce the quality compared to plugging the bits 'n' bobs directly into the mains. You decide which of the above you think is more important...
I agree, surge protection is a good idea but even these can cause a problem. I was getting an intermittent crackle come through my Hi-Fi for sometime and it was driving me bonkers trying to find the cause. Turns out that it was the surge protector malfunctioning :mad:

TRENDING THREADS