5.1 vs 7.1 for hd need some advise and opinions pls

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
hi my room size is 13 feet x 12 feet, and my main soffa to view the tv is right against the backwall (cannot bring the soffa forward)

for 5.1 setup the surround speakers will be fitted onto the back wall on each side of the sofa about 1-2 meters high from my sitting position, and facing towards tv

if i go for a 7.1 setup then the left/right surround speakers will go on my sidewalls just above the doors facing the side of me if im facing the tv, and the back surround speakers will go on the back wall facing towards the tv

i really would like to go for 7.1 setup but would i really benefit ? considering the size of the room and also that i have no distance between me and the rear speakers,

i dont really want to waste my money on the 7.1 setup if im not going to benefit from this format,

the setup is going to be for HD sound and HD 24fps picture

thanks and regards jav

A

Anonymous

Hi ismalj

this topic has been posted before, me and a couple of guys at the forum have had given opinions about it....in short words , do your self a favour and save that money or buy something alse.to your self. here is a direct link to that post so u can read a littel about it:
http://community.whathifi.com/forums/t/295425.aspx

Sliced Bread

The thing is you will need to buy an extra two speakers for 7.1 or one speaker for 6.1 and one speaker is often hard to come buy without buying a pair (depending on brand). Depending on your budget, equipment and whether or not you already have your amp, sub, speakers, source the extra money MIGHT be better spent on buying better 5.1 speakers or perhaps, if you've not already bought it, put towards an upgraded amp / player.

I'm not saying 7.1 isn't worth it, as it can sound great, however I would look to see what else the money can buy you in your system and weigh that up against the benefits of 7.1. It's also worth noting that if you set up your speakers well (with good positioning and correct setup in the amp) it is possible in many cases to get very close to 7.1. How I currently have my 5.1 system set up sounds seamless, even between the rear speakers and side speakers and the space behind my head between the rears. It's all very convincing.

A

Anonymous

Hi

I've got 7.1, and to be quite honest, was a bit disappointed. While the sound is very good, if I change the amp to 5.1 and listen to the same soundtrack the difference is minimal (my room is a bit narrower than yours though, at 3m x 5m. If my room was 5m wide it may be a different story). As previously said, the extra £100-£200 could be better spent on a better amp, speakers or on a few BluRays. You could always buy the extra 2 speakers later if you (like I did) absolutely have to have 7.1.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Hi

I also have 7.1 now but i'm not as disappionted as most seem to be but i wasn't expecting a massive increase in sound quality but i think it's just down to personal taste, if you buy 7.1 knowing that all you will get is extra atmosphere and better surruond you won't be disappionted. If you go into thinking it's going to totally transform your system then you are sadly mistaken because as has already been mentioned the benefits are negligable....BUT wait til you hear something like Hellboy2 on bluray in true 7.1 and tell me it's not impressive.

The real problem with 7.1 is that there is such a limited diet of 7.1 discs out there, Hellboy2 is the most high profile 7.1 disc then you get into Oldboy, 3:10 to Yuma and Shoot Em Up teritory....only Oldboy is worth getting as a film. So then you have to start importing as some discs (such as Pans Labyrinth) come with 7.1 audio in the states or asia, forcing the cost up further. So to me it's a case of can you afford it and live with the current limitations...if not put your money to better use as stated above.

Hope that helps in some way.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts