40th birthday present system upgrades - suggestions sought!

kevin telfer

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site
My wife has suggested that for my 40th she funds some upgrades to my system. I expect her budget is around £1500 and I could easily top that up, so there's definitely an opportunity to have some fun!

However, I'm not sure where to start or even whether it is worth doing.

I currently have a Sonos system across a few rooms, with plans to put it into a couple more in due course but not as part of this. What is under consideration is my living room system.

I want to keep the Sonos (ZP90) as the music source - so convenient to access Napster and by NAS drive which contains mostly Apple Lossless ripped CDs. The ZP90 is connected to an ARCAM A85 amp and B&M CM1 speakers.

Thoughts that spring to mind - a DAC, a new AMP (or upgrade via Arcam which I believe is possible), replace the speakers, all of the above. I am sceptical about the benefits of changing power supplies and power leads etc, but will take the opportunity to upgrade interconnects and speaker cable if I change any kit.

I've not yet done any research or demoing (still realing from my wife's offer) but am intrigued by the Cyrus combined amp and DACs.

Saying that, if you think I should stay as I am, the TV needs replaced and the DVD needs to be replaced with a Blueray.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
kevin telfer said:
My wife has suggested that for my 40th she funds some upgrades to my system. I expect her budget is around £1500 and I could easily top that up, so there's definitely an opportunity to have some fun!

However, I'm not sure where to start or even whether it is worth doing.

I currently have a Sonos system across a few rooms, with plans to put it into a couple more in due course but not as part of this. What is under consideration is my living room system.

I want to keep the Sonos (ZP90) as the music source - so convenient to access Napster and by NAS drive which contains mostly Apple Lossless ripped CDs. The ZP90 is connected to an ARCAM A85 amp and B&M CM1 speakers.

Thoughts that spring to mind - a DAC, a new AMP (or upgrade via Arcam which I believe is possible), replace the speakers, all of the above. I am sceptical about the benefits of changing power supplies and power leads etc, but will take the opportunity to upgrade interconnects and speaker cable if I change any kit.

I've not yet done any research or demoing (still realing from my wife's offer) but am intrigued by the Cyrus combined amp and DACs.

Saying that, if you think I should stay as I am, the TV needs replaced and the DVD needs to be replaced with a Blueray.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

I'd go for a DAC first up. The DAC in the ZP90 isn't that great. I've had a lot of joy with the Audiolab M-DAC, which is regarded by many as punching well above its weight price-wise. That'd leave you with £900+ for a new amp. I'm not a fan of the warm Arcam sound, though the new A19 had had very strong reviews. If you went for the M-DAC, you could use its pre-amp stage and invest your whole amp budget bon a power amp.

And not to be forgotten: you have a very generous wife.

AL13N

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
With £1500 and a Sonos ZP90 as source I'd recommend auditioning the AVI ADM9RSS costing £1399.

You can even get them in white/grey to aesthetically match your Sonos ZP90.

They have a DAC, preamp and power amps built-in and come with all necessary cables (RCA, digital, mains) included in the box.

The £101 change, along with the money you'd have used to "easily top that up", can then be used to treat your wife.

kevin telfer

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site
Thanks to both of you

I'm intrigued neither of you suggested doing anything to the speakers but two suggestions on amps and DACs are most welcome.

And yes, I have a wonderful wife who is being generous. I sense further handbag and watch purchases will be coming around her birthday!

Etymotic

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Definately + 1 for the suggestion on the ADM speakers....specially as you are running an established Sonos system. The ADM9RSS are an ideal partner for the Sonos set up....I run the exact same system myself....and as previously stated the ADM's contain all you will need in one tidy package.

Not so many metal boxes in a nutshell, as everything you need is contained in the master speaker.

Might I also suggest the addition of the AVI 10' Subwoofer as well as you say you are happy to add to your wifes generous present.....

On there own the ADM's are sublime but adding the Sub takes them to another level of performance

It would mean you stumping up £700 as the sub retails for £800.

That sounds expensive for a Subwoofer I know but it has been specifically designed to partner the ADM's and as such seamlessly integrates with the speakers on heavier music,classical ,electronic and movies if you intend to link up with your TV etc. Even with acoustic music the Sub seems to add more air around voices and intruments and increases the soundstage dimensions

Take it from me the two working in tandem are Awesome!

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
I recommend avi adm 9 or genelec G2 or G3 or Adam audio Artist 3, artist 5 or artist 6.

btw my 40s birthday present from my wife was a new hifi, too! Enjoy!

Pete68

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Nice wife!

The guys over at Item Audio do an upgrade for the Sonos that may be worth a look. It basically replaces the clock with a Wyred 4 Sound clock and improves the output sections. I read good things about it when I was considering a Sonos. At £500 it would leave you plenty of change to boot.

Etymotic

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
kevin telfer said:
Doh, never realised these were active speakers. Could be ideal...

Ideal indeed!.....here is a link for the speakers in question on the AVI website.

http://www.avihifi.co.uk/adm9.html

Forgot to say you would need a decent pair of stands for the ADM's.....which you may already have. If you havnt a decent pair would cost no more than £100.... Mine cost £60 from Audiovisualonline...as recommended by AVI at the time I purchased my ADM's

Etymotic

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
kevin telfer said:
Have got decent stands, thanks

Could also earn some Brownie points on the de-cluttering

Thanks for the help

You are welcome......hope the suggestions are useful.

The smaller box count always goes down well with the ladies in the house. When I went from my all Naim System with power caps power amps, cd Player etc to a couple of speakers and the sonos connect and a Blu ray deck she was in ecstacy! By the way if you purchased a new Blu ray with SACD capability you would still have the capability of playing all formats of CD's you might have without spending money on a dedicated transport... To be honest I dont play many CD's now since I got the Sonos set up but if you do fancy it the capability is there....

My Pioneer Blu ray deck plays all types of CD and just as good SQ as my old Naim Cd player.......because you are only using the Blu ray as a transport and the Dac in the ADM Speakers is a top quality one..... a Wolfson I am lead to believe....

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Do you have a surround sound system with the CM1s?

If not, how about adding a pair of CM8 floorstanders to match the CM1s you have (the ladies love them) plus a CM Centre, to get the most out of blu-ray etc.

Use your existing CM1s as surrounds.

kevin telfer

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site
Let's just say that a surround system would have led to the wedding being cancelled, and floorstanders would lead to withdrawal of the birthday gift as well as other marital rights!

Less boxes and cables is the very clear message!

To be fair, I don't disagree too much. I'm happy with good stereo and picture provided the movie actually has a coherent plot and script!

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
kevin telfer said:
Let's just say that a surround system would have led to the wedding being cancelled, and floorstanders would lead to withdrawal of the birthday gift as well as other marital rights!

Less boxes and cables is the very clear message!

To be fair, I don't disagree too much. I'm happy with good stereo and picture provided the movie actually has a coherent plot and script!

A de-cluttering with the ADM9s might well put you in credit regarding these marital rights.

Worth it for this alone. ;)

kevin telfer

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site
Had an interesting time at my local stores- not the widest range of choices in Edinburgh for stores or manufacturers.

Both suggested looking at amps with onboard DACs.

One store suggested i demo the Cyrus 8XP with DAC card and a decent interconnect.

The other suggested the Heed Obelisk si which he would do for £900 or with a DAC card for £200. No demo though as they are closing down. He could also do the Audiolab M-DAC for £450. He was also doing limited deals on speakers.

So question is do I take a punt on either of the undemoed options from the second store, or spend a few happy hours demoing in the first store, as well as checking out other stores in other cities?

kevin telfer

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site
That is my mindset. But given the discounts from a closing down store, I would be tempted to take the risk if there was strong positive comments on the amp and either DAC.

AL13N

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
Auditioning before making a purchase has many benefits.

You may prefer your current kit to anything else you hear within your budget.

Or you may feel any improvements you hear are not worth £1500.

Or you may fall in love with a new system and have to buy it, even if it's slightly above budget.

Until you hear the equipment, you'll never know.

kevin telfer

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site
To both of you - agreed! Plus even if nothing is bought, a proper demo session is great fun. Not least for planning the test music play list!

My job for tonight is to track down other Scottish stores or work out no to take advantage of work trips south of the border.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts