3DTVs bluRay Players and HDMI 1.4

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Im currentl yin the progress of upgrading everything in my home cinema setup and my girlfriend loves those 3D TVs and im looking to purchase one in a couple of weeks

I'd been offered the 46" B7000 series including samsung 3d bluray player and 2 Active Shutter Glasses for £1800 with £150 cash back from Samsung

Does this sound like a good deal? it seems ok, nothing amazing but a deal none the less

Anyways i currently have a Yamaha 667 AV receiver and play 90% of films through a MovieJukeBox setup on my Popcorn Hour A200 player which is HDMI 1.3a.

Now I know the whole 3D thing is going to require HDMI 1.4 and the popcorn hour is HDMI 1.3a but does all those 3D films on BluRay require HDMI 1.4 or is things not that far ahead yet and HDMI 1.3a is just fine?

A

Anonymous

if the samsung 3d player you're on about is the c6900, then you can connect it to you're avr via component using the multi channel analogue outs on the rear of the sammy, and therefore get high res sound from 3d blu-rays..

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
maxflinn:if the samsung 3d player you're on about is the c6900, then you can connect it to you're avr via component using the multi channel analogue outs on the rear of the sammy, and therefore get high res sound from 3d blu-rays..

Trying so hard to make sense of that answer.

Component isn't multichannel analogue out, and why should the OP need to use a multichannel analogue anything when his/her receiver supports 3D pass-through?

And his/her media player will also connect fine to the receiver and play into the TV. In 2D, of course. Over an HDMI 1.3 cable. But the 3D Blu-ray signal to the receiver, and from receiver to TV, will require cables able to carry it, which means HDMI High-Speed certified models to be absolutely sure.

A

Anonymous

ah, my mistake, i assumed the 667 was an older, non 3d avr..

A

Anonymous

what is the name of the cables required to connect to the multi channel outs andrew? i thought they were componant..

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:And we all know what happens when you advise based on assumption...
well its just that there are so many questions of late regarding 3d blu-ray audio compatability, i kind of jumped the gun a bit..

note to self, read question, pause, think it through, and give answer, once its the right one, not based on assumption
emotion-15.gif

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
maxflinn:what is the name of the cables required to connect to the multi channel outs andrew? i thought they were componant..

Analogue audio interconnects.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
maxflinn:what is the name of the cables required to connect to the multi channel outs andrew? i thought they were componant..

thanks.. duly logged..

F

FunkyMonkey

Andrew Everard:

Component was close. The word you were thinking of is "composite"; a.k.a, "RCA".

And, Andrew, go easy on keen posters who are only trying to help.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
FunkyMonkey:Component was close. The word you were thinking of is "composite"; a.k.a, "RCA".
No, composite video isn't the same as analogue audio outputs, either, even though the cable used may have the same connector on each end.
FunkyMonkey:And, Andrew, go easy on keen posters who are only trying to help.
Thanks for the pointer, but max manages to combine ridiculously prolific posting with a history of advising based on assumption, misreading, hearsay and half-truths, as this thread as once again proved.
I'd hate anyone to see he has several thousand posts, take his advice as gospel, and make a potentially expensive mistake.

A

Anonymous

so to get back to my question regarding latest 3D BluRay movies.

Do 3D films only work via HDMI 1.4 or will some / all at the moment play via HDMI 1.3a as long as the device supports 3D bluray playback

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Are we talking about cables? If so, in theory you need HDMI 1.4, or HDMI High Speed as we'll soon have to call them, cables for 3D. But you may find some HDMI 1.3 cables are able to handle sufficient data throughput to carry 3D content.

If we're talking about running 3D content through the A200, the answer is no.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:FunkyMonkey:Component was close. The word you were thinking of is "composite"; a.k.a, "RCA".
No, composite video isn't the same as analogue audio outputs, either, even though the cable used may have the same connector on each end.
Thanks for the pointer, but max manages to combine ridiculously prolific posting with a history of advising based on assumption, misreading, hearsay and half-truths, as this thread as once again proved.
I'd hate anyone to see he has several thousand posts, take his advice as gospel, and make a potentially expensive mistake.
the mistake i made in this thread is rare for me mr e, dont get carried away now
emotion-40.gif

now, im off to walk my doggies, good day andrew, and everyone
emotion-21.gif

F

FunkyMonkey

Andrew Everard:FunkyMonkey:Component was close. The word you were thinking of is "composite"; a.k.a, "RCA".

LOL, I don't know about Maxflinn. I was half right. RCA are the analogue connector types. Composite video is commonly carried on the exact same physical connector, but not always, so I was almost right. Kinda. Anyway, ahem, I call them phono.

A

Anonymous

Andrew,

I have purchased a Samsung 46 UE46C8000 and BDC6900 Blu-Ray player - currently I do not have a HDMI capable amp (it is the Pioneer AX5i connected to a KEF 2005.2 speaker system), so looking to connect them using the analogue interconnect.

I would appreciate your advice on a good quality interconnect (bearing in mind I need 5 connections excl sub for my 5.1 setup) to deliver good audio performance without "breaking the bank"....do I need to spend >£40 on a cable? The alternative is to upgrade my amp to one that supports HDMI - any recommendations on this front?

Many thanks for any assistance offered.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Normally I'd suggest Chord Crimson x 3 pairs as the way of doing the analogue hook-up, but that'd be pushing the budget.

As you may be thinking of an amp upgrade in the near future I'd suggest some cables from one of the many online retailers often suggested on here, or maybe Chord's strangely-named C-Lic, which is one of the company's custom-install cables, and can be found for £25 for a 1m stereo pair.

A

Anonymous

Andrew,

Thanks for your very prompt response - I was already considering the Chord Crimson Plus cable which I can get sub £40 for a 1 metre version. I don't want to compromise obviously on the interconnect but at the same time, not overdo the spend given my setup and the fact that I will be looking to upgrade to a new HDMI AV in the future.

Any recommendations for an Amp upgrade?

Thanks.

A

Anonymous

Andrew,

Around £600.

I like Pioneers and have looked at the Pioneer VSX-LX52 and 920 models....

A

Anonymous

Sorry Andrew, I edited my post before I saw your reply. How do you think these Pioneers compare (I know that the VSX-LX52 is overbudget?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
920 is extremely good, but we reckon the Onkyo offers better value in sheer performance for the money terms, and we weren't convinced by the value offered by the LX52 when we tested it, simply because the lower-priced competition is so good.

A

Anonymous

I don't think the lx-52 is 3d compatible in terms of hdmi, of course you could use the analogue inputs as you mentioned earlier. this certainly would have more muscle and control than the vsx-920. I had a 920 until recently and it has an excellent feature set, it just lost a little control at reference level (0) for my liking.

If you could use the money you will save on the analogue leads, you could get something like the 608 or 708 maybe!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts