3D veiwing with glasses

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Unfortunately I have weak eyesight and from what I have read, viewing 3D content neccesitates the use of glasses.

As I already need to wear spectacles to watch TV/cinema I don`t find the thought of wearing another pair of glasses over the top of my existing ones a comfortable prospect.

Looking at the bottom of page 53 of What HiFi Sound and Vision, April 2010, there is an article titled, 3D TV in your lounge.... in which Gerry O`sullivan (director of strategic product development for Sky) is in no doubt that that 3D TV will succeed.

I was wondering, Gerry, if you`re reading this...... do you wear glasses?

A

Anonymous

I think it will be very popular for people who feel comfortable with it.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:Another shudder runs through the corridors in Osterley...

Andrew, as a consulting editor, would you mind being a little more expansive with your comments, please?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Alavana:Andrew, as a consulting editor, would you mind being a little more expansive with your comments, please?

I don't quite see why one leads to the other...

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:Andrew and I have also added comments to this other, recent thread re 3D/glasses - a friendly reminder to have a look at what other threads are running before starting another, very similar one.

Typing 3D in the "search forums" search bar brings zero results. It would be helpful if this could be rectified for future posts.

Thanks.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
you can't cut roses with a non-sequitur...

My two cents' worth is that this is a gimmick to sell new screens. The content will be minimal - they're yet to get credible and constant HD to the masses, nevermind 3D.

So, for the same of 3-4 hours of programming a week, I'm sure you'll be able to manage the double-glasses. Unless you're a retired snookerist.

A

Anonymous

i think deirdre will have to pass too

deirdre_89.jpg

A

Anonymous

Big Aura:

you can't cut roses with a non-sequitur...

My two cents' worth is that this is a gimmick to sell new screens. The content will be minimal - they're yet to get credible and constant HD to the masses, nevermind 3D.

So, for the same of 3-4 hours of programming a week, I'm sure you'll be able to manage the double-glasses. Unless you're a retired snookerist.

I`m sorry old fruit, I don`t rise to hecklers. The purpose of this is to have your say and ask the experts, and that is all I am guilty of doing from my first post of this thread.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
Alavana - I'm not "heckling" you, just merely voicing an opinion that the format is a gimmick and will, in all probability, have minimal impact on day-to-day viewing.

They're only words on a screen...

A

Anonymous

Do you think it will take off in the way Sky would like it to?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Alavana:I`m sorry old fruit, I don`t rise to hecklers.

So you want answers without asking questions, and you won't respond to discussion - intriguing...

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Alavana:Do you think it will take off in the way Sky would like it to?

Only time and the market will tell, but would you really expect Sky to say anything other than that it's going to be a huge success?

A

Anonymous

I prefer to seek the opinion of readers of this forum. No one is so jejune to believe Sky would want otherwise.

A

Anonymous

Alavana:Do you think it will take off in the way Sky would like it to?i dont think it will , i think it will be popular with people who want to watch an occasional 3d bluray at home , and with kids ..

maybe there will be a market for 3d sports in the home , but i dont think that will take off in the pubs , i just dont see everyone wanting to put on the glasses in the pub , especially people like yourself who wear glasses .

what happens if 4 friends go to the pub , 2 wear glasses and 2 dont , the 2 with the glasses dont care for watching 3d , do they go to different pubs ?? maybe a few dedicated 3d areas would be popular , but thats going to only be possible in a certain amount of pubs ..

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Alavana:I prefer to seek the opinion of readers of this forum. No one is so jejune to believe Sky would want otherwise.

Ah, right. Well, good luck then...

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
Once any product starts getting close to hitting the plateau of its lifecycle (i.e. there's a slowing/levelling of demand for new HD subscriptions) they need to start developing the next product, so that it's in a steep ascent in 3D demand as HD levels off and starts to dip. Think Sky -->> Sky+ -->> Sky+HD.

Sky have more money than any other broadcaster, and are continually seeking ways to invest - this is something that they think they can do better than anyone else, so they hope with as much hype and drive they'll be able to do it.

I don't believe they will.

I had a friend who used to work for sky and he left because "[he] felt bad working for a company that spent all day dreaming up ways to make really, really poor people pay way too much to watch rubbish on telly all day long".

D

Deleted member 2457

I thought 3D can't be watched by kids under 6?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:

Alavana:I prefer to seek the opinion of readers of this forum. No one is so jejune to believe Sky would want otherwise.

Ah, right. Well, good luck then...

Andrew, that wasn`t directed at you, it was simply a comment. I aoplogise if I have given you that impression.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I hate to say it, but I think Sky is aiming at a demographic that are less likely to include many glasses-wearers - contact lenses, maybe, but not specs...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts