3D TVs died before they had a chance to get good – I think it’s time for them to come back

tjc2005

May 20, 2023
Visit site
The BEST and one of the last 3D tvs from LG was the Oled C6 and G6, I still own a 55inch C6, it's 4k and passive 3D. No other tv comes close to the 3D experience. They gave up on them just as they got good. I also own a Sony with active glasses, whilst the 3D is decent, I hate the glasses and it's nowhere near the level of my c6.

The C6 has practically zero ghosting or double vision compared to the crappy active sets.

I think they ended making 3d Tvs in 2017 (LG)

But my main tv is now a 77inchg G1, Imagine what 3D would be like on that! Still 4k but the bump in size means it would be so immersive.

jordlr

Apr 20, 2015
Visit site
I loved 3d. I have a Samsung UE48JS8500 with active glasses. The particle effects in Guardians of the Galaxy in 4k 3D are spectacular and make the already awsome film even better and more immersive.

Although it has reduced in quantity, some films still appear at the cinema in 3D. I just wish these were still produced on blueray/uhd discs and streaming channels still included the content. Surely it can easily be reintroduced as it is just a software/processor function.

Johnbrine

May 22, 2023
Visit site
I had a 3d tv at one time, had the glasses for it too. I think it should come back, too, IMO what helped to sink it was the cost of the active glasses, and that they were not included with the 3d TV itself, you had to buy ‘em separately, for 4?pairs that was expensive , plus some titles were company exclusives, eg to get one/it you had to buy a tv as well, you couldn’t just buy the disk on the open market, plus the flow of titles was slow in coming

scoughlan67

Oct 23, 2022
Visit site
4K and even 8K screens are perfectly suited for 3D that's actually good – but we'll probably never get it.

3D TVs died before they had a chance to get good – I think it’s time for them to come back : Read more
I think you are missing 50% of the arguement here, which is the 50% polarising light loss which constantly made all 3D images dark, dark, dark... This, as well as the resolution problem, has been overcome with new technology. Think how much brighter 3D images would be now with the new generation of super bright screens.

May 23, 2023
Visit site
3D never went away. It is alive and well for those with a half decent projector! I’ve got an old Sony 1080 projector and we love 3D movie night, and movie night guests are always pleasantly shocked at how much better and more natural a viewing experience 3D viewing is with active shutter technology. Sony, Epson, and Panasonic all are still producing and supporting projectors that support 3D in 1080p and, Sony’s at least with Reality Creation upscaling to a sort of faux 2k, still looks very sharp and vibrant with a 100” image only 6 or 7ft away. Just get a second hand projector and a bunch of cheap second hand 3D Blu-rays you can pick up for literally a few quid each and family and friends will have a whale of a time!

Last edited:
May 23, 2023
Visit site
So many inaccuracies in this article I don't even know where to begin...
lazy comment, and with respect hard to take seriously. I'm afraid this is one of those citation required situations. If you're not going to point out the alleged accuracies, we've no idea if you yourself are mistaken..

May 23, 2023
Visit site
I loved 3d. I have a Samsung UE48JS8500 with active glasses. The particle effects in Guardians of the Galaxy in 4k 3D are spectacular and make the already awsome film even better and more immersive.

Although it has reduced in quantity, some films still appear at the cinema in 3D. I just wish these were still produced on blueray/uhd discs and streaming channels still included the content. Surely it can easily be reintroduced as it is just a software/processor function.
3D is NEVER native 4k. Do you mean 1080 upscaled?

Pieholecram2

Dec 5, 2023
Visit site
I had the luck of buying one of the last Mitsubishi 82-inch tv's built in 2012, last of the last for them with built in 3d. I also managed to get about 8 pairs of the last active 3d glasses, plug in, easy to use very good glasses. I loved the 3d experience so much that I have not been able to let the tv go even though I have 4 other 4k tvs. I will never sell my 82 inch unless they bring 3d back to 4k or 8k. It is an amazing experience on an 82-inch tv. I had to resort to buying some of my 3d movies on amazon Uk. What an amazing experience when you have top of the line glasses. So upset they blew away 3d on a whim before it had a chance to get good for most people, then again, my experience is amazing. Someone out there bring 3d to 4k and 8k, I am ready to buy now.

Reactions: WayneKerr

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts