2nd Systems

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
I thought i would find out what 2nd systems were around - i believe as these are often a mix of old kit and some bargains they can be actually the most fun to play around with. With a main system you tend to look for end sound quality - my 2nd system is in a small cellar which works as a pc desk space and some storage. Sound quality is really not as important but my system there comprises. Source - PC only - just an output from the soundcard Amp - Little Dot III as preamp with a NAD C320BEE used as a power amp Speakers - Epos M5 Other - Chord Silverscreen and Soundstyle Z2 stands This is a mix of old replaced kit from the last 5 years or so. The Epos M5's i really like which i picked up for £175 new when the M5i came out and is probably my biggest bargain buy. The NAD was under £100 off ebay and in good condition. The Little Dot III was used as my headphone amp for quite a while when my boy was younger and noise levels had to be kept low. Now it works for headphone use in the cellar and as a preamp softening the PC / NAD sound. Actually given there is no DAC and the source isnt anything special at all, it does rather well.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
My second system consists of a Sonos ZP120 and a pair of Roth Oli 2s, which were 50 quid from Play (new!), works nicely, it's currently in the dining room, where it gets not a lot of use, when we move the living room into the dining room it'll probably end up in the pool table room, where it'll get a bit more use.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Squeezebox Touch (new), linked to main system's macmini via homeplugs

Denon DM38 (new)

Monitor Audio Monitor 3 speaekrs (old, taken from the previous main system after upgrade)

Rel Q100 sub (old, taken from the previous main system after upgrade)

So, exaclty as the OP said - a mix of old and new, and relatively small scale

A

Anonymous

My second system consists of:

iMac - usb out to King Rex UD-01 dac and separate power supply (my first foray into dacs)

NAD C352 integrated amp (that auction site)

Wharfedale 9.1 (on sale for 1/2 price -although they're cheap enough anyway!)

...and very enjoyable it is too...

A

Anonymous

Ive got a bose wave radio series 1 in the study, usually plugged into a laptop or ipod. It was handed down after my great uncle died, he purchased it new from the back of the newspaper magazine.

2nd movie system is a sony all DAV all in one system in the bedroom.

A

Anonymous

My system in my sig is in the bedroom where we do our main listening, but I have a second system in the lounge.

It is a cyrus 8vs2 and psx-r, rega apollo and leema xero's. Hooked up with oddy 4 and atlas equator mk2, partington super dreadnoughts and atacama rack. Sounds really good, so very pleased with it.

Got an ipod dock thing in the study room so that I dont have to annoy the neighbours when Im working by turning up my hifi in the bedroom.

And if I want to go quiet for the lady, then I have some grado headphones.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Haven't really got a second system. Got one of these in the spare front bedroom (Sony CMT-SE1), got my Pure Chronos CD in my bedroom and got my Pure Evoke 1S Marshall in the kitchen. Oh, and The Wife has a Cyruslink linkdock and her 1st gen Nano on the sideboard in the dining room.

A

Anonymous

My second system:

Cambridge audio a340 amp, Dali Ikon 1 speakers, hotaudio usb2 DAC and NAD IPD2 dock.

zappa 100

Sep 8, 2007
Visit site
Toshiba 520 dvd player (makes a fine job of music with rhythm and detail)-Cash Converter
Creek 4140 amp( a classic !)- Ebay £40
Monitor Audio Monitor 9 speakers (Infinite baffle, Metal domes, 20 years old)
- Ebay £22
Used in bedroom. Speakers kept in wardrobe have to be brought out and put on bedside units for listening.
Not the best arrangement but beats watching Corrie of an evening !

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
Mine consists of

a pair of Mission 780 (which I've had from new and used to be on my main system a few years back)

a Cambridge Audio A5 Amp (bought in a hurry one afternoon when just moved in and realised I needed something capable of playing music as people were coming round)

a Cambridge Audio iPod dock (bought at the same time as the amp)

I then use an iPod or Sky box as a source. Sounds perfectly decent for what I use it for.

A

Anonymous

My second system belongs to my daughter

NAD CDP older than my daughter

Audio Innovations Amp

Eltax Monitor 3 speakers

idc

Ipod Classic- Russ Andrews GQ24 cable - Musical Fidleity XCANS modified by Rock Grotto - vintage headphone collection. In other words, my first headphone set up before I upgraded.

Naxos

Oct 31, 2008
Visit site
Currently using my trusty Pioneer NS-7 system in the office (anyone remember them?), soon to be replaced by a Denon DM 38, and a Roberts MP43 DAB/CD/i-Pod dock in the bedroom.

WinterRacer

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
I've got a collection of old hi-fi which I haven't been able to bring myself to get rid of, which one day I plan to have as a 3rd system
emotion-2.gif

However, the current 2nd system consists Squeezebox Duet, AVI 9.1, AVI sub. Also I have a headphone system not connected to main system of iRiver iHP40 (old mp3 player with optical out), Musical Fidelity V-dac, Graham Slee Solo and Sennheiser HD650.

A

Anonymous

To be honest, some of you guys have 2nd systems that cost twice my 1st system... But anyway: Denon DCD-500AE (served in 1st system until I realised a 30 year old Philips sounds quite a bit better AND has a much quieter mechanism), Pioneer SA-606 (I take care to always have one vintage Pioneer amp in the house, as I keep coming back to those) and AKG K 530 headphones (all-round usage, very good VFM headphones IMHO). All in the study, used when I'm working at home.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Looking like:-

• Marantz CD63 Mk2 KI Signature
  • Marantz PM66SE KI Signature
  • Castle Richmond 2 speakers (probably on Atacama SE24 stands)
  • Interconnects and cables tbc.

I should really sell the lot (it will probably be wasted on the OH in her sewing room) but I love my Marantz kit and it's good to have a quality back-up system in case of disaster!

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
If not my Arcam Alpha 9 amp, Krix superbrix speakers and Rotel CDP which is still at my parent's place, I suppose it'd be my Sennheiser 595s and FUBAR IV running off either my computer or iPod and ND-S1. In the event of children or other force majeure my main system should be compact enough to move into the relative safety of my bedroom and I can think about something cheaper for the living room.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts