2nd hand turntable

tomayresss

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
I'm looking to buy my first turntable for as cheap as I possibly can, so obviously looking down the second-hand route. I was wondering what brands and models might be a good starting point, and a decent price starting point (is £50 ambitiously low?).

Also I know very little about turntables and vinyls so am looking for any pointers/things to look out for in terms of the player/stylus/cartridge etc.

Will be using it in conjunction with a NAD C352 and Quad 11L speakers.

Thanks for your help

Tom.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
You should have no problem getting a resonable used turntable for that kind of money, but you may well have to budget for a new cartridge (or at least stylus), and the lack of a phono stage on your NAD amp means you'll also need to buy a phono preamp, which will cost at least as much as your £50 budget.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
You *might* get away with £50 if you are lucky, but you will be right at the bottom end, and I'm assuming that you can pick up the turntable rather than getting it shipped from the seller.

Available options are either a Dual 505/2 for £25ish (which normally comes with an Ortofon OM cartridge - replacement styli available on ebay for around a tenner), or a Pioneer PL-12d for around the same cost, but budget in an Audio Technica AT-91 for around £18.

You can then get a Vivanco phono stage from Richer Sounds @ £20.

The combo will be able to support a better phono stage such as the Rega Fono Mini at around £60, but this can come later on.

tomayresss

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
Thanks very much for the advice - I am watching a couple of the models you suggested.

If you or anyone else has any suggestions of other models which might be suitable, more suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks.

EDIT: If I could up my budget, would the extra money be put to better use on the TT or on the phono stage?

Rob998

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
£50 is not a lot, but occasionally you drop on a bargain, I paid £50 for my Systemdek, complete with Roksan arm, which I reckon qualifies as a massive bargain. So great deals are out there, you just have to do a little digging...

Spend the extra on a TT, get the best one you can, it's always best to spend the money on source components in the first instance.

Paul.

You can try searching for spelling mistakes on eBay, for instance searching 'Marrantz' instead of 'Marantz'. This can sometimes get you a bargain misspelled products very rarely have bidders.

Good luck!

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
rob998:
£50 is not a lot, but occasionally you drop on a bargain, I paid £50 for my Systemdek, complete with Roksan arm, which I reckon qualifies as a massive bargain. So great deals are out there, you just have to do a little digging...

Spend the extra on a TT, get the best one you can, it's always best to spend the money on source components in the first instance.

Massive bargain is a bit of an understatement. I waited ages for a Systemdek to come up near enough to me for me to collect in person, but paid considerably more than £50. Don't regret it though, a great deck.

TRENDING THREADS