2nd hand purchase vs new

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi new guy here. Hopefully someone can give me some wise words re a dilemma I am having.

I currently run a mid 90s Rotel pre/power amp combo. The pre is the RC970BX II and the power RB971.

Call me lazy but due to the location of my kit and the room layout volume changing has become a complete pain and significantly reduces the usability of my hi fi, so I am looking for a remote control amp.

I have found a 2nd hand RC972 pre-amp with a dealer for about £125 which clearly would match my power amp and I guess would leave the sound of my set up unchanged. I could PX my current pre with the dealer or try to offload it on ebay.

For info my CD Player is a Marantz CD6000 OSE KI Sig and speakers are Kef Q4.

This is not high end kit so spending large amounts of dosh is not on the agenda (or worthwhile) but the dilemma is whether I should consider replacing my amp set up altogether with something more up to date.

My current issue is one of convenience, but if an upgrade would pay big sonic dividends then that might be the way to go.

Any thoughts/ideas gratefully received.

up the music

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
If you like the way your system sounds, just go for a remote controlled pre to get you using it again.

You would see sonic gains with an upgrade but that goes for any system. It depends on whether you'd like to fork out the extra for the gains.

Is there any aspect of your current sound that's 'not doing it' for you?

A

Anonymous

TBH I think that the speakers are probably where the thing falls down. They are fine in the treble and midrange clarity stakes, but lack the projection and drive I would like, which I would put down to lack of bass weight. I would love to change them for something meatier, but they were a compromise purchase due to being relatively unobtrusive and anything larger would be unlikely to meet with the necessary "approval" (if you get my meaning).

Do you think switching amps is really going to address that?

I could ask the dealer to do a comparison between the 2nd hand Rotel pre/power set up they have on offer and something more modern in the £200-300 bracket to see if there is a major difference.

A

Anonymous

That's what I like, clear, decisive advice!

The dealer also has another RB 971 power amp for sale, so in theory I could buy that and bridge them. Is that likely to improve the sound hugely or am I still overly constrained by the speakers?

up the music

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
Bridging them to make 2 180W monoblocks is an option. You're likely to get better sound bi amping if your speakers will let you. Can you get your speakers down to the dealers for a dem or a home loan?

I've got a few RB970's doing rear surround duties. My amps run quite warm. A word of caution. Don't sit one directly on top of the other. Leave enough cooling space between them.

The Rotels come up often on EBay too. Keep an eye open there.

A

Anonymous

Thanks. I am interested in the possiblity of bi-amping (bridged mono seems over complicated and I have heard can cause distortion). I guess the dealer can advise as to the compatibility of my speakers.

The dealer is in Hereford and I live in Herts so a fair distance to travel. That said I am going to Ludlow in a week's time, so I could probably go to Hereford on the way and take my current RB971 along for the ride and try it out in their showroom alongside the one they have on sale and the pre-amp. Would be interesting to compare. They are a Kef dealer as well, so may have something comparable to the Q4. Will investigate.

A

Anonymous

Well I phoned up the dealer with a view to going to see the RC 972 on Saturday and it's gone...

None on ebay at the mo either as far as I can see, but of course now I have the hunger to get something soon.

One option would be to try and get hold of another (more recent) Rotel pre-amp with a remote (I want to stick with the pre/power amp set up). I think sticking with Rotel makes sense.

Thoughts/suggestions?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts