2nd hand hifi - a good buy?

noeluk

Jul 20, 2009
Visit site
Hello

I probably wouldn't buy second hand a CD player, certainly not if it's older than three/four years.

Should I feel confident buying second hand speakers? I've seen some B&Ws that I've been interested in. 

How about an integrated amp?

Obviously I wouldn't buy without listening, and I would collect and pay cash in person.

Does anyone have any good / bad experiences?

A

Anonymous

As long as the speakers are in good condition, then they are usually fine. The only problems to look out for are the condition of the woofer surrounds - if they are cracking, they will need refoaming sooner than later and this is more premature with paper cone woofers. B&W speakers are one manafacturer I would trust with its older products - especially as they use Kevlar drivers in the speakers and their level of craftmanship is incredibly high for such a high-volume manafacturer.

Integrated amplifiers are less trust-worthy, but are usually fine if they have been respected. A class-A design will not usually last as long as a class-AB or Super class-A design as they operate at much higher temperatures and so the internal circuitry degrades quicker. Also, check for the amount of background noise present, if there is lots, this usually indicated a wrongly set DC ofset value or a problem with the transformer and/or capacitors which can damage speakers rapidly. Another more common problem is dry joints which can develop over time often leaving a channel inopperable or lacking in power. This is more common in PCB designs which are common in the 1980s. Also listen for crackles and pops when turning the volume dial, tone dials and input switches as this indicated problems with the pots. It could be dust, but it could be a faulty connection - it's not worth taking the risk though!

More importantly, always go for a bargain!

A

Anonymous

I buy 2nd gear here in the States, my tuner, turntable, ampifier and speaker-cables are all second-hand and cost about 40% of new - the cables 25 % of new - all have been great. These were all from my local 2nd hifi store, a true gem, so I am lucky. Likewise I have sold stuff on, via Audiogon due to upgrades and due to International relocation and so from that point of view also know that there are valid reasons to sell, that it's not due to the kit being no good, but of upgraditis or other.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
The only things I have that are new are my RS6s (ex-dem!) and my Beresford DAC, as they hold their value so well, I prefered to spend the extra 20% and buy the latest version.

There are caveats though, so I bought my Naim amps 2nd hand from a dealer that offered a 12mth warranty, and I've already had to replace the tray mechanism on my 2nd hand Arcam CD player...so there are downsides...

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
fatboyslimfast:The only things I have that are new are my RS6s (ex-dem!) and my Beresford DAC, as they hold their value so well, I prefered to spend the extra 20% and buy the latest version.

There are caveats though, so I bought my Naim amps 2nd hand from a dealer that offered a 12mth warranty, and I've already had to replace the tray mechanism on my 2nd hand Arcam CD player...so there are downsides...

It's hit and miss. On ebay, have a read of the seller's previous feedback. I bought my amp for £480 and it still had all the protective stickers on it - the lady owner had "played it for only about 20 hours" and then been made redundant. At the time, you could not buy it below the rrp of £750. Touch wood, it's been perfect in the 6 months since I've had it. I've sold all my old equipment without issue.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
I have bought (5yrs ago) a pioneer A400 for 40£. Great sound - no probs. And more recently a 10 year old Rega Brio amp and denon cd player.85£ for both. The Brio is lovely. Also, last year, ap air of epos ES14s with original stands and quality biwire cable 95£.

A bargain is a bargain is a bargain. All bought through local paper ads. My music sounds great! If uyou see an ad just go for it.

cheers Tonky

lcd4ever

Oct 23, 2008
Visit site
I also have had great results with 2nd hand gear....got a Linn Axis turntable, Nakamichi cassette deck, and 2 Arcam cd players off e-bay all working great....

I think it comes down to the fact that people who were willing to pay the price for quality products were not going to abuse them....

A

Anonymous

If you are going to buy second hand chose a manufacturer such as cyrus that has a good reputation for repairs and upgrading to current top spec......this does however relect in the prices you will pay but at the same time your purchase will retain a lot of its value.

Alan.

Greenwich_Man

Sep 6, 2008
Visit site
Appart from my KEF speakers all my kit is 2nd hand from e-bay

When I bought the NAD CD player I made sure it was local so that I could pick it up and it wouldn't have to suffer the postman

I got the NAD amp ex demo - so got a 2yr warranty with it - and I love it

The Project turntable was reconditioned - and I did have a problem after it ran out of warranty - but just cost me £25 for them to put right for me

The Phillips wireless headphones were a great price - and they continue to give a great sound

The Yamaha tape deck has been brilliant since the day it came

The Denon tuner was a great price - and it's an amazing sound

The CD recorder continues to record at great quality

Most of the interconnects - and speaker bi-wire came from e-bay

The Soundstyle rack came from e-bay and looks great

My pals say what an amazing system - with a superb sound

A

Anonymous

Hi noeluk,

I recently bought a second-hand CD player (a Rega Planet, which may be up to 8 years old). Of course, there are risks, especially on Ebay, but feedback is a decent indicator. I previously bought (and subsequently sold) second-hand equipment and had no problems so far. However, there is the further risk of buying a product that breaks soon after. No bad faith on the part of the seller, and still you're out of pocket. On the plus side, you'll get a product you couldn't afford otherwise.

Good luck, whatever you decide!!

Hedgehog

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Some brand are better than others when come to long lasting quality. The brand like Kell and Wadia are more likely to keep going until you need hearing aids! Other like Micromega are known for brake down after few years. Think of it like 2nd hand car and you are not far off.

A

Anonymous

Thaiman what rubbish you spout! micromega break down in a couple of years? couple of weeks you mean. I had a stage 3 great sound when it worked shame it had to have a new transport every 3 weeks :)

A

Anonymous

My Toshiba DVD player was second hand. £1300 new and £150 second hand. I'd call that a bargain. And it is so beautiful. The drawer comes in and out like a knife from butter. I agree with the OP's points. I always collect and pay cash. Rather see who I'm buying from and test the kit before buying. Restricts the choice a bit but that's a worthwhile trade-off.

A

Anonymous

Well about 2 years ago I bought a second hand NAD C320, it's in great condition and works fine. I would perhaps be a bit more wary of purchasing speakers as it's much easier to batter speakers than it is amps. I would also be wary about buying a second hand cd player to especially so if it's quite an old cd player because it's reasonable to think that problems are just around the corner.

A

Anonymous

Hey!!! I've got a Micromega Stage 4, are yar dissin' it? Wanna step outside? Oh wait a minute, I've got to go and fix my player, maybe later?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Neon K:

Hey!!! I've got a Micromega Stage 4, are yar dissin' it? Wanna step outside? Oh wait a minute, I've got to go and fix my player, maybe later?

If anyone like micromega's sound, which I would call "classy, romantic" kinna sound I would look for the DAC which can be had quite cheaply, so you woun't have to keep buying "job lots" transports every year.

A

Anonymous

I'm only on my second Transport really - it's been good about 8 years now, however I've just started using it again after a few years, and it took 1/2 an hour of running a Cd cleaner in the tray before it'd read a CD. Sounds great though!

A

Anonymous

Neon K:I'm only on my second Transport really - it's been good about 8 years now, however I've just started using it again after a few years, and it took 1/2 an hour of running a Cd cleaner in the tray before it'd read a CD. Sounds great though!

Ooh i think your quite lucky, I had mine for 18 months and after taking back it back for the 4th time to my local hi fi emporium they give me a full refund! which was a noble gesture on their behalf, but at the same time it was slighly dissapointing as i loved the sound. shame there wasnt an alternitive transport available that would have fixed the issue permenanlty

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts