24p and 120hz

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello everybody,

I notice how new TV and PJ seems to compete to offer the fluidest reproduction of our content.

It gets from 60hz to 100hz to 120hz to 200hz and more...

Now the question is: with 24p being the standard film setting (in cinema, Blu-ray), what's the point of having such high frequencies in the reproduction?

Do TV create 4-5 new "fake" images to introduce between 2 real recorded images?

Wouldn't it look better if all TV were able to output in 24hz instead of 120hz?

I just don't like the way the picture look on some new TV sets I've seen in stores. It seems too smooth, too fluid.

What about cinemas? What are their output frequency?

Thanks and good day to all,

JonaLX

FuzzyinLondon

Dec 5, 2007
Visit site
Old cinema projectors projected each frame twice so you might describe them as 48hz to usual the television parlance. The reason for this is to reduce the amount of flicker discernable to the human eye. I think modern digital cinema projectors do the same but are capable of delivering 48fps to each eye in 3D mode.

TV manufacturers vary in their approach to handling a 24fps signal from Blu Ray. I think the 8G & 9G Pioneers used 72hz (repeating each frame 3 times), the latest Panasonics Plasmas use 96hz (repeating each frame four times) to reduce flicker.

Also, bear in mind that the TVs you see in stores often have their picture 'enhancements' left on. That means the extra motion interpolation available in many sets will give that extra smooth 'soap opera' effect that you describe. With some of these enhancements on, yes, the tv is creating extra frames that artificially smooth the picture. They can be useful at the lowest settings with certain types of broadcasts.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts