24FPs confuses me

Zubkabera

Nov 15, 2007
Visit site
Hi ! I need help I recently got my hands on WH award 2007 issue and saw some LCD and Plasma's were highly marked with 24FPS what does it mean.

I want to buy either Sony KDL-40w2000 but it doens't say if it is 24fps I also can't see any panasonic LCD or Plasma say 24fps.

Is 24fps only associated with Plasma or both with LCD as well. Sorry for my ignorance but I am not techy.

If I have to choose between SONY KDL-40W2000 or Panasonic TX-37PY70 or LX70 I also saw new Sony KDL-40D3000 which also looks nice. Which one is the best and future proof.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Not knowing exactly whether this is correct, I assume that this means the equipment is running exactly in time with the way things are filmed ie 24 frames per second which is how the majority of film is shot and therefore it's invisible to the naked eye. I guess if this is matched it gives a smoother image than 22fps or suchlike.

correct me if I'm wrong please someone

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
OK, 24fps (frames per second) is the native speed of film, but not broadcast TV - which is 50- or 60Hz, depending on whether you're in Europe (PAL system) or US (NTSC). Unsurprisingly, TVs are meant to suit the latter, not the former.

If your TV/projector doesn't support 24fps, there is risk of some judder in faster-moving HD scenes.

The Sony 40W2000 is a great TV from last year (before there were any Blu-ray or HD DVD players on the market), but it isn't 24fps.

The W3000 is this year's model and does support 24fps. It's a great set, but we believe you can buy a better picture for your money.

Do you only have room for a 37in or 40in set? If so, the Sony is one of the best you can buy (if you can afford its price tag). Much cheaper - but better with black levels, and much better overall value - is the 37in Panasonic plamsa, the TH-37PX70. It's got a lower screen resolution that the Sony, but looks superb with all kinds of content, and does support Full HD (ie Blu-ray and HD DVD) at 24fps.

If you really feel you have to have a higher-resolution set - one that's able to display Full HD content at its native resolution (without downscaling it to suit the TV screen), check out Panasonic's 37in LCD, the TX-37LZD70 alongside that Sony.

We're also about to review Toshiba's new 40in 'pictureframe' Regza, which is looking very promising indeed. Review in January issue, out December 13th.

Zubkabera

Nov 15, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Clare for your detailed and very helpful answer and recomendations.

My budget is limited to 1500 Euro I have the option to buy either Sony KDL-40w2000 for 1200 euro and invest rest in good HDMI cable or go for Pana 37LZD70 which is same price, the Sony 40W3000 is for 2000 euro which is out of my budget. How about Samsung LE46M86B which I can get for 1600 euro.

My room can take 40-46in LCD or Plasma. should I go with pana or is there better bigger option for my hard earned cash.

Thanks once again for your help.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts