20yrs - a tribute.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
D'Angelo' Brown Sugar turns 20 this year.....unbelievable!

The most underrated album of all time. It still sounds as good today as the first time I heard it - the production on it is spot on .

Anyone with a half decent set, you owe it to yourself to own a copy even if normally you don't touch this type of music.

To D'Angelo's 'Brown Sugar' ...... *drinks*

JamesMellor

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:

The most underrated album of all time. It still sounds as good today as the first time I heard it - the production on it is spot on .

Anyone with a half decent set, you owe it to yourself to own a copy even if normally you don't touch this type of music.

My Dali 470's turn 20 this year , you think they are run in yet ? :)

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Covenanter said:
I'd never heard of this so I had a listen. Taste is something that can't be debated but I won't be buying this.

Chris

Why? The lyrics are so.... passionate (for lack of a better word). :D

Let me tell you 'bout this girl, maybe I shouldn't
I met her in Philly and her name was Brown Sugar
See, we be making love constantly
That's why my eyes are a shade blood burgundy

The way that we kiss is unlike any other way
That I be kissin' when I'm kissin' what I'm missin'
Won't you listen?

Brown Sugar babe, I gets high off your love
I don't know how to behave

I want some of your Brown Sugar, ooh ooh

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Covenanter said:
I'd never heard of this so I had a listen.  Taste is something that can't be debated but I won't be buying this.

Chris

Had a listen!?....

Listen to:

'Me an those dreamin eyes of mine.'

'Smooth'

Cruisin (cover of Smokey's classic..... Owned!)

Actually let the album role after 'Smooth' track 6........

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Im not falling for that

Last time you recommended a tune on youtube (the one to test bass lines on a system)

I almost puked lol

Andrew I'm shocked.....

Just go through the album....you'll see.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Ooh we...baby, you've redefined my vision of love it seems
Your love be da cherry in my chocolate covered dreams
So it seems, my oh my,
Me and those dreaming eyes of mine

Oh my goodness, here she comes, switching that ass
I wondered if the men in her past have treated he bad
But if I had the chance, I'd treat her like a Queen
Just like I do in all my dreams
If you only knew how many times that I think of you
I'm quite sure that you would find, I'm going out of my mind
My oh my, me and those dreaming eyes of mine.

And I thought Prince was oversaturated with begging for sex. If I had a black girlfriend D'Angelo is probably something I would listen to. Maybe.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Ooh we...baby, you've redefined my vision of love it seemsYour love be da cherry in my chocolate covered dreamsSo it seems, my oh my,Me and those dreaming eyes of mine

Oh my goodness, here she comes, switching that assI wondered if the men in her past have treated he badBut if I had the chance, I'd treat her like a QueenJust like I do in all my dreamsIf you only knew how many times that I think of youI'm quite sure that you would find, I'm going out of my mindMy oh my, me and those dreaming eyes of mine.

And I thought Prince was oversaturated with begging for sex. If I had a black girlfriend D'Angelo is probably something I would listen to. Maybe.

You miss the point off music.....

Listen to the tune - don't critic, judge, label just listen.

For what it's worth you don't need a black girlfriend - white women, Asian women actually any woman can appreciate these lyrics - works alot better when it's put to the music and better still if your set can deliver.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Freddy58 said:

Missed this one.....

Exactly Freddy!

Its criminal this album did not get the airplay it deserved.

It genuinely set a new standard and is more influential than any album from that time.

Go through the tracks and listen.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
Vladimir said:
Ooh we...baby, you've redefined my vision of love it seemsYour love be da cherry in my chocolate covered dreamsSo it seems, my oh my,Me and those dreaming eyes of mine

Oh my goodness, here she comes, switching that assI wondered if the men in her past have treated he badBut if I had the chance, I'd treat her like a QueenJust like I do in all my dreamsIf you only knew how many times that I think of youI'm quite sure that you would find, I'm going out of my mindMy oh my, me and those dreaming eyes of mine.

For what it's worth you don't need a black girlfriend - white women, Asian women actually any woman can appreciate these lyrics - works alot better when it's put to the music and better still if your set can deliver.

Yeah. But it has that East Coast style, makes me want some Brown Sugar too (like Danai Gurira) damn it.

Ever had a pasty white ex from Finland that listened to black metal all day and consiedered it sublime poetry? If you played her some neo soul the CD case will appear on your colonoscopy.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
Freddy58 said:

Missed this one.....

Exactly Freddy!

Its criminal this album did not get the airplay it deserved.

It genuinely set a new standard and is more influential than any album from that time.

Go through the tracks and listen.

I could only manage 3 tracks, really not my thing, sorry. I think Vlad summed it up pretty well, in post #10

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
Covenanter said:
I'd never heard of this so I had a listen. Taste is something that can't be debated but I won't be buying this.

Chris

Had a listen!?....

Listen to:

'Smooth'

I'm sorry but it does nothing for me. Different strokes for different folks!

Chris

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Small wonder you guys come across as so angry all the time.... :)

Program tracks 1,2,4,6,7,8,9 &10 in your player while you''re vacuuming, washing the dishes, ironing your work clothes or doing your timesheets...

Let the thing wash over you - then later consider the harmonies, the flow, the composition and detail of the music - it's a beautiful thing, a young man's view on love, life and possibilities before bitterness and resentment takes over....

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Thompsonuxb said:
?

Vladimir said:

Yeah. But it has that East Coast style, makes me want some Brown Sugar too (like Danai Gurira) damn it.

Ever had a pasty white ex from Finland that listened to black metal all day and consiedered it sublime poetry? If you played her some neo soul the CD case will appear on your colonoscopy.

I won't slip into relationship guidance counseling but with a chi....girlfriend or is it partner?..... Anyway, like that I'd play this to her while she's sleeping - she would wake up a better person.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
I'll say this for you, you're certainly resilient  *biggrin*

Freddy which 3 tracks was it?

I'll say this I too thought this album was a little wishy washy all those years ago but time genuinely open my ears to the work of genius this album is.

Fact he does all the vocals on the track all the harmonies - played all the instruments on most tracks and arranged all the music......

It's one of those things, I wished I'd written it......

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
Vladimir said:
Thompsonuxb said:
?

Vladimir said:

I won't slip into relationship guidance counseling but with a chi....girlfriend or is it partner?..... Anyway, like that I'd play this to her while she's sleeping - she would wake up a better person.

Thousands of euros of therapy failed vs D'Angelo sleep torture. Hmmm...

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Covenanter said:
Thompsonuxb said:
Covenanter said:
I'd never heard of this so I had a listen.  Taste is something that can't be debated but I won't be buying this.

Chris

Had a listen!?....

Listen to:

'Smooth'

I'm sorry but it does nothing for me.  Different strokes for different folks!

Chris

Chris, it ain't even 1o'clock.......

...... fair enough.... :)

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Thompsonuxb said:
Vladimir said:
Thompsonuxb said:
?

Vladimir said:

You see, now if you had come to me I'd have saved you a fortune.......

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
Vladimir said:
Thompsonuxb said:
Vladimir said:
Thompsonuxb said:
?

Vladimir said:

You see, now if you had come to me I'd have saved you a fortune.......

I didn't pay for her therapy. I just suffered the results. And now I'm angry about hi-fi. So angry...

iMark

Thompsonuxb said:

I will probably dislike it just as much as I did 20 years ago.

There's a saying in Dutch: "over smaak valt niet te twisten".

TRENDING THREADS