20k mains cable

A

Anonymous

Jim

Thats always what's bugged me too, and of course I don't want to start a thread about pros and cons of mains cables/conditioners etc. Bugs me the power has travelled through miles and miles of bog standard cable and somehow the last 3 feet at £20,000 makes a huge difference. Not a physicist so never could understand this. I'm sure something to get rid of interference in the home etc (fridges etc) sounds logical but nothing much further than that to me. However, each of course to their own.

SnowyJohn

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
AlmaataKZ said:
... and they will never be able to explain what does it do and how. Won't even try.:)

Well, if you read the article in question they clearly try to explain how it works. That doesn't mean it does of course.

The article in question is just a press release. The E&T magazine actually has a far more interesting article which I thought about creating a thread about but, as a pacifist, I thought again.

Since you have the ball rolling, have a read of this (link) for the IET (Institute of Engineering and Technology's) view on "Audio and Technology Mythology".

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
OMG with a 20K cable you guess how much would be the cost of the whole hifi system if the 10% rule of thumb principle for cable is adopted. Could someone advise what kind of system is available in the market :wall: I don't have any idea at all :(

A

Anonymous

SnowyJohn said:
Since you have the ball rolling, have a read of this (link) for the IET (Institute of Engineering and Technology's) view on "Audio and Technology Mythology".

Er, I posted that link earlier in another thread!! :wall:

A

Anonymous

Inter_Voice said:
OMG with a 20K cable you guess how much would be the cost of the whole hifi system if the 10% rule of thumb principle for cable is adopted.

I reckon about 3 million quid...assuming you have a 4 box cd player, pre and mono blocks, that's 7 cables (£140k), as much again on speaker cable (£280k total) and that's the 10% cost...so £2.8million overall!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes, working for me now, too. But that 'news' story is interesting – the product was launched at the 2008 Munich High End Show, IIRC. Surely that site didn't run it as news just to link to its lazy 'myths' feature?

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
AlmaataKZ said:
... and they will never be able to explain what does it do and how. Won't even try.:)

Well, if you read the article in question they clearly try to explain how it works. That doesn't mean it does of course.

no, they don't try to explain how it works. they do try to sell, though. a lot of statements that have no cause and effect link or quantification of effect.

e.g. ' This gives a new level of power transmission efficiency coupled to superb mechanical damping and rejection of external RFI/EM interference.'

new level of transmission efficiency? - what was the old level and what is the new level? what is an absolute and lrelative improvement in the efficiency? and what measured effect does it have on sound? was there a need to improve in the first palce?

mechanical damping? - damping of what? why? by how much? is it needed at all?

rejection of extenral RFI/EM interference? - what frequencies are rejected and by how many decibels? and what happens if they are not rejected? do normally home-encountered RFI and EM interf. impact the sound at all? (probably no difference in sound!). is there a need to reject at all?

useless weasel words.

Sorry, I cannot stand this type of advertising.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Dr Lodge said:
Inter_Voice said:
OMG with a 20K cable you guess how much would be the cost of the whole hifi system if the 10% rule of thumb principle for cable is adopted.

I reckon about 3 million quid...assuming you have a 4 box cd player, pre and mono blocks, that's 7 cables (£140k), as much again on speaker cable (£280k total) and that's the 10% cost...so £2.8million overall!

Oh, it's this thread again :rofl:

You're forgetting about the matching Odin interconnects (digital and analogue). Gotta keep it all the same because Nordost recommends the synergies provided by using the same cabling (brb, matching non-Nordost power cable with Nordost speaker cable >) )

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
It occurs to me that the sort of person that would buy such a cable, is likely to be someone who is not going to be hoodwinked by this type of marketing, but more interested in the 'exclusivity' factor. Very wealthy people are generally quite sharp.

I don't think any sane person could possibly justify the price of this cable based on it's performance merits and most of us will never be in a position to experience it.

To me, it's right up there with gold bath taps, some people buy them just because they can.

steve_1979 said:
If you fancy a laugh have a read of the customer reviews for these $8.5k speaker cables on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-K2-terminated-speaker-cable/dp/B000J36XR2

What's more interesting is what else the customers viewed

Cable.jpg

A gallon of milk, fresh whole rabbit, companion pillow, horse head mask, wolf urine lure etc.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts