2020i versus concept 20

LV-426

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Evening,

Has anyone ever done a direct comparison between the Q Acoustic 2020i and the concept 20's ?

See i have the 2020i's and think they are great speakers but am thinking of upgrading to the concepts.

But while there are reviews aplenty for both speakers I cannot seem to find any that do a direct comparison!

Also at first glance it seems the speakers are identical except for the gelcore constuction but looking deeper

the dimensions and sensitivity differ as well.

Maybe someone can provide a link or review of a comparison between the two and on a broader note do

ye think that that the hifi media/reviewers should compare a brands newest/improved product to its last !!

And what do you think they would find if they did!?

First time poster long time reader.

matthewpiano

The 2020i are fantastic speakers and a bit of a bargain. Very musical and involving, and they steer away from the tizz and boom sound that some others are guilty of.

However, the Concept 20s are tighter sounding with greater clarity. You can hear further into the mix, and yet they don't lose that innate musicality of the more affordable speaker.

This is from memory and from having heard both speakers with the same amplification but on different occasions.

Hope it helps a little, though I would strongly recommend an audition. Any Q dealer should have both, so do a proper comparison and decide with your own ears.

LV-426

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your reply Matthew and i would trust your ears but note you listened on seperate occasions.

Was hoping for a direct comparison and find it odd there is not as it seems a logical thing to do.!!

matthewpiano

LV-426 said:
Thanks for your reply Matthew and i would trust your ears but note you listened on seperate occasions.

Was hoping for a direct comparison and find it odd there is not as it seems a logical thing to do.!!

You are absolutely right, it is the logical thing to do and I agree it would be good to see a direct comparison article in the magazine. I wouldn't be surprised if the Concept 20 review in WHFS&V was done with the 2020i to hand for direct comparison, but hopefully one of the reviewers will be able to confirm this.

LV-426

May 14, 2014
Visit site
On a seperate but related topic i note your recommendation of an audition of both speaker and i fully intend to but know the nearest hifi dealers idea

of an audition is while standing in a large shop floor with everything else going on in the backround!!

Shouldn't be so but this is why prospective buyers are so dependant on reviews!!

Is it like this because people buy on the strength of a review and don't bother listening or because the auditon experience is muck and you

are forced to buy by review.!!

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
LV-426 said:
On a seperate but related topic i note your recommendation of an audition of both speaker and i fully intend to but know the nearest hifi dealers idea

of an audition is while standing in a large shop floor with everything else going on in the backround!!

Shouldn't be so but this is why prospective buyers are so dependant on reviews!!

Is it like this because people buy on the strength of a review and don't bother listening or because the auditon experience is muck and you

are forced to buy by review.!!

Don't give these people your money. find a decent dealer who will do a proper dem.

Alternatively pay for the Concepts on a credit card on the understanding that they will refund if they do not better your 2020i, take them home overnight and try them.

If they will not do that and there is no one close by, speak to Q Acoustics. Ask then to send the wretched dealer a pair of Concepts for you to try.

Tell them that you are documenting your experiences on this forum.

LV-426

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Dave i was thinking of doing something like this (maybe not contacting QA) but is one night or even one week enough to reach a conclusion?

The 2020i's took possibly two weeks to reach there best ( or was it my ears)

Sometimes i think hifi manufacturers/media/retailers get a way with alot because they have such get out of jail cards-

run in time or needs a better amp or your room is not ideal or some such.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
LV-426 said:
Dave i was thinking of doing something like this (maybe not contacting QA) but is one night or even one week enough to reach a conclusion?

The 2020i's took possibly two weeks to reach there best ( or was it my ears)

Sometimes i think hifi manufacturers/media/retailers get a way with alot because they have such get out of jail cards-

run in time or needs a better amp or your room is not ideal or some such.

Get them to lend you a demo pair, not brand new. If you cant tell in one evening then they are not worth the money.

Do not be afraid of contacting the manufacturer, often the only way to get things done, they will almost always go out of theor way to help, particularly if their dealers are being so hopeless.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts