2 speakers for centre channel

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm planning to decorate my lounge and one of my ideas is to put my plasma (Panasonic 42 PZ85) above the fireplace. It's already going to be slightly higher than desirable and so it's not going to be possible to put a centre speaker below the TV.

One option is to use a pair of speakers mounted on the wall either side of the TV to act as centre channel. I was thinking about something like Dali Ikon rears or custom wall installation speakers from B&W.

The problem is the impedance of these speakers - they all seem to be 6 or 8 ohm and I want to run them from just a single channel of my Audiolab X7 power amp, which only appears to be stable at 8 ohm.

Is this going to cause a problem, or are there special 16 ohm speakers available which would allow me to bridge 2 and still show correct impedance to the amp?

Thanks

Steve

vonchief

Dec 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi.I'm not familiar with the Audiolab x7 but if using a separate pre amplifier can't you specify no centre speaker and have all the centre channel information redirected to the left and right speakers ?

A

Anonymous

I possibly could do that, but surely on screen dialogue is better when it's locked to the screen with a specific centre speaker?

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
Going back to the beginning......do you have to put the screen above the fireplace? ÿI had to suffer this on a self-catering holiday and it caused very painful neck-ache. ÿI would have been gutted to discover I'd made such a big mistake in my own house. ÿIt also seems to be creating a speaker problem which you won't be able to solve, to be honest.

A

Anonymous

Definitely don't have to do it. But the room will look much better with the TV in the middle of the wall and the front speakers either side of the fire place.

Thanks for the advice though - I definitely don't want to be in an uncomfortable position watching TV so will have to have a bit more of a think about it.

Cheers

Steve

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Hmmm... How high is the bottom edge of TV going to be? I think I share the worries about screen height.

But regarding the centre speaker, you could always mount it above the screen, preferably angled down slightly...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts