daveblue222

May 14, 2015
Visit site
Hi everyone, my first post.

I've recently purchased two sets of classic wharfedale speakers:

Melton 30watt
Linton 3xp 30watt

The amp I'm using is a Cambridge A5 60watt, and a rega rp1 turntable

Would it be possible to use a speaker selector box to plug both sets of speakers in? I don't understand much about the technicalities when it comes to matching speakers with amps etc... So please forgive my naïvety ;)

The reason I wish to do this is mainly for more volume (not sure if this would just split the overall volume between the two sets..?) Or, would in be better off getting perhaps a 100watt power amp and continue using just one set of speakers?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Dave

daveblue222

May 14, 2015
Visit site
Is this because the audio would be shared between the two sets?

Perhaps a more powerful amp would give me more volume, however I wouldn't want to damage my equipment. I've read that it is common practice to use an amp that has twice the power rating of the speakers being used. Which is exactly what I'm using right now...

Any suggestions?

SteveR750

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
David, see the other thread on multiple speakers - ignoring the loudness question for a moment, multiple speakers without careful placement and setup are likely to result in the audio equivalent of a dog's breakfast.

How loud a system sounds is a function of the power of the amp and the efficiency of the speaker. While it is not always true, high quality speakers often sacrifice efficiency for accuracy, so the better the speaker the more driving it needs for the same perceived level of output.

Putting two speakers in parallel will lower the impedence seen by the amp, and for various technical reasons could make the system louder. This depends on the capabilities of the amp, and is generally not a great idea.

Overall, more efficient speakers or replacing both speakers and amp is probably the way to go if decent audio quality is your aim.

LDTM

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
Wiring up two sets of speakers to the same inputs significantly increases the risk of overcooking things, I would steer clear of that were I you. If you're after a bit more volume, I would be inclined to look at a set of larger, more sensitive speakers. The power of your amplifier does play a role of course but perhaps less than you may initially expect.

Case in point, I have an Onkyo M-5000 power amp which is rated at 80 watts into 8 ohms; doesn't sound like much does it? If I plug in my small pair of Dali Lektors (rated at 84dB sensitivity) and dial up the volume until the power gauges read 10 watts, that's a decent but still comfortable volume. Now, reconnect my main speakers (rated at 89dB sensitivity) and push 10 watts through them and that is positively ear-splitting - for me at least.

Even so, there are plenty of loudspeakers out there that are more efficient than mine, particularly so the ones sporting horns (like Klipsch, JBL, or Tannoy's prestige lines). But to reinforce the point (a nice way of saying 'I'm repeating myself and I know it'), a single set of more efficient speakers is probably one of the more simple alternatives to achieve your desired volume.

Cheers.

TRENDING THREADS