(14 Years Old) Please Help Guys With My Set Up,£400 To Play With....

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

Im 14 Years old and i brought a onkyo CS-315 Hi-Fi System last Christmas.
emotion-7.gif

I recently wanted to update and change it to a louder and nicer Hi-Fi, But Dont Really know where to look or what to look for.

I Would like to have a 4 speaker set up for my room And would like to be able to keep the Part where it play's the cd's and radio (cant think what its called
emotion-7.gif
)

But the main trouble is that it only has 2 speaker out-puts on the rear (2 black, 2 red cable outputs) is there anyway of being able to add another 2 speakers easly because im not sure what sort of thing i would need to buy to do this? (possable spilting the cables? but would the sound/ volume deteriate?)

Also i would have possably £400 to play with, but i mainly want to know how to have a 4 speaker set up and to boost the Wattage output after doing so? (amp?)

Manny Thanks Guys
emotion-21.gif
(Try to keep it simple
emotion-5.gif
)

A

Anonymous

Hi Rexon

If you went to somewhere like Richer Sound they could kit you out with some nice stuff for £400 which is a pretty good budget to be starting off with.

You'd get an amp and CD player and some speakers for that.

Don't understand what you want 4 speakers for, and no you can't just wire 2 more speakers on to the outputs of your system. If you do this you might drop the impedance to too low a level and this might blow the amp or you just might not wave enough power to drive the speakers at all.

For Stereo you only need 2 (they might have more than one actual loudspeaker in each box but there is a bit of electronics in the box called a crossover which takes care of driving them all)

If you plan to add a TV and DVD or Blu Ray later on then you might prefer to have 5.1 sound. This basically has 5 loudspeakers and a sub woofer for the deep base notes. This might be a bit much for a bedroom if that's your planned location.

If it's mostly music you want to listen too then I'd go for a HiFi stereo set up. Maybe look for an amp that has the capability to take an ipod dock and put some headphones on your Chistmas list. Also get a nice CD player to go with it. With this type of set up you can easily add a DAB/FM radio tuner later and even a turntable if you get into vinyl. This means it's pretty flexible place to start. I doubt at your price point you'd get an amp with 2 sets of speaker connections (4 speakers) but you might be lucky. The purpose of the second set of connections is usually to allow a second set of speaker in another room BTW.

The system you have now is a pretty good one you know.

A

Anonymous

Teac Reference 300 system from Vickers Hifi - £329. Or £350 with speakers. Speakers aren't brilliant so I'd try and spend the extra £71 on other ones and decentish cable.

http://www.vickers-hifi.co.uk/retail/REF300.html

Or the all in one home cinema style system:

http://www.vickershifi.co.uk/retail/DRH300DAB.html

Just got the Reference 300 separates linked to Bose 301s and the sound is excellent.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
rexon64:
Hi,

Im 14 Years old and i brought a onkyo CS-315 Hi-Fi System last Christmas.
emotion-7.gif

I recently wanted to update and change it to a louder and nicer Hi-Fi, But Dont Really know where to look or what to look for.

I Would like to have a 4 speaker set up for my room And would like to be able to keep the Part where it play's the cd's and radio (cant think what its called
emotion-7.gif
)

But the main trouble is that it only has 2 speaker out-puts on the rear (2 black, 2 red cable outputs) is there anyway of being able to add another 2 speakers easly because im not sure what sort of thing i would need to buy to do this? (possable spilting the cables? but would the sound/ volume deteriate?)

Also i would have possably £400 to play with, but i mainly want to know how to have a 4 speaker set up and to boost the Wattage output after doing so? (amp?)

Manny Thanks Guys
emotion-21.gif
(Try to keep it simple
emotion-5.gif
)

http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=DENO-DRA700
http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/2842

This would leave you with £80 for a cd player - ebay would be a good plan for that price range.

A

Anonymous

What I would try and do instead of going for the 4 speaker thing (which with only with one speaker set of outputs is going to be a big pain and will cause the amp to melt pretty quickly!) is go for some decent floorstanding speakers which are easy to drive and so will be able to be powered by that system. The Acoustic Energy (AE) Aegis Neo 3s are very easy to drive and very sensative and they will sound very loud on that system...also try the Tannoy Mercury F4 Custom speakers which are also sensative and easy to drive.

What size room do you have?

A

Anonymous

Quick update for you

Richer Sounds have the following on offer at the moment:

Hi Fi System 4

Cambridge Audio 540A v2 amp (with 4 speaker outputs)

Cambridge audio 540C Cd player

2 Cambridge Audio S30 speakers

All for £399.95 complete.

Tip - join their VIP club and they might give you more money off this price.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
To follow what others have said. Hi-Fi is a pair of speakers....No more, no less.

If you want more volume, you'll need a more powerful amp and speakers with greater sensitivity.

A

Anonymous

Rexon,

By happy coincidence over the last month I have built up a hifi system I am VERY happy with for around 400 quid. Here's how/what I did:

Firstly, RicherSounds are your friend. I swear by these guys, not just because of their prices, but for 2 main reasons:

1) The 5 year supercare warranty is a brilliant deal and gives great peace of mind.

2) If you have some equipment, and want to upgrade it, they'll let you at no charge (except the price difference). When I went from my Cambridge A1 to A5 amps, they didnt even check to see if I'd damaged the first one before upgrading!

Right, my set up:

Amp: Cambridge A5 - I started with an A1, and soon decided I wanted more power so got the slightly larger A5. Its dead simple, has a very nice clean look (black brushed aluminium), and the action on the volume control is VERY smooth, which I find always encourages me to turn it up... Bass and treble controls are there, plus a bypass which I find handy now and again, left and right channel balancing, and 5 two-channel inputs. 120 quid

Speakers; TDL Saturn/Studio 10's - AMAZING speakers for the price, I paid 150 for them, but they've now dropped to 100. Solid bass, good mid range and high end, and in my opinion are some of the best looking floorstanders for under a grand (except maybe the Q Acoustics ones). The pairing to the Cambridge amp seems brilliant. 100 quid.

Subwoofer: Gale 4070 - maybe not the best subwoofer for around this price range, but I liked the look of it, and kicks out more than enough bass. The only part I'm tempted to upgrade, but its definitly more than good enough for listening to music (and I listen to a lot of electro, drum and bass and dubstep, where a full bass sound is very important). A subwoofer might seem excessive or only really for movies, but you get a much more rounded sound and once you've had one you wont want to be without one. Even for rock, I'm currently listening to Fleetwood Mac and the bassline to The Chain cant be beaten with a subwoofer in your installation. 80 quid

Cables: Gale Symphony 400's - a lot of people ignore the cost of cables when pricing up their system, or go for rubbish ones. I went for the 400 over the 200 as it was thicker, and in general that means better bass quality. I've also gone for 5m length, dont really need it, but it means I can move speakers around without fear of ripping my amp around. In addition a subwoofer will require a dedicated cable. 20 quid for 2 5m gale 400's, plus 10 for the sub cable - 30 quid

Total: 330 quid

Amazing setup, with the exception of maybe a more powerful sub i'm not planning on changing it any time soon. Hope this helps.

Russ

A

Anonymous

I have no idea how much £400 quid would have been, back when I was 14 years old.

What ever it was, I know it would have been an absolute fortune, and if I HAD it to spend on Hi-Fi, the smile on my face would have illuminated the whole street.

So, whatever you buy. Sit back - enjoy and appreciate!

;-)

Serenity

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Serenity:
I have no idea how much £400 quid would have been, back when I was 14 years old.

What ever it was, I know it would have been an absolute fortune, and if I HAD it to spend on Hi-Fi, the smile on my face would have illuminated the whole street.

So, whatever you buy. Sit back - enjoy and appreciate!

;-)

Serenity

I agree but you obviously haven't spoken with 15 year old Hughes123 - now that is a set up for a teenager!!

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
With £400, personally, i'd take a look at eBay and maybe consider an Arcam Alpha 7 or 8 integrated amp, an Arcam 7SE CD player and some B&W 601 S2/S3 speakers, or if you can find them at a good price, the B&W 602 S2/S3 speakers.

The above will be a great sound system to begin with, especially in a bedroom. The speakers are very good and will provide great sound.

I also feel that the NAD C320BEE integrated amplifer would be a good investment. Cracking amp :)

A

Anonymous

Hi, had a look at what you said and i can say that the teac systems look great! But i have already got my onkyo 315 cd reciever and would like to keep that and use it instead of buying a new one, the thing is that it only has 2 speaker outputs on the rear ( 2 black, 2 red).

Is there anyway of being able to add another 2 sets of speakers? like splitting the cables or somthing...but would that result in loss off sound? in which case what other ways are there of adding 2 more speakers? do amps do that? any ideas..

Manny thanks! shaun

A

Anonymous

2 good speakers are better than 4 my Padawan. Don't confuse bi wiring or bi amping with 'more is better'. Anyway, save some cash for a decent pair of 'phones cause if you were my son I'd have something to say about it.

( You know, I never thought I'd ever say those words)

A

Anonymous

Sorry guy's dont bother awnsering the last comment i didnt see the other posts lol.
manny thanks

A

Anonymous

welshboy:
Quick update for you

Richer Sounds have the following on offer at the moment:

Hi Fi System 4

Cambridge Audio 540A v2 amp (with 4 speaker outputs)

Cambridge audio 540C Cd player

2 Cambridge Audio S30 speakers

All for £399.95 complete.

Tip - join their VIP club and they might give you more money off this price.

Saw a similer Richer ad in our local paper, 540a/540c both for £250....only in silver though.

pekers678

May 24, 2008
Visit site
Good to see someone else of my age who also knows what high-fidelity really means :D. Stick to 2 channel.

I own the TEAC 300Reference mkiii and it is awesome for the price. Got it paired with B&W 686 and Pro-ject Debut III.

If you want more for your money on a tight budget, have a look at www.greenhomeshop.co.uk.
They sell all sorts of used hi-fi, and at the moment they have a stunning pair of Mission Model 70s for £40.00 - absolute classics (and really easy to drive so good for your system). Also got some old Eltax floorstanders for a bit more, so worth having a browse... (and even if you don't see anything you like they update their stock fairly regularly so it's always worth checking back).

A

Anonymous

Well Thanks to everyone who has tried to help me out!

I think i found what i will be buying and i will update you all when i buy!

Manny Thanks Again Guys!

Regards

A

Anonymous

rexon64, do you have some ID?

(Guys I have reason to believe rexon64 is not who he seems, check me responses to his other posts for details)

ÿ

(rexon64 if you are who you seem many apologies, I would just like to know why you ran a mile when I mentioned the word fraudulent in your other threads?)ÿ

A

Anonymous

Octopo:

(Guys I have reason to believe rexon64 is not who he seems, check me responses to his other posts for details)

(rexon64 if you are who you seem many apologies, I would just like to know why you ran a mile when I mentioned the word fraudulent in your other threads?)

Octopo, don't leave him alone til he's given you his dinner money !!

A

Anonymous

emotion-15.gif
Lol no im only 14 i wouldnt have aclue how to fraud people!

I was only tring to find out about a hi-fi set up and on my previouse thread about the cheap website i was sent by a close friend in which i told my dad and he sed it sounds dodgy! so i sed i will ask the guys on what hi fi...

any ways thanks for the broadcast..

A

Anonymous

rexon64:
emotion-15.gif
Lol no im only 14 i wouldnt have aclue how to fraud people!

I was only tring to find out about a hi-fi set up and on my previouse thread about the cheap website i was sent by a close friend in which i told my dad and he sed it sounds dodgy! so i sed i will ask the guys on what hi fi...

any ways thanks for the broadcast..

You just seemed very suspicious and if you had answered any of my questions regarding the site in question I would have stopped. Tell your Dad never ever ever to use that site as it is run by a load of hooligans. To everyone else the site is looksmartpro.com.

They require you to make a payment viaÿa Western Union money transfer, and then they don't send the product out. They can literally walk in a Western Union office, collect the money and walk out, therefore being untraceable. Last nightÿI thought you were phishing on the forums as I'm sure it's a method a (company) such as looksmartpro would use.

All Hail! It seems Rexon is who he says he is! This is a much better outcome, just remember to be careful you only post safe links on the site!!!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Octopo:

(rexon64 if you are who you seem many apologies, I would just like to know why you ran a mile when I mentioned the word fraudulent in your other threads?)

Octopo please stop attacking other members and trying to act as an ad hoc moderator, or a ban will be forthcoming

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts