11 of the best British stereo amplifiers of all time

Mr. C Nation

Mar 21, 2020
Visit site
I see you started in 1979, presumably the launch of the paper magazine. The Quad 405 was on sale during this period, up to 1982. It - and it's Mk2 version, are still regarded as amplifiers of the highest quality, so much so that they were power amps of choice for many small recording studios

The recording engineer/producer of a selection of albums by Mike Oldfield, inc T.Bells, is a friend of mine. When he built his mobile recording unit 'The Sound Box', a Quad 405 powered each channel of the monitors.

This quality of recordings of this mobile was sufficient for the London radio station LBC to engage it to record the classical music strand of LBC's output. The Quads, powering Tannoy 'Little Red Monitors', were of broadcast monitoring quality.

405's are still much sought after. They have become legends of the power amp world.

Navanski

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
As someone who has a preference for a decent sized, central, volume control as demonstrated on many an Arcam or Rotel amp, aesthetically some of these amps leave a lot to be desired. Ugly or what?

Mar 22, 2023
Visit site
I see you started in 1979, presumably the launch of the paper magazine. The Quad 405 was on sale during this period, up to 1982. It - and it's Mk2 version, are still regarded as amplifiers of the highest quality, so much so that they were power amps of choice for many small recording studios

The recording engineer/producer of a selection of albums by Mike Oldfield, inc T.Bells, is a friend of mine. When he built his mobile recording unit 'The Sound Box', a Quad 405 powered each channel of the monitors.

This quality of recordings of this mobile was sufficient for the London radio station LBC to engage it to record the classical music strand of LBC's output. The Quads, powering Tannoy 'Little Red Monitors', were of broadcast monitoring quality.

405's are still much sought after. They have become legends of the power amp world.
The 405 was a dreadful amp, the mk2 was barely any better. Mentioning LBCs use of it is hardly an endorsement, just an example of mediocrity attracting mediocrity.

TheLastMan

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
In 1986 bought the Audiolab 8000A after all the stellar reviews and a brief audition. Took it back after two weeks as it was horribly "dry" and sterile sounding. The audio equivalent of eating Weetabix without milk or sugar. Although less dynamic, my existing Rotel RA820 was a much more enjoyable listen. Went to a different dealer and did much more extensive listening test with my own Rega RP3, B&W DM110 speakers and the Rotel. Tried a new Cyrus Two which seemed OK, but I was not blown away - bass seemed very boomy. The dealer then pulled out a second hand "vintage" chrome bumper Naim NAC42 / NAP110 pre-power amp which he would sell me at the same price as the Cyrus Two. It was light years ahead of any other amp I had heard. Bass was tight and tuneful, voices clear and instruments sounded real. The Naim did blow me away! Bought on the spot and never looked back. In 1992 bought the NAC72 as I needed more inputs. In 2021 replaced the NAP110 with a second hand NAP140 as it cost the same as getting the 110 serviced by Naim. Still more than holding its own in the digital age with streamer, DAC and CD transport, as well as the Linn LP12 which it was originally designed to go with.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS