1080i Pioneer or 1080p Samsung?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Dear all

I am in the process of upgrading my a/v setup. I'm starting with the screen and am currently a little torn. Your expertise would be appreciated.

I like to the look of the Samsung LE46F86BDX. It is 46 inch, a good size for my living room, comes with full HD had has been extensively well reviewed.

Then there is the Pioneer PDP 508XD. 42 inch, but that's fine too, seems to have had rave reviews everywhere but only comes in 1080i flavour.

I know I should audition both, and I will, but my question is: should the lack of full HD on the Pioneer put me off in any way? I'll be partnering it to a Blu-Ray player (probably a PS3), and expect to download HD content. We may also take the Sky HD service, but since this isn't in full HD I don't see that as a factor.

I don't expect to replace this panel for five years (the current one was acquired seven years ago), so will upgrading to 1080i only be a decision I may come to regret?

A

Anonymous

Adam what do you mean when you refer to the Pioneer 428XD or 508XD sets as being 1080i. The 428XD has a 1024 x 768 native resolution and the 508XD has a 1365 x 768 native resolution, so the native resolution of both sets is basically 720p, so shouldn't you refer to the sets as 720p rather than 1080i? You might say that you refer to the screens as being 1080i because of the fact that, even though they only have a 720p native resolution, they will accept 1080i. But they accept 1080p aswell so again 1080i doesn't seem relevant. So why do you call these sets 1080i sets?

matthewpiano

Long and short of it is that 1080p is not that important. The Pioneer sets are superior in terms of picture quality irrespective of the label so, IMO, the choice isn't a difficult one. I defy anyone to feel short changed by a properly set up, high quality 720p/1080i set. The Pioneers are superb.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts