1080 or 720 dilemma

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am looking to by a new TV in the next month or so and have a budget of £1500 and looking for a screen 40" to 50", but I'm stuck on which to buy Samsung 1080p 40"/46" LCD's or Samsung 50" 720p Plasma.

I have a Denon 2910 DVD player and PS3 and standard SKY and mostly be watching Films on DVD.

Please can you advise me on which would be best or an alternative?

A

Anonymous

Hello spud concerning your purchasing decision,within last few weeks have had a sammy 46" from dixons for £1421 ,wich had a slight problem in that it would not power up cleanly had to power up up to 7 times from standbye to get dtv to be seen,got replaced after cajolling dixons but their delivery is excellent.Sammy had not heard of this so maybe one off?

Now as to my decision to buy after reviews giveing it excellent results (Cnet and What Hi Fi)here and america(slightly different spec)especially for its good deep blacks and good 1080p and freeview and after being wowed bye its looks in showroom,plus it has really good connections and that all important 1080p,so future proofing(saying that a new model 81-in america-is coming out in july that quotes contrast of 50,000 and other improvements so might be worth waiting for).

After 3 weeks use their picture is lovely via freeview when given good program quality,I have a Panasonic drez25 wich upscales to 1080i via hdmi but to be honest cannot see any improvement over freeview plus some channels 4X3 sammy will not 16X9 on hdmi nor does pany help.Remote a bit rubbish to hold and buttons uyky.And its out of box settings are terrible took over 1 hour to get good results.Overall I am very happy with purchase ,as plasma is that the one that got rave review in WHF well if you have ps3 go for above as compound handels hdmi so you got full 1080p player plus games, but if you want good value plus bigger screen try plasma,

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
I recently had the same dilema as to which screen to go for as my old Panasonic series 5 42"" just wasn't cutting the mustard anymore. I ended up going for the award winning Samsung PS-50Q97HDX Plasma which I got from Crampton and Moore for a bargain £1200 including extended warranty. Now this screen is not a 1080p screen but in my oppionion when I auditioned this screen alongside Samsungs 46"" and 52"" 1080p M series lcd's it put them in the shade in terms of both colour reproduction and the black levels on offer are sublime. I have a Pioneer 757Ai dvd player running via component and the image is breathtaking at this price! And HD-DVD via my XBOX 360 looks even better.

Take it form me dont get too messed by this whole 1080p being better than 720p as the spec of a screen does not allways mean a better image on screen and if like me you mainly watch movies via dvd and mostly in the evenings this Samsung Plasma RULES!!!!!!!

A

Anonymous

Have you been able to notice any difference between 1080i and 1080p coz i'm just about to splash the cash but b4 i do just wanted to be sure.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
I auditioned my 50""Samsung alongside the Panasonic 50"" 1080p both running hd-dvd and yes there was a slight differnce between the 1080i on the Samsung and the full hd 1080p on the Panasonic but not enough in my oppionion to warrant the huge price differnce as I got my Samsung for £1200 and the best I could get the 1080p Panasonic for was £2600, a whopping differnce of £1400!!!

I found simular results with the Samsung against full hd lcd sets but none of these lcd's could get close to the Samsung for black levels which are esentual when viewing movies nor motion tracking.

A

Anonymous

cheers m8 was really getting hung up on the whole 1080p thing and have now seen the plasma in the showroom and getting one in the next couple of weeks just to good to miss out on!!

A

Anonymous

In the end went for the Samsung 46" M87. Looks great hanging on the wall got a rely good price from a local supplier
Smythe & Barrie, It did need alot of tweeking to get the picture looking at its best, but I am realy happy with it.

TRENDING THREADS