10 of the best 1970s albums to test your speakers

doctorrazz

Apr 24, 2020
Visit site
I concur with the majority of your choices, but most of us have evolved beyond the limitations of Vinyl. Newly recorded and remastered copies of those classics sound great, a good comparison can be found on Tidal HiFi and Quboz streaming platforms. I am a fan of the MQA copies this will make the Analogue fans flip a disc. Give Miles Davis Tutu in MQA some ear.

soswishy

Apr 24, 2020
Visit site
Vinyl or CD is a question of personal preference, nothing at all to do with "evolution". Indeed many hifi enthusiasts run both. It was a particularly odd comment to make since the article doesn't even recommend a format on which to listen to these albums (and even includes Spotify playlists!).

Mr. C Nation

Mar 21, 2020
Visit site
Friesiansam is perfectly correct. The only way to know if a system of new component is better or worse than what went before is to know what went before intimately.

That is why, at the most basic, recording studios run a test tone of just one frequency through the system to balance everything up.

In the words of Captain Beefheart on Trout Mask Replica "The following tone is a reference tone, recorded at our operating level... "

I have been fortunate enough to have been at the recording of an album, at the stereo mix-down, the mastering for vinyl, the re-mastering for CD and own 12" and CD versions. That is my reference.

The articles says 10 of the best....not the best 10...there are no doubt 100s of albums that can give your speakers a good work out...does not matter if it is CD, steamed or vinyl....does not matter if it is remastered....just sit back and enjoy...try some of the recommendations (I know some are not in my collection) and love music.....

Darwinia

Mar 20, 2020
Visit site
I concur with the majority of your choices, but most of us have evolved beyond the limitations of Vinyl. Newly recorded and remastered copies of those classics sound great, a good comparison can be found on Tidal HiFi and Quboz streaming platforms. I am a fan of the MQA copies this will make the Analogue fans flip a disc. Give Miles Davis Tutu in MQA some ear.

The article says nothing about vinyl and even has screenshots of the albums from a streaming service.

abricru

Nov 8, 2021
Visit site
I was a little surprised that Rumours - Fleetwood Mac didn't make the list.

Dreamboat Annie by Heart was one I liked to try out speakers with.

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
of all the albums refered only don´t have the Carole king "Tapestry" i would sugest instead of this "the crime of the century " by Supertramp or "Before we were so rudly interrupted" by Eric Burdon and the Animals, not sure but i think it´s like it was released, two perfect sounding Lp´s with great songs . I think i should refer to the Black sabbath album "vol.4" it was well produced and sounds really good compared to the early black sabbath albums , if it wasn´t for this album i would never had listened to other great lp´s from this band ,but this one seems to me to have also great songs, i remenber playing it and thinking that it had a quality never heard before in black sabbath already existing LP´s

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
The articles says 10 of the best....not the best 10...there are no doubt 100s of albums that can give your speakers a good work out...does not matter if it is CD, steamed or vinyl....does not matter if it is remastered....just sit back and enjoy...try some of the recommendations (I know some are not in my collection) and love music.....
i don´t think that it is the same, as the cd versions of this 70´s albums sound very bad ,horrible (more acurate)

maybe the ones who never listened to the original lp´s with a aceptable quality turntable would never undestand why i say the cds sound close to horrible as they are a perverted version of the original perfect sound of their original releases,

i notice that turntables considered good in the last 10 years have a sound far from a average turntable from the 70´s with it´s original cartridge and stylus.

I only recentelly found a Rega that interested me for the first time as i assembled a new system so the P10 was my choice , the SL-1000R (Technics)new version is extremely expensive and i already have the 79 version(much better) of it that is a very good turntable amongst others from the 70´s

i say this because a lot of people in the 70´s would bought a turntable from pioneer and the first thing they would do is changing the cartridge to a Shure one that if from a reference up were better but the cheaper models were a decrease of quality on the cartridge that came with the turntable from Pioneer, as it happened with technics good cartridges,

as an example the M75B from shure or similar to it , as you refer streaming services they do sound good but if one owns a good cd player with a good dac internal or not will sound superior to the streaming services available,

a funny remark , people today don´t use tone controls but if they are there is because they needed them ,as the Loudness to listen to music at low levels ,mainly at night,

what changes do are noticeable in this refered streaming services in the last 8 years, most of all the equalization,
"but i never put the equalizer on in the services refered, bla bla bla,..."

they do are equalized or they wouldn´t sound so good. Equalizers? today is like "Vade Retro Santanas" but if we were in the 70´s , " ... don´t have a equalizer , you´re not an audiophile,...." than in the 80´s more close to late years , Direct sound ,like if everybody who listens to music as the same quality systems as are installed in the best recording studios,

and no cd comes close to the recording done in studio no matter if digital or analog recording , but normally if one owns a good system with a good cd player and a good turntable , one notices the extra quality of the vinyl record ,one if playing a cd after hearing a record(vinyl) the cd will sound low-fi,

if this doesn´t happen ,no matter what you´ve paid for your turntable it´s quality doesn´t come near a 80´s or 70´s average turntable.

They do are not like they use to make them, as the cartridges also, and the stylus with 1/3 of the listening hours and when new they look they were played for 20 years , already having destroyd all album´s played.

I only use Tidal and Spotify, the others i do not know their sound quality but already heard several times people refering to Tidal as the most quality in sound streaming service, that i have to agree

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts