1 CD output to 2 separate Amps?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I recently bought a Graham Slee solo headphone amp and Musical Fidelity PSU to get the best from my new AKG Q701 Headphones. My problem is my Marantz CD6004 only has 1 output but I still want it linked to my PM6004 amp for my MA RX1 speakers. I have 2 pairs of Crimson Plus interconnects but cannot find a decent splitter or switch anywhere. AudioQuest adapters were a complete disaster, sounding truly horrendous. Can you suggest a sub £100 solution that will provide similar quality to my Crimson Plus cables? It's incredibly awkward to get to the rear of my units and would really appreciate some help here. Thank you!

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
You can buy simple Y-splitters from Maplins or eBay for about two quid each, or not much more. Obviously you'd need two, one for each channel. I can't promise that sending the output from your CDP two directions at once through Y-splitters will be accoustically transparent, but then again neither will any other option, such as a mixer.

EDIT: just thinking, surely the PM6004 has a 'tape out' that you could plug your headphone-amp into?

fatman

Nov 11, 2007
Visit site
Yes, there are analogue outputs on your Marantz amp that you can hook up to the headphone amp with existing interconnects.

Alternatively, look into an external DAC so you can use the digital outputs from the CD player onto either amp.

How are you finding the Graham Slee with the Q701?

fatman

Nov 11, 2007
Visit site
How recent are your Graham Slee and PSU purchases?

Too late to swap for a DAC with integrated headphone amp. I have not heard Audiolab M-DAC but it is highly rated.

Your dedicated headphone amp is arguably better for the job that it does, but you may find synergy between the M-DAC and the Q701 is different/better. Just speculating.

Please comment on your Slee/Q701 findings. (I have a pair of Q701 too)

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm absolutely loving the slee/Q701 combo. The Headphone out on the Marantz is actually very good but the Solo takes it to another level. I should have said it's the ultra linear I have, it was an eBay purchase coupled with the Musical Fidelity PSU. I'm definitely keeping hold of them, it would break my heart to see them go! I was very sceptical about the difference the upgraded power supply would make compared to the Graham Slee PSU1 but it was noticeably better sound quality, a more open and expansive sound stage and less "hum" in the background.

A separate dac is out of the question due to cost. As I already have the 2 crimson plus interconnects my preferred solution would be a small but good quality splitter cable but its proving difficult to find one. If anyone has experience of using these it would be great to hear. Surely I'm not the only person wishing to have their speakers and a separate headphone amp connected to a single source!

Thanks in advance,

John.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I thought we'd already given you a solution for that...plug your headphone amp into your PM6004's tape-out sockets, or use Y-splitters from your CD player. I'm not sure what other solution you're wanting someone to give you.

datay

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
I will repeat it too - feed the tape outs from the Marantz amp into your headphone amp. Read the manual if you don't understand what we are talking about.

That way, you can also listen to as many sources as the Marantz has plugged into it (sounds like just CD here but could be tuner etc.). Win all round.

A

Anonymous

Tape outputs!! So simple I missed it. Thanks again guys.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
johnbhoy67 said:
Tape outputs!! So simple I missed it. Thanks again guys.

I did also email you that solution around four hours ago in response to your email to our Sound Advice address.
smiley-wink.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts