£600 music system (CA Minx xi & MA Bronze 2?) that will be ok in stereo for TV

doifeellucky

Hi

First post, so thanks for any replies.

I've previously owned separates, 25 years ago, but currently have an Orbitsound M9 for my Panasonic plasma.

I want to get a half decent hi-fi solution that will work fairly well to replace the M9. Space/girlfriend means proper 5.1 is out of the question, so I'm looking primarily at a one box solution like the CA Minx xi with QA 3020's or MA Bronze 2's, or the Marantz 610 or the Denon RCD-N9 as I have quite a few CD's.

Would Concept 20's work with these or something else.

Music is my main concern, primary source being Spotify and CD's, but I'd like something that will give a reasonable AV experience comparable to the M9 which is fine but not great.

I'd thought about Sonos playbar or Yamaha 2500 sound bar, or QA Media 4, but music is priority.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Loz

splasher

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
The Marantz MCR611 is an impressive bit of kit and available with the Bronze 2 or QA 3020 speakers for less than £600. I think if playing CDs is a must (rather than ripping and streaming your CDs) then this would be my pick of what you mention. The Minx XI is impressive but doesn't include a CD player.

If, on the other hand, you are prepared to do without the CD transport and rip your CDs to FALC files or similar, then you could also consider one of the compact Marantz AV receivers like the NR1506 or 1606. These can stream your ripped CDs over DLNA, include Spotify Connect and internet radio which can all be played in stereo. But the big advantage is that they can decode all of the surround sound codecs and allow you to drive a centre dialogue speaker for your films in a 3.0 configuration.

I have the luxury of being able to have a hifi in one room and a 5.1 system with the TV in another. My opinion, for what it's worth, is that if I could only have one or the other I'd have the 5.1 receiver. It loses very little to the hifi in terms of music but kicks it out of the park for movies/TV.

doifeellucky

The size of those Marantz AV amps definitely makes them something to consider. It a shame you can't get wireless surrounds to go with a normal amp, as opposed to something like the Fidelio B5, so they can be brought out as is required, or maybe you can.

doifeellucky

Hi

Can anyone recommend speaker to go with the 1606? I'm thinking music first, that could then be added to later to make a 5.1 system, though I have limited space for surrounds.

Does something like the 7000i work with music?

Thanks

splasher

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I'd say not. I'd start with a pair of 3020s if you fancy Q Accoustics. Next, if/when funds permit, add the 3090 centre for a 3.0 setup. Next add the 3 series subwoofer for 3.1 and finally the rears for the full 5.1.

Using the 7000s series for the rears, if you have to because space demands, is fine because you won't use them for music, but you want proper speakers up front in my opinion. Don't forget to re-run Audessey each time you add a speaker.

doifeellucky

I only mentioned the QA based on space issues so any other recommendations would be great.

Speakers would sit next to TV on wooden sideboard, existing sub to one side. Not really space for stands at the front, centre would either be in front of tv or on the floor. Rears would need to be QA7000 or MA Mass type of size due to sofa being against the back wall. Only 20cm space either end of sofa. Really not ideal.

splasher

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
The QA 3020, or even better concept 20s, are as good as anything else at the price but we each have different taste so if you want to consider a broad choice of brands you really need to audition them to see which you prefer. My point is to make sure you get proper speakers and not satellites for the front if you want to play music.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
doifeellucky said:
I only mentioned the QA based on space issues so any other recommendations would be great.

Speakers would sit next to TV on wooden sideboard, existing sub to one side. Not really space for stands at the front, centre would either be in front of tv or on the floor. Rears would need to be QA7000 or MA Mass type of size due to sofa being against the back wall. Only 20cm space either end of sofa. Really not ideal.

An option here could be the Monitor Audio Bronze range. Have you seen their Bronze FX speakers? They're very effective surround di-pole/bi-pole speakers designed to be wall-mounted and sit very flush to the wall compared with conventional standmount speakers. They're also available in white if that looks more invisible with your colour scheme.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts