£600-£1000 Budget, 2 Speakers, Amp & CD Player

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
First of I have pretty much no knowledge in this area so please excuse my ignorance.

I realise it's best to "hear" before you buy, but could you recommend 2 Bookshelf Speakers, Amp and CD Player all for a budget around £600-£1000.

Also is there such an Amp that could power a total of 4 Bookshelf speakers? As what we hope to do is connect 2 waterproof speakers for the garden to in the indoor system.

Thanks.

Tonestar1

Hi,

A bit of a no brainer IMO. I'd go for Marantz PM6002, CD6002 and B&W 685s.

My friend has this set up, looks nice and it sounds fantastic. Ask your dealer about system deals as the may knock a bit of or throw in some cables/stands if you but everything from one place.

You'll still have change towards some stands if you shop around.

The Marantz (as do most amps) have an A and B speaker selection button you can use to play your outdoor speakers in the "summer"

ps Make sure you listen to any proposed system first as it's all subjective and you may not like the sound.

Hope this helps

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the quick supply.

Is this Amp powerful enough to supply 4 speakers all at once?

A

Anonymous

I wouldnt of thought it will do it much good at loud volums but at gentil / background levels soud be ok , I would check owners ref book first .

matthewpiano

First of all, what music do you listen to, and do you know what sort of sound you like? Do you like a very bright sound or a warmer sound?

Secondly, I'd avoid just jumping on the Marantz/B&W band wagon without giving serious consideration to other possibilities. If Marantz/B&W then turns out to be right for you, then that is brilliant.

I'd strongly recommend trying a NAD based system. The C355 is a superb amplifier and would make an excellent combination with the C542 CD player. I'd audition several speakers with these but would certainly suggest including the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s. They might have a cheap asking price but they punch WELL above their weight and repesent exceptional value for money. They are so good that I am actually taking delivery of a pair myself tomorrow.

A

Anonymous

Are there any speakers on a smaller scale?

I was hoping to mount them to the wall and think the B&W would stick out a fair way?
emotion-1.gif

T

the record spot

Check out the used market for some great offers (used Musical Fidelity 3.5 at £350 would whup the - albeit very good - Marantz for instance); they'll often throw in a warranty and at the very least, you can try out at home on approval. Definately worth checking out. The BADA Marketplace is another one to consider too.

Lastly, see the deals on offer from the likes of Richer Sounds, Superfi and the independent dealers round the country.

To echo a previous poster, I'd have a good think about what your money could buy you, not necessarily Marantz/NAD/Arcam/B&W. No doubt they all make good products (see my system below) but I would always recommend the used market as your money goes futher (my last CD player being the excellent Linn Mimik; a snip at £250 a couple of years back).

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice, seems as those I've got a few options for the Amp & CD Player.

However, I need some smaller speakers for wall mounting.

Any ideas?

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Yep, they're about as small as you get without going all PMC DB1i...and blowing 3/4 of your budget on speakers.

Saying that, there are the AVI Neutron Vs, at somewhere around £4-500

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I'd say with that budget get yourself on eBay and get some quality 2nd hand items.

Take a look at an Arcam Alpha 9 integrated amp, the Arcam Alpha 8SE CDP (lor an Arcam DiVA CD72 CDP if you can find one for a sensible price) and for speakers look at B&W 602 S2's or S3's for your main speakers and B&W 601 S2's or S3's for the speakers you want to wall mount.

If your budget allows you could look at the B&W 685's for your main spekers.

I'd also advise to get some decent stands for your standmount speakers.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Big Chris:You can get a brand new Arcam DV135 on eBay for £300. CD & SACD and it'll play DVDs too!

I agree with Chris - the Arcam would be a match for the Marantz, look better and gives you more options. If you are not bothered about SACD or dvd, The Arcam CD192 for (£399 if you shop around) is great value. Try to source a second hand Creek Evo (£250-£300) and the B&W speakers and you will have a fantastic system for the money.

John Duncan

Or buy the superfi deal of DV135 and AVR280 for 680 quid, plus a pair of Usher S320s (I know WHF didn't like them, but I think they're fab), or stretch to the 400 quid AVI Neutron V (which I own) which are dinky and excellent wall-mounted.

The AVR280 specifically has a "Zone 2" for ataching another pair of speakers, and can be switched in separately.

Not conventional, but will at least mach the Marantz pair for music I'd say.........

A

Anonymous

Consider second hand stuff....I recently picked up a second hand arcam solo and monitor audio RS-1 speakers, all less than a year old, for about £750 inc. delivery. I'm very pleased with the system and it has the added bonus of a DAB and FM radio.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts