£400 budget for some audio

Olli1324

May 28, 2008
Visit site
I am looking to upgrade my computer's sound system, or, if it is deemed better value, buy a hi-fi system, for £400.

Speakers I have come across (note that my search is certainly not limited to these) are:
  • Creative Gigaworks S750
  • Wharfedale Diamond 9 series

My music is stored on my hard drive, but burning it to CD would not be an issue, if a system required me to.

I hope I am making myself understood; just ask if there are any queries.

A

Anonymous

Hi Olli, first of all grab yourself a DAC like the bereford (it was remarkable the difference it made to my PC based audio) for 100, then say a Cambridge 340A for 150 and a pair of Wharfedale DIAMOND 9.1's 150, thats 400 but stretch a little more for some cable and some stands and your sorted. In my opinion of course.

Olli1324

May 28, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the response!

What exactly is this DAC (Digital-to-Analogue Converter, my research informs me)? How would it be connected to my set-up?

John Duncan

It's a better quality version of what's already in your computer, which converts the digital signal to analogue sound. If you have a PC, your sound card needs a digital out (if it doesn't have one you can buy USB ones or replace the one that's there quite cheaply - 20 quid or so), which would bypass the DAC in your computer and feed the raw digital signal into the exernal unit via an optical or coax cable, which then connects to an amplifier just like a CD player or other source.

If it's a Mac, the digital out is in the headphone socket - you need a 'Toslink' cable.

In both cases, there are USB DACs available which are an alternative to the Beresford setup.

Olli1324

May 28, 2008
Visit site
That is some great information, John, thanks.

I cannot seem to find anywhere on the Internet that sells the Beresford - perhaps someone knows a site?

Olli1324

May 28, 2008
Visit site
Ah right, OK.

A couple more questions before I hit the sack:

Would it be wise to go for the option on the site you linked to with the cable?

And also, in the future, if I were to want to add a sub, how would I go about this? Would I need an active or a passive one? Etc. etc.

And finally, does the quality of my digital out (I found one on my integrated sound chip) affect the DAC in any way?

Thanks a lot for the help so far
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

You can opt for the cable bundle but personally I swear by gotham interconnects (you can get them on their ebay shop) , I know many others would agree

As for a sub, you really shouldn't need one, the speakers should cover the low frequencies, its rare to find someone who has added one to a music based system. Bass is over rated in my opinion, but if you do want to the pre-out from the amp can be used (I think).

It would be argued that its only ones and zeros from the digital out so it doesn't make a difference, personally I'm pleased with the sound I get out of my integrated one. Its the DAC which is doing the hard work.

Enjoy

Olli1324

May 28, 2008
Visit site
I was thinking about the sub because I do watch plenty of films on my computer, so I thought a sub would be nice. However, that is looking happily into the future when I have a lot more money!

I was thinking about whether it would be worth putting another £50 into the amp - would the difference be justifiable? Looking around on the Internet, I found the Marantz PM6002. This looks pretty cool, but I have no idea whether it performs better than the suggested Cambridge 340A. I note, Brisk, that you have the PM6002. Do you have an opinion on this matter?

John Duncan

[quote user="Olli1324"]
So would it be worth getting something like the Marantz PM6002 instead of the Cambridge Audio 340A?

*subtle bump*
[/quote]

I would buy the 6002 over the Cambridge, yes, but you're starting to run out of money here - as I said above, you may find that just the amp and speakers will give you a sufficient leap in quality without going for the DAC yet. You could get say the 6002 and Tannoy Mercury F1s and see how it sounds, then get the DAC after..........

Oh, and don't bother with the sub, I think it will be overkill.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JohnDuncan"]

I would buy the 6002 over the Cambridge[/quote]

Agreed, the 6002 is very nice (Loads better than the 340 IMO) but it can run speakers loads better than the Tannoy, which means room for future improvement. If you can afford the DAC I highly recommend it, but if not you will still see a significant improvement like JohnDuncan says. What you got suggested there is a good bases for a system that will allow you to make more significant improvements to in the future.

Olli1324

May 28, 2008
Visit site
Thank you all for your input; it has all be very helpful.

I will be looking at purchasing, on the advice given:
  • Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s
  • Marantz PM6002
  • Beresford TC-7510 DAC

I am looking forward to my first step on the hi-fi ladder!

Thanks again,

Olli

A

Anonymous

Sounds like a good choice... if you go to RicherSounds, make sure to just go in and buy something, don't listen to the sales pitch on the Cambridge Audio because they probably won't let you leave without one. Richersounds used to be really good at impartial advice, but more recently they seem hell bent on alienating their customers with the sort of advice one would expect in Currys or Comet. If you have anymore questions... including where to buy... don't hesitate to ask the people on this forum, we are all here to help you!

Olli1324

May 28, 2008
Visit site
The thing is, I probably won't be able to visit a shop... So ideally, I would need it shipped.

I spent the last half hour trying to find internet sites that sell the Marantz PM6002 for £220 or less, who will post me the amp. I am sending an e-mail to Richer Sounds and SoundHifi.com, to see if they will post them to me.

Any other suggestions/sites welcome..

Olli1324

May 28, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="JohnDuncan"][quote user="Olli1324"]So ideally, I would need it shipped[/quote]

Then you're in trouble - Marantz won't allow dealers to sell their products mail order. I'll get one for you if you like......[/quote]

You would? That would be wonderfully helpful :D I will contact you via these forums when I am ready to buy (hopefully 2-4 weeks, presuming I have my new bank account set-up by then).

A truly generous offer - thanks!

Olli1324

May 28, 2008
Visit site
I know my £400 budget has.... escalated just a little, but I will be getting a nice little bit of money over the next year, so I don't want to end up thinking that I should have bought a better system back then... A potentially vicious cycle, but this is my last question concerning the finalisation of my system.

Would it be worth, in your honest opinions, to upgrade the Wharfedale 9.1s for Monitor Audio BR2s? I have been doing a lot of reading, and these Monitor Audios seem to keep popping up with lovely comments concerning their abilities. Not to mention, they are offered in an awesome walnut finish!

So, is it worth it? Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s vs Monitor Audio BR2s.

A

Anonymous

Yea stick with the Diamonds, it is a fairly bright combo, took me a while to tame it. Just wait until you can afford something like the B&W 685's, when your ready to upgrade. Happy listening.

Olli1324

May 28, 2008
Visit site
Sorry for the bad question, but what exactly does "bright" mean. I have seen it around the forums, and it conjures thoughts of "tinniness". I presume it doesn't mean tinny speakers though!

TRENDING THREADS