A

Anderson

Awesome!

The post editor in this forum is the worst I've ever come across, how many OP's must we sacrifice before our benevolent admin steps in and saves us from this madness?

dangerouspartridge

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,

Sorry about my first ever post - doesn't bode well!

Well, here goes, 2nd time lucky!

I'm looking at upgrading my 15 year old - with a few upgrades throughout its lifetime - hifi system. I'm currently running a very old Marantz CD player, Cambridge Audio A1 amp and Kef IQ1's. I use my Sky Box for digital radio and I've got a Numark Direct drive turntable that I use from time to time. It's done me prode over the last 15 years but I think now is time for an upgrade.

I've got around £3000 to spend on a new system and I'm looking for advice from people in the know - you lot. I'm out of the hifi loop at present so all help is much appreciated.

What I've got in mind at present is the Roksan Kandy K2 pre and power amp (I can got both for £1220) and the CD player in that range. Looking to pair with the Tannoy DC6T SE or B&W 683 S2's.

I listen to a wide variety of music, anything from Nick Drake right through to Chemical Brothers so need smoething that can provide a good listening experience all round.

My room is 8x5 and has carpet covered floors.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
My advice is go and listen to a few syatems ie Roksan as you mentoned, Naim Nait 5si amp & matching CDP - same with Rega, the Rega Elex has a decent phono stage & Apollo R CDP.

Try and demo lots and lots of speakers.

If it were me:

Rega Elex R £900

Rega Apollo R £550

Rega RP3 £550

Rega RS5 Speakers £1000

That would be a seriously nice Vinyl/Digital system for £3k

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
stevebrock said:
My advice is go and listen to a few syatems ie Roksan as you mentoned, Naim Nait 5si amp & matching CDP - same with Rega, the Rega Elex has a decent phono stage & Apollo R CDP.

Good advice. And be sure to try the speakers at home (if possible) before committing.

If your CD player still works, keep it. There may be very little benefit in upgrading it. Best to set a budget for your speakers (maybe £2K), and take it from there.

Matt

VOE

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
matt49 said:
stevebrock said:

Good advice. And be sure to try the speakers at home (if possible) before committing.

If your CD player still works, keep it. There may be very little benefit in upgrading it. Best to set a budget for your speakers (maybe £2K), and take it from there.

Matt

FWIW I'd offer very contrary advice. There will probably be every benefit upgrading the CDP. An old Marantz CDP will probably not be up to the standards of the best today.......nah, it won't. I have upgraded CDP's numerous times over the past 30 years and have continually been pleasantly surprised how much better than have got over time. My 'go to' source will always be vinyl because it always sounds much better than CD but that's another story.

If I was you I'd spend as much as possible upgrading the CDP once you have bought the amps mentioned. To quote Matt in reverse, I'd say if your speakers are ok stick with for the time being and maybe upgrade later. Spending 2K on speakers to fire a tired old Marantz thro' seems a tad excessive. I've been a lurker here for some time so I know some believe than speakers are the be and end all BUT the argument that says "Rubbish in = rubbish out" is so true. I'm not saying your Marantz is rubbish you understand but the point is you only get out what goes in, nothing more!

A better source will give a more fuller rounded sound with better s/stage, dynamics, bass and more realistic mid-range. Most CDP's over £1000 today are quite good. As this mag will tell you it is possible to pay up to £75,000 if you have rich pockets. Most of us haven't but you get the point. There are digital sources and then there are GOOD digital sources. I heard a Roksan CDP recently but forgotten which one.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
matt49 said:
stevebrock said:

Matt

I'd like to pick up on that comment too. Matt's advice might be true of you were looking at an amp that had a built-in DAC. However, if your considerations centre around the Roksan Kandy, which doesn't have digital inputs, you'll need to get the very best out of your source. In my opinion the Roksan CD/amp is a wonderful combination that's effortlessly powerful and really musical without being at all harsh: a trait of many modern systems based on my experience at hifi shows. I've noted that some posters really don't like this combo; each to his own, but I would have thought their opinion was based on a demo with very poorly matched speakers.

If I were in your shoes I'd ask the shop to set up a demo with the Roksans with a few different speakers to try to find something to your personal preference, then if possible, after providing your dealer details of your budget, room size, flooring type, necessary positioning of speakers within the room and musical preferences, ask them to set up a combination they'd recommend. It just might throw in a left-field suggestion that floats your boat.

and finally, take your time with any demo. Something that wows you in 5 minutes can be fatiguing in the long term, which should be many years if you select wisely.

Happy hunting.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
The Roksan K2 seems to divide opinion. I tried it 2x with several different speakers, yes it has lots of power in that price range, for me it lacked some clarity probably because there was more bass than most amps. I heard the Creek 50A at same demo and I thought that was better. However after many demos I heard the AVI 9RSS and these to me were better than anything else I had heard, they seemed so well matched and for the price I don't think they can be beaten. Just add a source, they have dac and amps inside the speakers. Ive had them over a 1 year now and they are still just as good, no regrets and no thoughts of changing.

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
dangerouspartridge said:
Hi all,

Sorry about my first ever post - doesn't bode well!

Well, here goes, 2nd time lucky!

I'm looking at upgrading my 15 year old - with a few upgrades throughout its lifetime - hifi system. I'm currently running a very old Marantz CD player, Cambridge Audio A1 amp and Kef IQ1's. I use my Sky Box for digital radio and I've got a Numark Direct drive turntable that I use from time to time. It's done me prode over the last 15 years but I think now is time for an upgrade.

I've got around £3000 to spend on a new system and I'm looking for advice from people in the know - you lot. I'm out of the hifi loop at present so all help is much appreciated.

What I've got in mind at present is the Roksan Kandy K2 pre and power amp (I can got both for £1220) and the CD player in that range. Looking to pair with the Tannoy DC6T SE or B&W 683 S2's.

I listen to a wide variety of music, anything from Nick Drake right through to Chemical Brothers so need smoething that can provide a good listening experience all round.

My room is 8x5 and has carpet covered floors.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

There is no Roksan Kandy pre amp as far as I know only power amp .

The B&W 683 S2 is a very difficult speakers to drive the B&W 684 is better choice .

There are better options than the Roksan Kandy CD such as the Rotel RCD-1570 , Audiolab 8200CD act.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Overdose said:
A pair of ADM9RSS with a suitable phone stage and record player.

Sound advice, still available at £1250, 2 optical 1 analogue inputs, remote controlled active standmounts. Incredible VFM, matching sub if needed later and loads of money from your £3k budget for other things. Job's a good ún.

:cheers:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
If I had £3k, I would be looking at Linn Sneaky + Croft Integrated (with phono) + Kef R300.....though this depends on going over to streaming.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Does your Marantz CDP have digital outputs? If so, you could add a reasonably priced outboard DAC, e.g. the Musical Fidelity V90-DAC (£200) or the Micromega MyDAC (£260), which would make a very small dent in your budget.

Matt

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
If I had £3k, I would be looking at Linn Sneaky + Croft Integrated (with phono) + Kef R300.....though this depends on going over to streaming.

if the Croft couldn't control the speakers (I haven't heard them together), then probably the new MF M3si.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
You've got really nice advices so far! Just adding to your list another solution, Exposure 2010 amp and matching CD player.

I like the all Rega solution that Steve give to you as well!

Go out and demo, have fun, take home to demo what you like if they let you....

i've I said Have FUN????

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
relocated said:
Overdose said:
A pair of ADM9RSS with a suitable phone stage and record player.

Sound advice, still available at £1250, 2 optical 1 analogue inputs, remote controlled active standmounts. Incredible VFM, matching sub if needed later and loads of money from your £3k budget for other things. Job's a good ún.

3k won't buy ATC, won't buy Electrocompaniet.. so yeah.. AVI ADM9rs + whatever you need ( sub, cd transport, computer, phono stage, deck)

nima

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Visit few dealers, try what Rega, Roksan, Naim, some other combos do for you. Buy CD + amp now, use it for a while, add TT phono stage.

When you get bored, pick the speakers. Try them at home, before you buy.

As Isac69 says there is no K2 preamp (there is a K2 integrated and a K2 power, you do not need both.

If you are going down the amplifier route as opposed to powered / active speakers then look for a good integrated amp.

For this sort of money it is maybe not a good idea to go for a 'two-box' pre / power setup as you are simply wasting money on the extra enclosure costs.

Presumably you want to keep both CD and vinyl seperates and are not looking at the computer audio route?

dangerouspartridge

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for all the advice. I now realise I know a lot less than I thought, and I am more driven by five star reviews getting a system that will complement my listening habits.

I really waht a set-up that is amp driven; not active speaker driven. If you by active speakers and they break along the way you are then having to reinvest in the whole set-up, whereas if you by a whole separates set-up you can replace and upgrade along the way - that's just my thoughts.

I've looked at the Roksan again and i was wrong, it's just an integrated amp and then an extra power amp if required. It does mean if I go for the Roksan integrated I won't be able to bi-wire my speakers.

I'm gonna start from scratch, taking into account all your advice. Need to listen to a few different set-ups to see what suits my needs best.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm delighted you are going to pause and take stock of what's available....and see what suits your taste.

For example, things to consider:

SOURCE: CDP (+ DAC?) vs Streamer; include Preamp or not

AMP: Class AB vs Class D; integrated DAC or not

SPEAKERS: Standmount vs Floorstander; Sealed vs Reflex (ported front or back) vs Transmission Line

Ps. Another good amp to consider would be the Sugden Mystro.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
dangerouspartridge said:
Thanks for all the advice. I now realise I know a lot less than I thought, and I am more driven by five star reviews getting a system that will complement my listening habits.

I really waht a set-up that is amp driven; not active speaker driven. If you by active speakers and they break along the way you are then having to reinvest in the whole set-up, whereas if you by a whole separates set-up you can replace and upgrade along the way - that's just my thoughts.

I've looked at the Roksan again and i was wrong, it's just an integrated amp and then an extra power amp if required. It does mean if I go for the Roksan integrated I won't be able to bi-wire my speakers.

I'm gonna start from scratch, taking into account all your advice. Need to listen to a few different set-ups to see what suits my needs best.

Well if something breaks in your active speakers then just get it repaired? Why can't you bi-wire with RK amp amp or do you mean bi-amp? As for upgrading actives yes you may have to chang them, sell them and buy new ones but many have come from separate systems and found them better.

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I would get out to dealers and hear as much as possible, even if its not got a 5* review ;)

I would certainly not discount Ex-Demo/Trade in stuff, you can get a lot more for your money.

For example, recently, there was an Accuphase E212 for under £1k, lightly used from a deaaler, and likely to be better than anything new.

If you dont mind second hand, then you can get even better value, for example I picked up a Bryston B60 for around £600 and my current Rega R9s for 1/4 of their new price. Both of those together would be under half your current budget, for example.

I would certainly spend the least on a CDP, say even if its a couple of hundred quid, if that. FWIW I use a old Battleship DVD player which does the job.

Depending on the amount of LP's/Singles you have, I would not spend too much on the TT, maybe something easy to use and entry like the Rega RP1, fuss free maintenance and use.

VOE

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Not spending much on a source is a BIG mistake IMHO. £200 on a CDP? Well, that might get you a second hand Arcam CD73 and whilst a perfectly good CDP for its original £450, it can't hold a candle to an FMJ CD37 (originally £1300), let alone a Bryston BCD-1 (£2500) or an Accuphase DP-75V (£8000). I know because I have heard all the above for a considerable length of time playing with different amps and speaker setups.

Dismissing digital sources as "all the same" is a big mistake easily made today when boys' eyes light up at the sight of BIG speakers in the shop window. The better and more revealing ai good set of speakers are, the weaker it all sounds with a crummy source. I fed an Arcam Alpha 9 (no slouch at £900 c. 1998) through a beautiful pair of 1980's Magnepans. Whilst it sounded pretty good, they soon revealed certain weaknesses in the source. A Bryston on loan soon sorted that. Sadly, I couldn't find an ex-dem example at the time otherwise I would have snapped it up.

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
VOE said:
Not spending much on a source is a BIG mistake IMHO. £200 on a CDP? Well, that might get you a second hand Arcam CD73 and whilst a perfectly good CDP for its original £450, it can't hold a candle to an FMJ CD37 (originally £1300), let alone a Bryston BCD-1 (£2500) or an Accuphase DP-75V (£8000). I know because I have heard all the above for a considerable length of time playing with different amps and speaker setups.

Dismissing digital sources as "all the same" is a big mistake easily made today when boys' eyes light up at the sight of BIG speakers in the shop window. The better and more revealing ai good set of speakers are, the weaker it all sounds with a crummy source. I fed an Arcam Alpha 9 (no slouch at £900 c. 1998) through a beautiful pair of 1980's Magnepans. Whilst it sounded pretty good, they soon revealed certain weaknesses in the source. A Bryston on loan soon sorted that. Sadly, I couldn't find an ex-dem example at the time otherwise I would have snapped it up.

That may be, but with a budget of around £3k, then I think around £200 on a digital source is a reasonable amount. Digital sources are so good these days, I really would recommend spending a large portion of the budget on the Speakers, then Amp then room treatment before the digital source. IMO and IME.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts