£2k speaker shortlist - help please

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
I am still toying with idea of buying a new set of speakers - kit listed below - buget of around £2k will consider standmounts or floorstanders - only must have are

bi-wireable so i can biamp using my two P35s
matching centre speaker which i will run off onkyo 876

I have liked MA speakers previously so i am going to start with looking at both the GS60s and PL100s which are over budget but sure I can get a deal on them - although the price of the matching centre for the pls may rule them out

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
The GS60 would be my choice for your budget and room size... especially if you plan to use it with your MF gear (excellent synergy IMO).... another option (at least worth auditioning) would be the new B&W CM9....

A

Anonymous

all i can suggest is what is listed below, based on what i have listened to:

1.PMC FB1i
2 proac respnse d15 ( now replaced by d18)
3 MA gs20/gs60
4 spendor s8e

youll defiantley get a good deal on the gs60's (£1850 from sevenoaks yeovil)
and possibly on the spendors. (£1870) RRP £2200

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi

As far as MA is concerned, you'll find the PL100's will sound better than the GS60's. We've had the PL100's (front and rear) with the PLC150 and PLW15 running in our dem room for a week or so, and they sound fabulous, and obviously they'll be a notch up with music too over the GS's. We do have an 'imperfect' pair with stands which will be well within your budget, which may also ease the hit on the centre speaker, making the combination £3k or less.

Alternatives would be the KEF XQ range, which lend themselves extremely well to AV as well as music. I would also look at the Proac models.

Regards

David

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Ajani:The GS60 would be my choice for your budget and room size... especially if you plan to use it with your MF gear (excellent synergy IMO).... another option (at least worth auditioning) would be the new B&W CM9....

I'd have to go with Anjani's options as well.

The GS60's are superb speakers (althought i havent heard the PL100's).

The B&W CM9's seem to be getting a good review recently as well; my partner has the CM7's and theyre superb with acoustic and femal vocals (well all vocals TBH).

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:
Hi

As far as MA is concerned, you'll find the PL100's will sound better than the GS60's. We've had the PL100's (front and rear) with the PLC150 and PLW15 running in our dem room for a week or so, and they sound fabulous, and obviously they'll be a notch up with music too over the GS's. We do have an 'imperfect' pair with stands which will be well within your budget, which may also ease the hit on the centre speaker, making the combination £3k or less.

Alternatives would be the KEF XQ range, which lend themselves extremely well to AV as well as music. I would also look at the Proac models.

Regards

David

David - how imperfect - colour - price? If you don't want to say on here let me know and will email you direct to store

thanks

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
clivej:all i can suggest is what is listed below, based on what i have listened to:

1.PMC FB1i
2 proac respnse d15 ( now replaced by d18)
3 MA gs20/gs60
4 spendor s8e

youll defiantley get a good deal on the gs60's (£1850 from sevenoaks yeovil)
and possibly on the spendors. (£1870) RRP £2200

thanks clivej will take a look

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
matengawhat:FrankHarveyHiFi:Sorry, can't really say on here, probably said too much already! David - have emailed you direct - with thanksCan't see an e-mail - try the one in my sig :)

A

Anonymous

bobbyg81:Not the prettiest speakers but ATC SCM40s are worth a look.

You'll just need a mini power station to get these to sound at their best
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Mordaunt Short Performance 6's maybe? Someone on here posted he got a deal on those, 1895 if I recall correctly.

Just out of curiosity though, why are you shieing away from your Focal's, I thought you liked them? :)

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Jan Hibma:Mordaunt Short Performance 6's maybe? Someone on here posted he got a deal on those, 1895 if I recall correctly.

Just out of curiosity though, why are you shieing away from your Focal's, I thought you liked them? :)

i do really like the way they sound but mainly changing to reduce speaker count and for asthetics - i run two sep systems one for stereo and one for home cinema - want to change my main stereo speakers and then remove my arcam front 3 speakers and wire the outs into my stereo amp or at least that the plan

also i have a spare p35 thst i want to wire back in at some point - the focal's were th wrng speaker for me to buy for my setup but glad i ve owned a pair as they are fantastic

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:

Regards

David

Hi David,

That's an interesting point to me as I am wondering how Kef XQ40 compares to MonitorAudio GS60. I now have the Monitor Audio RS8 partenered with the MF kit you can see below on my signature. I like the KEF a lot (aesthetically) as I haven't had the chance to give them an audition.

Do you think those KEF would get on well with the MF kit? Is The MonitorAudio a better speaker?

For Mantengawhat's short list I would add the KEFs XQ40. They've been rated very high in asian (japanese) press as speaker of the year. They're very popular in western markets but not here in Europe (and I wonder why?).

Can WhatHIFI team give their point of view for this?

Thanks.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
smo: Hi David,

That's an interesting point to me as I am wondering how Kef XQ40 compares to MonitorAudio GS60. I now have the Monitor Audio RS8 partenered with the MF kit you can see below on my signature. I like the KEF a lot (aesthetically) as I haven't had the chance to give them an audition.

Do you think those KEF would get on well with the MF kit? Is The MonitorAudio a better speaker?I can't see any reason why the KEF's wouldn't work well with the MF's at all.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:smo: Hi David,

Do you think those KEF would get on well with the MF kit? Is The MonitorAudio a better speaker?

I can't see any reason why the KEF's wouldn't work well with the MF's at all.

I know that connecting a pair the speaker cables from my MF amp to a pair of KEF XQ40 would work (it's going to produce sound)

I meant if the sinergy between electronics and speakers is good, just in case you have had the chance to try it.

I'd like to know how do you rate them (KEF XQ40 vs MonitorAudio GS60 - if their sound is similar or build quality is better in one of them...).

Thanks in advance.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
smo:FrankHarveyHiFi:smo: Hi David,

I can't see any reason why the KEF's wouldn't work well with the MF's at all.

I know that connecting a pair the speaker cables from my MF amp to a pair of KEF XQ40 would work (it's going to produce sound)

I meant if the sinergy between electronics and speakers is good, just in case you have had the chance to try it.

I'd like to know how do you rate them (KEF XQ40 vs MonitorAudio GS60 - if their sound is similar or build quality is better in one of them...).

Thanks in advance.

KEF and Musical Fidelity should also have good synergy... Though, I've never tried any KEFs, I know that KEF and Musical Fidelity now use each others' products at trade shows and exhibitions (which I assume is why Monitor Audio stopped mentioning on their website, that they use MF gear to test their speakers)....

A

Anonymous

Ajani:KEF and Musical Fidelity should also have good synergy... Though, I've never tried any KEFs, I know that KEF and Musical Fidelity now use each others' products at trade shows and exhibitions (which I assume is why Monitor Audio stopped mentioning on their website, that they use MF gear to test their speakers)....

That's good news...

The KEF XQ40 can be a lot cheaper than the MA GS60 here where I live.

Just another question (sorry for hijacking your post Matengawhat
emotion-4.gif
) but how would compare the MA Gold and Silver Range (to be more specific RS8 and GS60)? Better stereo image? Cleaner sound? Better overall presentation?

Cheers.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
no probs - i used to run the br2s then moved to the RS6s then onto the RS8s which is why i have a strong bond to MA and why i thought i would start with MA moving forward

gs have better stereo imaging deeper more controlled bass but are far more clear/clinical in sound

just can't decide what finish i want for my speakers this is across all designs - always had natural oak previously then recently bought the focals but can't live with the mahogany as doesn't match my coffee table - so thinking of either going back to oak speakers or a lot these days seems to be piano black which i think looks really smart

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
will also have to give the kefs XQ40s a listen but have always bought other speakers after demos going back to when i bought the mission 731 over the kef coda 7s which to me just seemed bass light and then constantly as upgraded through the ranks

A

Anonymous

Please let me (us) know if you make it to give a listen to the kefs. I'd like to know your opinion and if you can compare them to the GS60... the better. I'd like to know how deep and tridimensional the KEF stereo imaging is because of their uni-Q, as they claim you get the proper stereo imaging regardless where you're sitting.

IMHO I'd choose the piano black lacquer finish (in both the KEF or MA) because black always get on well with the rest of your furniture colors. Even if you find a speaker with the same colour of your furniture, the tonality is very difficult to match...

Happy speaker auditions! (both KEF's and MA should be great.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts