£2500-£3k budget - Streamer, Amp and Speakers

frazzle

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
Hi, I have an opportunity this year to upgrade my hifi with a potential budget somewhere around the £2500- £3k mark. I have an older setup, which is at the budget end and would like some advice on where I should best spend my money. I'm happy enough to replaceall three elements of my current setup, however if its better to focus my budget on one or two areas then I'm equally happy to do that.

My current set up consists of:

Nad 352 integrated amplifier
Acoustic Energy Aegis Evo 3 floor standing speakers
Cambridge NP30 network audio streamer

My music is stored on a separate NAS in a variety of formats but predominately FLAC and WAV formats. Our living room is carpeted and 11ft by 16ft with the hifi- against the narrow end. Our music is generally rock, electronic and alternative - so anything from U2, Coldplay, the National, bluesy type stuff like Gary Clarke to electronic type music like Hot Chip and Unkle.

It would be really grateful for any advice or guidance as I have very little knowledge and would like to get a better understanding before going into my local hi-fi shops to start testing some kit. Its a lot of money, so I want to enjoy the experience but also get best value. Thanks

jmjones

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Hi Frazzle,

I'm getting sick of being blocked by this website when I make a recommendation!

One I've noticed for the electronics is the Cyrus Lyric 09 at bargain prices. Google it and look at audio express.

It's probably end of line, but look at the price and reviews. It streams as you would want, and requires an add-on for things like Spotify (Google dongle, Apple TV?) but it would take some beating at the price. Simple set up too, as in one box.Leaves you £1-1.5k for a speaker set.

If I was you, I would try the Cyrus against your streamer and use your existing speakers for comparison. Then audition other kit as required

The Lyric is a good suggestion.

I would also suggest you might upgrade your current streamer to the Cambridge CXN and your speakers could then be reviewed with this with a view to updating them in the future. The Tannoy XT8F would be one suggestion.

This would leave about a grand for an amp (Creek?). If you sold on all your current kit then this could be a suggestion.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Use your NP30 as a preamp to control 3k worth of whatever active speakers take your fancy :p

maybe something like this

https://m.thomann.de/gb/genelec_8351_awm.htm?o=31&ref=mmc_a_31&search=1452339542

use the SAM function for DSP to get a more accurate response in your room.

frazzle

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the responses so far. The Cyrus Lyric 09 suggestion is relly interesting. Also, I'd seen reviews of the Tannoy XT8F and had already shortlisted them.

So in terms of a streamer/amp combo, how do you think the Cyrus Lyric 09 would compare well against a Naim Nait 5si combined with my current Cambridge NP30 streamer?

I know would need to shortlist them but would be interested in your views.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
your streamer > optical out into Avi DM10

( or if you need new streamer: Pioneer N50A - £370)

Avi DM10 ( 325 watts per channel active speakers with dac/ preamp & remote control) - £1500

+ some quality stands

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
You already have a streamer?
Go to a few stores and try a few amp and speakers combo's.
You will know the combo when you find it.
Abrahamsen and IPL are worth a demo.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
lpv said:
your streamer > optical out into Avi DM10

( or if you need new streamer: Pioneer N50A - £370)

Avi DM10 ( 325 watts per channel active speakers with dac/ preamp & remote control) - £1500

+ some quality stands

Could even fit the matching sub into the budget for greater bass extension (considering that he owns and is looking at floor standing speakers).

ID. said:
Use your NP30 as a preamp to control 3k worth of whatever active speakers take your fancy :p

maybe something like this

https://m.thomann.de/gb/genelec_8351_awm.htm?o=31&ref=mmc_a_31&search=1452339542

use the SAM function for DSP to get a more accurate response in your room.

That's another good suggestion. I'd still recommend upgrading source to the CXN first though.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm with FennerMachine on this one. Not sure there's any benefit in 'upgrading' the streamer (unless you're going to add some functionality that's currently missing). Certainly you won't get much, if any, improvement in SQ.

So I'd spend the whole budget on amp and speakers.

Three thoughts:

1. active speakers: a pair of Neumann KH310A active monitors would fit the bill and come in under budget. There are plenty of other active speakers at or below this price: the one problem you might have is that they almost all look very functional.

2. amp and passive speakers: something like the Roksan K3 integrated amp will leave £1.25-1.75K in your budget for speakers.

3. power amp and speakers: since the Cambridge NP30 has a digital pre-amp, you could connect it direct to a power amp. Colin/Boggit of this parish does Hypex Class D power amps at great prices (< £1K) under the brand name Nord. One of his Nord power amps would give you all the power you need and leave you £1.5-2K for speakers.

Choice of speakers is a very personal thing. My advice would be to get out there and demo all the speakers you can in your price bracket.

frazzle said:
Thanks for the responses so far. The Cyrus Lyric 09 suggestion is relly interesting. Also, I'd seen reviews of the Tannoy XT8F and had already shortlisted them.

So in terms of a streamer/amp combo, how do you think the Cyrus Lyric 09 would compare well against a Naim Nait 5si combined with my current Cambridge NP30 streamer?

I know would need to shortlist them but would be interested in your views.

Both Cyrus and Naim have their own 'house sound'. You would really have to audition both. The Lyric has been drastically reduced in price and, if you can live with the looks, is an excellent all in one. This, however, can have its own drawbacks.

jmjones

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
There isn't a bad suggestion on here so far, but it certainly highlights how many different ways there are to do it.

On the Naim alternative, in my experience Naim is a "Marmite". People tend to strongly like or dislike the rhythmic nature of it. I've never warmed to it, but I can't knock the kit's capability.

It would appear you have a lot of listening to do! I would also +1 the comments on making sure you listen to the speakers in particular. Preferably as a home demo against your existing kit.

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
and ^1 to FennerMachine re the streamer. I'm addicted to my Vincent SV237 and would buy it again if I had my money back. That leaves £1250 for speakers and that's a huge auditioning session! Whatever you put on the end of the Vincent it'll sound amazing. Good luck and happy spending :)

www.vincentshop.co.uk

Andrew17321

Nov 12, 2008
Visit site
For £3029 you could buy two Devialet Phantoms and a Dialogue. This is a complete high resolution sound streaming system in itself, so there is no additional expence on wires etc. You would probably want to use your NP30 connected to the Dialog by an optical toslink for greater source versatility..

There is a lot of hype about the Phantoms on the Devialet website, but their sound quality for the price is unbelievably good. Forget the What HiFi review - it reviewed a single Phantom; the first time they have reviewed one of a pair of stereo speakers! Goodness knows why they did that; they clearly did not understand what they were. Mind you, they gave a single one four stars.

I moved from a more expensive set-up to the Phantoms about three months back and continue to be amazed by them. If you get a chance, listen to these before you commit to anything else.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Andrew17321 said:
For £3029 you could buy two Devialet Phantoms and a Dialogue. This is a complete high resolution sound streaming system in itself, so there is no additional expence on wires etc. You would probably want to use your NP30 connected to the Dialog by an optical toslink for greater source versatility..

Was going to suggest the same thing ... the normal Phantoms (not the Silver) are £1390 each, the dialog is £249.

I think the OP should draw up a feature list ... are you going to use a streaming service like Tidal, Deezer, Spotify etc.? Will you need Bluetooth support? Do you want system that's a it more lifestyle (smaller / less intrusive in the lounge) etc. etc.

frazzle

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
tino said:
Andrew17321 said:

Was going to suggest the same thing ... the normal Phantoms (not the Silver) are £1390 each, the dialog is £249.

I think the OP should draw up a feature list ... are you going to use a streaming service like Tidal, Deezer, Spotify etc.? Will you need Bluetooth support? Do you want system that's a it more lifestyle (smaller / less intrusive in the lounge) etc. etc.

Some amazing suggestions here - thanks to everyone! In terms of a feature list, maybe this helps...

- I have a CD player too which I have no intention of upgrading but I would like to have some sort of CD playing capacity. Therefore I guess I need to be able to amplify from a CD source which I assume removes options that have NP30 as the pre-amp.

- at the moment i have the three boxes (CD, Amp, Streamer) sat on a tv/Hi-fi unit with floorstanders either side, so no real pressure to reduce the physical size of the hi-fi

- may sound daft, but I do find the floor standing speakers visually appealing in the room, so floor standers are a preference purely from a personal aesthetic taste point of view

- not bothered about bluetooth

- I don't use spotify but would like to retain that as an opportunity

Hope this helps, and thanks again for everyones incredibly helpful suggestions.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
AVI DM10 - £1500

AVI subwoofer - £800

Then pair these up with the streamer of your choice Which range from an ATV to the Google Chromecast Audio or something more conventional hifi looking like a Cambridge Audio CXN or a Pioneer N50A. You could even use a dedicated computer as a streamer if you want.

emperor's new clothes

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi Frazzie,

I would keep the NP30 for now as MQA enabled streamers will be arriving soon. Auralic and Bluesound already announced. At least establish that any current streamers can be updated by firmware. MQA potential game changer despite the naysayers on here.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
emperor's new clothes said:
Hi Frazzie,

I would keep the NP30 for now as MQA enabled streamers will be arriving soon. Auralic and Bluesound already announced. At least establish that any current streamers can be updated by firmware. MQA potential game changer despite the nay-sayers on here.

Please explain, genuine interest here..

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
frazzle said:
- I have a CD player too which I have no intention of upgrading but I would like to have some sort of CD playing capacity. Therefore I guess I need to be able to amplify from a CD source which I assume removes options that have NP30 as the pre-amp.

- at the moment i have the three boxes (CD, Amp, Streamer) sat on a tv/Hi-fi unit with floorstanders either side, so no real pressure to reduce the physical size of the hi-fi

- may sound daft, but I do find the floor standing speakers visually appealing in the room, so floor standers are a preference purely from a personal aesthetic taste point of view

This (helpfully) narrows things down quite a bit.

Active speakers are now out of the question: you won't find good active floorstanders within budget (unless you go second hand).

I'd still recommend hanging on to the Cambridge NP30: every pound you spend on a new streamer will reduce your budget for speakers, which is IMO where the money really counts.

I'd begin from this perspective: what are the best floorstanding speakers I can get for around £2K. I'd then make a list of all the brands that you have access to (this will depend on what your local dealers stock). Then I'd audition all the relevant speakers. This will take time and effort, but your budget is such that the time and effort will be well rewarded.

Where are you, by the way? People here may be able to help by suggesting good dealers, which could save you a bit of time.

frazzle

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
Thanks again Matt. I'm up in Glasgow where there are two or three places.

I think I agree that I'll hang on to the NP30. Interesting that the general view is to spend more on speakers as I had previously thought that the amp would require greater spend.

From having a bit of a google I think the Rega Elex R and Naim Nait 5si are definitely in the frame, with the Tannoy XT8F speakers - that would come in around £2200. There may be speakers that would bring the game on further though I'm sure.

My father has a fairly advanced Naim set up and a pair of Linn speakers and that sounds incredible to my ears, even at low volume - though I suppose it probably should!

Lots for me to investigate and listen to, and all suggestions continue to be gratefully received. Thanks!

manicm

davedotco said:
Hi Frazzie,

I would keep the NP30 for now as MQA enabled streamers will be arriving soon. Auralic and Bluesound already announced. At least establish that any current streamers can be updated by firmware. MQA potential game changer despite the nay-sayers on here.

?

Please explain, genuine interest here..

Well it's promising hi-res audio quality at wav/flac file size.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
frazzle said:
Thanks again Matt. I'm up in Glasgow where there are two or three places.

Looks like you've got lots of good options: Spendor, KEF, Dali, Dynaudio, Focal, Tannoy, B&W, Quad, Kudos, Neat ... and probably others besides.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
http://www.whathifi.com/news/7digital-brings-mqa-hi-res-music-to-market

Hi DDC,

Sorry, watching rugby. 5 years of research by Bob Stuart and team ( he of Boothroid Stuart & Meridian up in cambridge) culminating in a new method of encoding and decoding Flac(?) based files. Some news here in WHF and on MQA/Meridian website.

Ahh, I see.

Thought it might be something interesting to me, clearly not. Should have known better...*wacko*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts